WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pierce89

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Rebellion given huge performance break

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114396
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zonk
zonk

Omg! Hope Duval is ok!Image
Last edited by zonk on 11 Jun 2014, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

oT v1
oT v1

zonk wrote:Omg! Hope Duval is ok![url]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp27-xsIYAA20VI.jpurl]
Damn that looks wrecked. What are you watching on? i only have audio

EDIT: just seen Eurosport mark on the edit, glad Ulrich said he's talking
Last edited by oT v1 on 11 Jun 2014, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams

dmjunqueira

Another picture of what's left of car. The fence on the side is destroyed too.

Holm86

Artur Craft

Toyota said their total power(when all the energy is being deployed) is around 1000HP, does anybody knows or have an estimate about Audi's?

I ask this because I saw on the live telemetry, shown on tv screen, that Toyota was reaching 343kph while Audi only 324. I guess this big difference can't all be down to drag as I suppose their drag values won't be that different

Also, impressive how the Michelin tyres performs. Haven said Toyota and Porsche are expected to do 14 laps per stint while Audi's 13. He also said they will do 5 stints per set of tyres during the day and 6 at night. So, that will mean around 1150km on a single set of tyres. :shock:

And the LMP1 tyres are narrower this year(31cm)

Pierce89

Artur Craft wrote:Toyota said their total power(when all the energy is being deployed) is around 1000HP, does anybody knows or have an estimate about Audi's?

I ask this because I saw on the live telemetry, shown on tv screen, that Toyota was reaching 343kph while Audi only 324. I guess this big difference can't all be down to drag as I suppose their drag values won't be that different

Also, impressive how the Michelin tyres performs. Haven said Toyota and Porsche are expected to do 14 laps per stint while Audi's 13. He also said they will do 5 stints per set of tyres during the day and 6 at night. So, that will mean around 1150km on a single set of tyres. :shock:

Ulrich is quoted saying Audi are down over 200 hp on Toyota for the first 4-5 seconds of every straight. Its in the pay section of autosport.I don't see how an Audi can ever pass a Toyota on the straight, because after that they're theortically equal around 520 hp.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zonk
zonk

Loic Duval’s massive crash at the Porsche Curves has forced Audi to build a brand new chassis in order to continue at the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans.
The team, which comes to the event with multiple spares including a spare chassis, has been forced to prepare an all-new No. 1 entry.
It is believed Audi can have the replacement car ready to go before Thursday night’s qualifying session. Driver Duval, who was transported from the car in an ambulance, has injuries that have been described as minor to his legs, but the extent of his readiness to drive is unknown.
http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/1 ... ew-chassis

Sombrero
Sombrero

Very impressive crash but the survival cell lools ok !

Lycoming
Lycoming

Pierce89 wrote:Rebellion given huge performance break

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114396
Do they have a larger fuel cell ready to go though? I'm wondering how they would take advantage of the fuel capacity increase.
Pierce89 wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:Toyota said their total power(when all the energy is being deployed) is around 1000HP, does anybody knows or have an estimate about Audi's?

Ulrich is quoted saying Audi are down over 200 hp on Toyota for the first 4-5 seconds of every straight. Its in the pay section of autosport.I don't see how an Audi can ever pass a Toyota on the straight, because after that they're theortically equal around 520 hp.
They'll have difficulty even catching them like that. More power down at the exit gets you much, much more laptime than power anywhere else.
Artur Craft wrote:Also, impressive how the Michelin tyres performs. Haven said Toyota and Porsche are expected to do 14 laps per stint while Audi's 13. He also said they will do 5 stints per set of tyres during the day and 6 at night. So, that will mean around 1150km on a single set of tyres. :shock:

Stint length is determined by fuel, not tires. Audi did 5 stints on the Michelins in the past, their performance had dropped off significantly by the end. 6 stints is really stretching it but at night with a long safety car period, it may be doable.

So, in the evet that Duval is deemed unfit to drive, who takes over?

Sombrero
Sombrero

Marc Gené is the officical Audi reserve driver for the 24h 2014.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Artur Craft

Pierce89 wrote: Ulrich is quoted saying Audi are down over 200 hp on Toyota for the first 4-5 seconds of every straight. Its in the pay section of autosport.I don't see how an Audi can ever pass a Toyota on the straight, because after that they're theortically equal around 520 hp.
Thanks !

The advantage is very big, then. Because at lower speeds the drag power is far less so the acceleration given from extra 200HP is maximized

I don't understand why Audi choose their Power/Engine configuration?! It's not even more fuel efficient, it seems #-o

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

my only guess is they decided they couldn't make a different configuration reliable enough, so they played it safe.

Sombrero
Sombrero