WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
djos

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

I'd much rather Mazda ran something interesting like a twin rotor turbo-compounded (F1 style) rotary than a crappy diesel!
"In downforce we trust"

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

skgoa wrote:
PorscheLMp1Fan wrote:Ford, BMW and Mclaren/Honda are apparently very interested in P1 according to some (Ford might be gte though).
Ford might be making an announcement soon.
So, are you on r/WEC, Mulsanne Corner or the Collective? :D

I'm on all 3 aha. Mainly post on r/wec though.

zonk
zonk

zonk
zonk

Callum

skgoa wrote:
PorscheLMp1Fan wrote:Ford, BMW and Mclaren/Honda are apparently very interested in P1 according to some (Ford might be gte though).

To expand on the Honda/McLaren story: apparently they are looking at doing the same thing as Ferrari, i.e. they will enter LMP1 once the new rules are in effect in 2017. It is widely speculated/expected that the new cars will have production based looks. According to Hindy on this week's Midweek Motorsport, several OEMs are interested in entering but are saying that they need something that looks similar to what they sell.

Oh and it is claimed that Cosworth is building an engine for Nissan's LMP1 effort and that it's a V6 that's on the dyno already.
I heard last year that Jaguar had a car in the works as well....

Bob Brown

I don't follow WEC recently, but was wondering if you all knowledgeable people know when the Nissan LMP1 will be revealed?

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

Callum wrote:
skgoa wrote:

To expand on the Honda/McLaren story: apparently they are looking at doing the same thing as Ferrari, i.e. they will enter LMP1 once the new rules are in effect in 2017. It is widely speculated/expected that the new cars will have production based looks. According to Hindy on this week's Midweek Motorsport, several OEMs are interested in entering but are saying that they need something that looks similar to what they sell.

Oh and it is claimed that Cosworth is building an engine for Nissan's LMP1 effort and that it's a V6 that's on the dyno already.
I heard last year that Jaguar had a car in the works as well....

I heard it was an GT version of the F-type, I'll take any motorsport program from Jag though tbh :?: :?:

The Nissan we'll see when it's ready apparently. I'd hazard a guess they might show something at the Fuji round though.

Callum

Listening to RadioLeMans today they have mentioned 'slow zones'. This is the first time i've heard of these. Does anyone know how they work?

zonk
zonk

Callum wrote:Listening to RadioLeMans today they have mentioned 'slow zones'. This is the first time i've heard of these. Does anyone know how they work?
New Safety Car Procedure, Slow Zones for Le Mans Revealed: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/new- ... -revealed/
Last edited by zonk on 01 Jun 2014, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

Callum wrote:Listening to RadioLeMans today they have mentioned 'slow zones'. This is the first time i've heard of these. Does anyone know how they work?
Depending on the accident severity instead of calling a SC they can call this, effectively through the section of track you have to slow to 60kph, instead of just lifting as you would if it was a yellow flag. Then once you leave the section you are free to race again.

zonk
zonk

all the details on 32 page on this document art. 82.2
http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers ... ations.pdf

Holm86

Toyota TS030 flexing endplates:

Carbon
Carbon

Toyota TS030 flexing endplates:
Is that picture showing the wing flexing backwards, i.e. lessening the AoA?

zonk
zonk

Le Mans teams warned about flexible aerodynamics

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... odynamics/

Porsche 919 legality questioned at Le Mans

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... t-le-mans/

Callum

Is anyone going to this years race?

It's my first time back in 6 years. I can't wait. I really hope the weather is decent...