Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari F14T

This wing doesn't have enough "turn" on the upper flaps.

๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Pierce89

n smikle wrote:This wing doesn't have enough "turn" on the upper flaps.

http://i.imgur.com/6zCBQN8.jpg
If you notice that, I'm sure Ferrari has too, and tried it out. They ran a more agressive "turn out" in 2010-11, so I'm sure they know what they're doing. With a Merc engine, this chassis would win multiple races.
โ€œTo be able to actually make something is awfully niceโ€
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

โ€œI've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger goโ€
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

Pierce89 wrote:

If you notice that, I'm sure Ferrari has too, and tried it out. They ran a more agressive "turn out" in 2010-11, so I'm sure they know what they're doing. With a Merc engine, this chassis would win multiple races.
I'd doubt that. It's not only the engine that makes the difference, as evident in Canada.

I do agree that you can't just tell that they "don't have enough turn". Ferrari has their completely own philosophy of front wing shapes (although pure on intuition, I find their FW too simple compared to the complex ones of mercedes, red bull or indeed even mclaren).
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

Ironically, if you look at Red Bull's current front wing end plates, you'll find they've copied a concept Ferrari worked on in 2012 and 2013.

I think the design is a way to increase the effective span of the wing through the end plate, and it's likely Ferrari's highly publicized "correlation issues" prevented them from getting it to work. Hence, their use of a simpler design this year.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Constructr
Constructr

George-Jung wrote:Why do they put this yellow thing in front of the exhaust exit?
So no debris gets in the turbo. The pipe is quite short.

f300v10
f300v10

New sidepod flow condition on Kimi's car, and slightly different version (longer) of new engine cover:

From twitter feed of https://twitter.com/techF1LES

rich1701
rich1701

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114525

Does anyone have any pictures from the "sparks test"? :)

gavingav1
gavingav1

Snelle Eddy
Snelle Eddy

Are Fernando and Kimi driving with the updates? Anybody any info?

RZS10

seemed like it, yes

f1316
f1316

The question is more: which updates? Looked to me like the new, bigger bargeboards but I couldn't tell which engine cover.

PlatinumZealot

Pierce89 wrote:

Not talking about the end plates, good Sir. I was speaking of the front upper flaps. If you look on the Mclaren, Mercedes, Lotus and Force India the front upper flaps and the inboard vertical turning vane are shaped to work together to side-wash the air going over the outboard, upper shoulders of the tyre. This is not something that was commonly done before. Only Lotus did this concept in 2012 until about 2013 when other teams adopted the concept. Ferrari's upper front wing flaps are only midly turned outward and seem to not redirect the air outward as much.

2012 Lotus Front wing

2014 Mercedes front wing

I think Ferrari's upper wing flaps are quite old in design; intricate wing flaps have never been a priority for Ferrari. I think that needs to change with this formula. Ferrari needs to adopt the newer concept as any advantage is welcomed at this point. I won't be surprised if they introduced a new wing with the Vertical turning vane and aggressively turned upper flaps in a few races. (Silverstone?)
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

bhall II
bhall II

I think Ferrari's solution is actually better.

Mercedes' aggressive outwash design appears to be an attempt to provide more consistent downforce at the expense of peak downforce. The flaps direct more air flow around the high pressure area in front of the wheels, but the effective span of the wing is compromised in order to accommodate the sharper bend.

The more subtle bend of the Ferrari design, on the other hand, allows for a longer span, because it relies more on the steering angle of the wheels to direct air flow around them. That means there will tend to be a bigger variance between peak downforce created in turns, where it's needed most and where drag is relatively inconsequential, and downforce created along straights, where it's largely unneeded and induced drag is a penalty. That makes it more efficient.

However, the dependence on that complex interaction between the wing and the wheels also makes it difficult to get right. Ferrari has been working on it since 2012. But, I suspect there's a good reason why Red Bull, the undisputed Kings of Aero, have copied (and probably perfected) this concept.

As always, of course, I could be completely wrong, though.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Regarding the effective span of the front wing & consistent front downforce. This quote taken from the McLaren thread is germane:

Interesting about Mp4-29's behaviour in Turn 3. The Mclaren car has less understeer than even the Mercedes and Red Bull.
"Turn Three is understeer city, everyone is locking up here," reports Martin Brundle from trackside. "The best front-end here with less understeer is the McLaren, followed by the Mercedes. The worst is the Ferrari, it looks like they have terminal understeer."