Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F14T

That Y-pillar looks a bit crude imo, it hardly fits together with the airbox.

The swan-neck connection to the wing however is very interesting.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f300v10
f300v10

Is this some form of legality template, or are they checking helmet clearance from the air intake? I've never seen them do this before:

RicerDude

f300v10 wrote:Is this some form of legality template, or are they checking helmet clearance from the air intake? I've never seen them do this before:

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 777298.jpg
Maybe Raikkonen is testing out a new seat? Could be he wasn't comfortable in the old one.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yes the helmet must be below a line drawn from the roll hoop to a crash structure part on the tub.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

idfx

muhammad-13 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:There seems to be some sort of jacketing over the heat exchanger, how does the air exit out?

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 777183.jpg
Megaphone type exhaust?
I wonder why they are covering it.
I could be wrong, the interior must have some details. curiosity.
----------

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Thanks for the pics guys, finally Ferrari brings the monkey seat and reduces the wing supports to only 1.

So with only one support they reduced a (very) little amount of drag, I wonder where they reduced the rest to be able to use the monkey set without adding way more drag to the car....

f300v10
f300v10

Nice shot of the internal channels in the new front brake duct via @piusgasso:

hollus

The single swan neck support is not about reducing drag as much as it is about increasing downforce. It frees the underside of the wing of any obstructions, and it is the underside that contributes the most to downforce. You'd rather have separation happen above the wing than under it.
Rivals, not enemies.

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2014 - Thursday (08.05.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Finally a monkey seat =D>

Ferrari are building nicely I think.

bhall
bhall

armyk wrote:[...]

I believe they have reason to have higher sidepods for example cooling system or downforce, I do not know.
Main problem is still PU, not sure if thy can improve it that fast to compete with Merc.
In light of a PU reported to be too heavy by some 13kg, I wonder if it's a consequence of using a relatively short wheelbase to save weight. It's easier to maintain sufficient torsional rigidity in a shorter car while keeping things light. But, it makes packaging a bitch and a half.

Snelle Eddy
Snelle Eddy

I'm watching FP1 now and just saw Fernando drive with the flow-viz on his FW and front suspension. However, couldn't tell if it was a new FW, looks similar to the one they have been racing so far. Anyone who knows or sees more than I do?

enz0
enz0

Snelle Eddy wrote:I'm watching FP1 now and just saw Fernando drive with the flow-viz on his FW and front suspension. However, couldn't tell if it was a new FW, looks similar to the one they have been racing so far. Anyone who knows or sees more than I do?
it looked a bit flatter than the previous iteration

Snelle Eddy
Snelle Eddy

enz0 wrote:
Snelle Eddy wrote:I'm watching FP1 now and just saw Fernando drive with the flow-viz on his FW and front suspension. However, couldn't tell if it was a new FW, looks similar to the one they have been racing so far. Anyone who knows or sees more than I do?
What do you mean with flatter? That's a very general remark. If you mean they are running less wing(angle), than that needn't be a new FW.

Ted Kravits just showed the FW of Ferrari; the endplate is slightly different. I find it interesting that the Ferrari FW endplate is quite simple, whereas the Merc one (for example) is pretty complex with all the outwashes for air (sorry, I'm Dutch, don't know how to call it). Is Ferrari creating the same effect in a different way? I know about the differences in design philosophies, but still the endplate of Ferrari is one of the simplest.

enz0
enz0

Snelle Eddy wrote:
enz0 wrote:
What do you mean with flatter? That's a very general remark. If you mean they are running less wing(angle), than that needn't be a new FW.

Ted Kravits just showed the FW of Ferrari; the endplate is slightly different. I find it interesting that the Ferrari FW endplate is quite simple, whereas the Merc one (for example) is pretty complex with all the outwashes for air (sorry, I'm Dutch, don't know how to call it). Is Ferrari creating the same effect in a different way? I know about the differences in design philosophies, but still the endplate of Ferrari is one of the simplest.
The upper flap seemed a bit smaller than before