Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SpainFAN
SpainFAN

Re: Ferrari F14T

henra wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Coke bottle separation? Where did word of this come from?
Just a wild assumption on my part.
They have a very agressive angle/radius behind the widest Point of the sidepods plus a relatively low overhanging cooling exit. This overhanging part will increase steepness of the anyway steep adverse pressure gradient in the coke bottle area.
Seeing the red cars often dancing around with their rear end lead me to believe there might be an issue with stability of rear DF. Random separation of coke bottle flow could potentially cause such.
That is one possibility! :wink:

wesley123
wesley123

henra wrote: They have a very agressive angle/radius behind the widest Point of the sidepods
Ferrari updated their sidepods in Barcelona, the radius was retained.
plus a relatively low overhanging cooling exit. This overhanging part will increase steepness of the anyway steep adverse pressure gradient in the coke bottle area.
It's not that much different compared to others, it's only a bit shorter.
Seeing the red cars often dancing around with their rear end lead me to believe there might be an issue with stability of rear DF. Random separation of coke bottle flow could potentially cause such.
Or power delivery of their V6 engine. Or mechanical (lack of) abilities.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

That means
Ferrari
Mercedes

zioture
zioture

tony77g wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Ferrari has changed the front suspension for Monaco so the front tyres don't rub.

http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... nsioni.jpg

Piola says Ferrari have modified the central cooling vent to a larger version, although I can't tell.

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 54235a.jpg
via OmniCorse.it

http://www.f1sport.it/wp-content/upload ... monaco.jpg
what are the changes in Monte Carlo?
It look like Spain

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

zioture wrote:
what are the changes in Monte Carlo?

Look at the difference in size of the central cooling outlet.

Spain

Monaco

bhall
bhall

johnsonwax wrote:
Bob Brown wrote:So, cliff notes would be..... cool design, but too heavy.
And making matters worse, the weight is added above the cars center of mass.
The PU's center of gravity is dictated by the regulations. The Ferrari PU might be heavier overall, but I doubt its CoG is higher than the Mercedes or Renault simply because they're not allowed to be all that low anyway.

5.4.2 The centre of gravity of the power unit may not lie less than 200mm above the reference plane.

wesley123
wesley123

I don't think cooling systems are part of the Power Unit? And the intercooler seems to be situated over this 200mm.

bhall
bhall

I think it's a bit difficult to visualize when everything is mounted to the chassis, because the Ferrari PU looks considerably more cluttered with its tubular manifold and whatnot. But, while the intercooler is mounted above the ICE, it's within the "V" and not all that high in the grand scheme of things. And you also have to consider that the Mercedes ICE is heavily reinforced, especially at the top, to maintain absolute rigidity in order for the 125,000RPM shaft that connects the turbine to the compressor to spin freely. Its turbine is also mounted quite higher than the Ferrari turbine.

Basically, the Ferrari intercooler occupies the same space as Mercedes' compressor/MGU-H/turbine assembly.

Mercedes

Ferrari

I think both could have done better if the regulations allowed it, but that's racing, so everything is relative, yanno?

EDIT: I think you're right about the cooling systems and the PU, though. The intercooler is included in the PU as far as what manufacturers are required to package for customer teams, but they're defined within different sections of the technical regulations.

wesley123
wesley123

I have to agree with that it is similar to other teams that have stuff mounted within the V. It raises the CoG for all of them.

But with more thought into it, I don't think the increase in CoG is that much of an issue. It is some neat packaging that clears up some space, both in cooling as general packaging. Plus, it improves on plumbing, and in effect also plumbing weight.

CoG increase can (afaik) very well be overcome by the mechanical setup, and a FRIC system can possibly also help in the increase in body roll. The CoG can easily be "fixed" while there is no immediate fix for the aerodynamic performance or plumbing weight and plumbing in general.

bhall
bhall

I agree in that I don't think CoG is a big issue here. The caveat, however, is I only know enough about the concept in general to know that a lower CoG is gooder.
Blackout wrote:That means
Ferrari
Mercedes
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/edfwvc19.jpg
I think the Ferrari turbine/MGU-H/compressor assembly is mounted vertically behind the ICE with the turbine at the bottom.

ringo

Their water radiator doesn't have to be smaller than an intercooler of an air to air either.
We've seen that the sidepods aren't necessarily smaller than the force india's or the redbull's.

It clearly is a heavier system with a COG that is high, even though it is offset with a lower turbo and MGUH motors.
As for the power of the engine, the intake manifold seems to be a bit compromised, the engine also has a wider angle?
So you may find sidepod space is even more of a premium, especially since the hot exhaust pipes are pushed wider if the engine's angle is wider.

Anyhow, this confirms the first water intercooler package. I still have my doubts about the mercedes powered cars. They seem to be air to air, judging by the charge pipes.
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote: Anyhow, this confirms the first water intercooler package. I still have my doubts about the mercedes powered cars. They seem to be air to air, judging by the charge pipes.
Lotus is confirmed and Mercedes is pretty obvious.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

bhall wrote:I agree in that I don't think CoG is a big issue here. The caveat, however, is I only know enough about the concept in general to know that a lower CoG is gooder.
Blackout wrote:That means
Ferrari
Mercedes
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/edfwvc19.jpg
I think the Ferrari turbine/MGU-H/compressor assembly is mounted vertically behind the ICE with the turbine at the bottom.
Is that legal?
5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to
a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre line.

bhall
bhall

Nope, you were right.

Man, I seriously can't read lately.

ringo

Owen.C93 wrote:
ringo wrote: Anyhow, this confirms the first water intercooler package. I still have my doubts about the mercedes powered cars. They seem to be air to air, judging by the charge pipes.
Lotus is confirmed and Mercedes is pretty obvious.
How so?
You will need to explain how is that obvious.
For Sure!!