WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
krisfx
krisfx

Re: WEC (World Endurance Championship) 2014

Can anyone tell me why Stéphane Sarrazin is arguing with the marshals about getting out of his car?

He's caused a red flag for the session already, his car ain't going anywhere, so what has he got to gain?

machin

Lycoming wrote:
Do they have a larger fuel cell ready to go though? I'm wondering how they would take advantage of the fuel capacity increase.
I suspect that all the teams tanks are built slightly over-sized and then brought down to the limit using displacement balls:-

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/a ... /overview/

So they just need to take some out to get themselves up to the new limit.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

AnthonyG

krisfx wrote:Can anyone tell me why Stéphane Sarrazin is arguing with the marshals about getting out of his car?

He's caused a red flag for the session already, his car ain't going anywhere, so what has he got to gain?

He was trying to get a tow to the pits, so he could rejoin qualifying if the problem wasn't big.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

langwadt
langwadt

With all the crashes I wonder if any of the teams could get in trouble getting the required laps for all their drivers?

How strict are they with drivers getting the required number of laps and night driving , would an experienced
Le Man drivers be excluded from starting if they get in trouble and can't make it?

Sombrero
Sombrero

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

Audi should actually have more power than the Toyota when the hybrid boost is over as they get a better fuel flow allowance. Looking at speed data the Audi is only a few kph down on the Toyota.

The stint length being shorter is logical as they use more fuel per lap in their energy allowance the the two petrols, so after the two fuel types have been made equivalent they're using it faster.

AnthonyG

How is the Porsche compared to the Toyota stintweise? (lenght, tyre usage)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

At Spa is was pretty much the same. I'd expect them to both make 14 laps and quad stint tires.

Artur Craft

PorscheLMp1Fan wrote: Audi should actually have more power than the Toyota when the hybrid boost is over as they get a better fuel flow allowance. Looking at speed data the Audi is only a few kph down on the Toyota.
The stint length being shorter is logical as they use more fuel per lap in their energy allowance the the two petrols, so after the two fuel types have been made equivalent they're using it faster.
They should have a bit more power without hybrid boost, but when that happens, Toyota is already in a much higher speed due to much higher acceleration in low speed range when they have 200HP advantage.

The speed trap data says Toyota peaked at 339 but I have seen 343kph on the live telemetry during Practice, whereas Audi only reached 324kph on one of the straights and less in the others(again through live telemetry albeit I think it had 331 on speed trap).

On Eurosport, they said Toyota and Porsche are indeed expected to do 14 laps per stint while Audi 13. They also said teams are willing to use a set of tyres per 5 stints during the day and 6 during the night.

03threefiftyz
03threefiftyz

Is there a source for Practice/Qualifying trap speeds available?

aleks_ader

03threefiftyz wrote:Is there a source for Practice/Qualifying trap speeds available?
Offcourse: http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/race/results_2_2_2046.html

Here click on pdf for each session.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

RicerDude

Le Mans Legends entry list

PorscheLMp1Fan
PorscheLMp1Fan

Artur Craft wrote:
PorscheLMp1Fan wrote: Audi should actually have more power than the Toyota when the hybrid boost is over as they get a better fuel flow allowance. Looking at speed data the Audi is only a few kph down on the Toyota.
They should have a bit more power without hybrid boost, but when that happens, Toyota is already in a much higher speed due to much higher acceleration in low speed range when they have 200HP advantage.

The speed trap data says Toyota peaked at 339 but I have seen 343kph on the live telemetry during Practice, whereas Audi only reached 324kph on one of the straights and less in the others(again through live telemetry albeit I think it had 331 on speed trap).

On Eurosport, they said Toyota and Porsche are indeed expected to do 14 laps per stint while Audi 13. They also said teams are willing to use a set of tyres per 5 stints during the day and 6 during the night.
Of course, but Audi went that way with the power-train, and they were close at Silverstone.

Top speed isn't everything either, Audi have been through at 339 and Toyota at 343. However Toyota's 21.5 was set with a speed trap of just 298 :wtf:

I think the Audi's could have gone a bit quicker but the late slow zone halted any way of doing that.

MOWOG

Bit of a surprise here?

Le Mans qualifying results:

1. Toyota
2. Porsche
3. Toyota
4. Porsche
5. Audi
6. Audi
7. Audi

And the Nissan ZEOD-RC outqualifies the Corvettes and Aston Martins! 8)
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Lycoming
Lycoming

A bit I suppose. Porsche is higher up the order than expected. Audi behind by a bit more than I expected, with a very wide spread between the 3 cars; even #2 is a second slower than #3 and of course #1 is nowhere because of the fallout from Duval's crash. In the Peugeot days, Audi were able to win despite being behind by much larger margins in qualifying. Being down a few positions at the start is really not a big deal in the context of a 24 hour race. Being that far behind in pace... well, we'll find out soon enough.

Either way, looks set to be a very good race. May actually get up early tomorrow just to catch the start.