Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TechF1

Re: Ferrari F14T

Interesting pic posted on Omnicorse 8)

George-Jung
George-Jung

Please help me get up to speed, what is so interesting about the pic?

TechF1

George-Jung wrote:Please help me get up to speed, what is so interesting about the pic?
The new rear brake basket duct...

BoxStop

TechF1 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:Please help me get up to speed, what is so interesting about the pic?
Sorry for ask but do you have and old photo of the brake, so we can see the difference? Thanks :)

gruntguru
gruntguru

johnsonwax wrote:
Bob Brown wrote:But the lower turbo lowers the center of mass, and frees up sidepods area.
I suspect that it comes out worse. The turbo is being lowered but is closer to the center of mass. The influence of mass is proportionate to the square of the distance, and the added mass of the water intercooler is quite high up. On paper it probably looked a little slower in the corners but higher enough power/more aero to compensate. Unfortunately against the Mercedes, it's neither yet, though they might do well against RB on the high speed tracks.
I know this was pointed out in another post but it is worth further clarification. The distance of any mass from the COG is only relevant to Moment of Inertia (MOI) calculations and the contribution of each mass is proportional to that distance squared. The total MOI value is sometimes referred to as "Roll Moment of Inertia" - not to be confused with "Roll Moment" see below. RMOI is "the tendency of the car to maintain its rotational speed about the roll axis" or if you prefer "the tendency to resist angular acceleration about the roll axis"

The contribution to CGH is proportional to distance (height actually) - not squared - and it is CGH that determines the tendancy of the car to roll in corners (this is "Roll Moment" - the torque that is trying to roll the car over during cornering). "Roll Moment" is completely different to RMOI.
je suis charlie

.poz
.poz

Blackout wrote:That means
Ferrari
Mercedes
http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/14/79/55/26/edfwvc19.jpg
NO. As you can see in this pic turbo and compressor are splitted too but less than on the merc PU.

The duct feeding the compressor is between the turbo and the compressor.

TechF1

BoxStop wrote:
TechF1 wrote:
Sorry for ask but do you have and old photo of the brake, so we can see the difference? Thanks :)
Spain:
Monaco:
But anyway it's a really new thing :lol:

atlantis
atlantis

I bet this development is specific for Monaco, maybe Singapore too?
There's a great difference in cooling requirements for Barcelona and Monaco: in Monaco speed is lower, so less air goes in to cool the brake and you have to open as many holes as you can.
Last edited by atlantis on 29 May 2014, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

George-Jung
George-Jung

I think it has more to do, to get the tyres in a better temp. range be heating them from the inside from the brake discs..

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

This thread is about actual, real parts on the 14T, not about hypothetical strategies for development of the 14T and for next years' car. Please stay on topic.

p.s. I asked nicely, you didn't listen, so your posts got deleted.

zioture
zioture

It is the same, in reality 'Ferrari has used what little Friday' as well as in spain in monaco, while Ferrari has used the big one in the race and qualifying
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
zioture wrote:
what are the changes in Monte Carlo?

Look at the difference in size of the central cooling outlet.

Spain
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 4b0941.jpg

Monaco
http://formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutton/2 ... 2my096.jpg

f1316
f1316

How can the image of the Ferrari in the rain be the Monaco race or Qualifying?

nismo

f1316 wrote:How can the image of the Ferrari in the rain be the Monaco race or Qualifying?
FP2 was rain.

McMrocks
McMrocks

nismo wrote:
f1316 wrote:How can the image of the Ferrari in the rain be the Monaco race or Qualifying?
FP2 was rain.
But doesn't the picture claim it was taken in Qualification?

But we believe the Author that Ferrari used the exactly same engine cover at both GP's.

IMO they simply choose the enigne cover(cooling exit) looking at the temperatures at each GP. No real developement and performance differnator

zioture
zioture

McMrocks wrote:
nismo wrote:
FP2 was rain.
But doesn't the picture claim it was taken in Qualification?

But we believe the Author that Ferrari used the exactly same engine cover at both GP's.

IMO they simply choose the enigne cover(cooling exit) looking at the temperatures at each GP. No real developement and performance differnator
I may be wrong, I have seen the small engine cover on Friday used both in Spain and in Monte Carlo and then they used the big engine cover in the race and qualifications also in Spain and Monte Carlo