A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: A shameless thread for the enginephiles

flynfrog wrote:I think it was an in house design

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ch ... vette-zr-1
"For model year 1990, Chevrolet released the Corvette ZR-1 with the radical overhead cam LT5 engine, which shared only the 4.4 inch bore spacing with any previous LT engine. The LT5 was engineered by Lotus Engineering in the UK headed by design manager David Whitehead, the engine was produced by Mercury Marine at Stillwater OK headed by Project Engineer Terry D. Stinson.[2] It was an all-aluminum 5.7 L (349 cu in) small-block V8, but was thoroughly different from any of the other Chevrolet 350 engines." Wikipedia page http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_ ... engine#LT5

And yea it was American owned but English designed on a famous American car...ironic much

flynfrog

a little group C

xpensive
xpensive

I love that beltdrive from the cam to the alternator! =D>
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Constructr
Constructr

One of the best threads ever!!!! =D>

nismo

nismo

RicerDude

Aston Martin B09/60 6000cc V12 the last of the V12 prototypes.

1970 Toyota 7 twin-turbo 5000cc v8

nismo

flynfrog

I think I need a ford Indy some day
1962 Ford Falcon with Indy car engine
The engine is a complete story in itself. Ford designed this engine in1965 and ran it several years at the Brickyard. Ford was able to win several times with these motors. Some time after the fact they sold the whole operation to A. J. Foyt, and this extremely rare 1965 Ford 4 cam Indy car engine was sold to Builder (Ken Thompson). There is probably more engineering in this car than in 10 normal cars. Ken built this car in its entirety and there is a reason for every single part on the car. With his background in Racing and growing up in NASCAR country Ken has a very unique skill set in fabrication and has been building parts for Holman Moody Racing for the past 18 years. So when he built this car he envisioned nothing less than a full, NASCAR- like construction with top-of-the-line parts. He wanted to go very fast but still be completely tractable on the street. The Interior of the car is completely stripped down to the bare component’s seats, dash, gauges, steering wheel, start switches, rearview mirror, shifter and don’t forget the custom built roll cage. The engine bay is tuxedo sharp, crisp, angular lines surrounding the brutally serious Indy small-block Ford. The quad-cam Ford defies conventional engine layout by positioning the intake manifold between the camshafts and has the exhaust exiting to the inside of the cylinder heads. The beautifully hand-crafted stainless steel exhaust runners snake their way forward, merging into a custom 8-1 collector which is in turn bolted to an enormous Turbinate’s GTK 1000 turbo.. The craftsmanship on this car is amazing and all of the parts together transform into one of the fastest hand built street legal cars ever. Builder claims it is capable of 11,000+rpm and 250mph. Here are the full details on the specs of the build.

flynfrog

RicerDude

1000hp turbocharged 4 rotor GS300.

djos

My god that motor is tiny!! Amazing stuff!!

I'd luv to see Mazda in the WEC with a rotary!
"In downforce we trust"

Sombrero
Sombrero

dren

Oh wow, I did not know about that engine. Thank's for the pamphlet scan, too. Ha, 7 main bearings!
Honda!

flynfrog

some cubic dollars for your day