Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
.poz
.poz

Re: Ferrari F14T

n smikle wrote:All thing being the same, a smaller turbine will cause you more back pressure. It has a smaller cross sectional area and smaller nozzles.
Your shaft Rpms will be much higher...so you have to use a small compressor wheel to prevent over-boosting the engine. (Compressor and turbine matching must be correct).
Not necessarily, you have a MGU-H that can prevent over-boosting. All those V6 concept rotate around this point: an huge turbo and the mgu-h slowing down it to harvest energy and to prevent over boost !
n smikle wrote: Your MGUH is spinning ever so faster, increasing heat and reducing bearing life.
MGU-H trurbocompressor link by must be of fixed speed ratio but this ratio can be different from 1:1

PlatinumZealot

.poz wrote:
n smikle wrote:All thing being the same, a smaller turbine will cause you more back pressure. It has a smaller cross sectional area and smaller nozzles.
Your shaft Rpms will be much higher...so you have to use a small compressor wheel to prevent over-boosting the engine. (Compressor and turbine matching must be correct).
Not necessarily, you have a MGU-H that can prevent over-boosting. All those V6 concept rotate around this point: an huge turbo and the mgu-h slowing down it to harvest energy and to prevent over boost !
That is not as efficient as correctly sizing your turbo charger. You will have alot of energy conversion losses not to mention reducing life of your MGUH electronics the more you use it.

.poz wrote:
n smikle wrote: Your MGUH is spinning ever so faster, increasing heat and reducing bearing life.
MGU-H trurbocompressor link by must be of fixed speed ratio but this ratio can be different from 1:1
Yes exactly, that doesn't change my point. If your small turbo spins 120,000 rpm Vs 100,000 rpm on my big turbo your MGUH will be spinning that much faster too.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

diffuser

MGU-H trurbocompressor link by must be of fixed speed ratio but this ratio can be different from 1:1[/quote]

Yes exactly, that doesn't change my point. If your small turbo spins 120,000 rpm Vs 100,000 rpm on my big turbo your MGUH will be spinning that much faster too.[/quote]

Why does a smaller turbo mean higher RPMS of the turbo ? I get the larger turbo is larger and therefore heaver so more resistance. You are still trying to turn the MGU-H. I would presume that a smaller turbo would not be able to take advantage of all the exhaust flow and be forced to allow more exhaust to bypass it ? So maybe your RPM is actually lower ?

trinidefender
trinidefender

diffuser wrote:MGU-H trurbocompressor link by must be of fixed speed ratio but this ratio can be different from 1:1
Yes exactly, that doesn't change my point. If your small turbo spins 120,000 rpm Vs 100,000 rpm on my big turbo your MGUH will be spinning that much faster too.[/quote]

Why does a smaller turbo mean higher RPMS of the turbo ? I get the larger turbo is larger and therefore heaver so more resistance. You are still trying to turn the MGU-H. I would presume that a smaller turbo would not be able to take advantage of all the exhaust flow and be forced to allow more exhaust to bypass it ? So maybe your RPM is actually lower ?[/quote]

You guys are getting a little confusing. When you say turbo can you specify compressor, turbine or both as it may be the case.

As far as I'm aware the compressor is sized normally for the power requirements but the turbine is what is oversized on the Mercedes engine to reduce back pressure throughout the rev range and take better advantage of MGU-H generation at high exhaust mass flows I.e. High power settings at optimal rpm.

PlatinumZealot

As anything in engineering, the desired result is what deternines if your contraption is oversized or undersized. No one can call the mercedes solution oversized if it works as intended. In this case the merc engineers have broad grins across their faces and the ferrari guys are frantically looking for someone to blame.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

trinidefender
trinidefender

n smikle wrote:As anything in engineering, the desired result is what deternines if your contraption is oversized or undersized. No one can call the mercedes solution oversized if it works as intended. In this case the merc engineers have broad grins across their faces and the ferrari guys are frantically looking for someone to blame.
Stop making this difficult. You know what I meant by oversized. Oversized compared to what you woul expect to be matched with a compressor of that particular size. Weren't you the one saying small and large a few posts ago? Those terms are just as broad as me using the term oversized. I was simply asking for clarity sake that next time you talk about a part of the turbo that you specify the turbine, compressor, either housing or whatever have you

.poz
.poz

n smikle wrote: Yes exactly, that doesn't change my point. If your small turbo spins 120,000 rpm Vs 100,000 rpm on my big turbo your MGUH will be spinning that much faster too.
If you have a 1:10 gear your MGU-H will spin 1/10 of the turbo.

.poz
.poz

n smikle wrote:
.poz wrote: Not necessarily, you have a MGU-H that can prevent over-boosting. All those V6 concept rotate around this point: an huge turbo and the mgu-h slowing down it to harvest energy and to prevent over boost !
That is not as efficient as correctly sizing your turbo charger. You will have alot of energy conversion losses not to mention reducing life of your MGUH electronics the more you use it.
I beg you pardon but i think you are totally missing the point. On those V6 what you describe as inefficient is exactly what is most desired.

We have:

A HUGE turbo to harvest as much energy as possible from the exhaust- this obviously will over spin the tubocompressor
an MGU-H to prevent overspin and to convert all this extra energy (to the 4MJ/lap from the ES) to send it directly to the MGU-K
a compressor sized to produce the desired boost at the designated rotational speed (kept by the MGU-H)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Fernando & Kimi using different braking solutions in Silverstone. Kimi on the left, ALO on the right.

muelte
muelte

Couldn't be the same but partially assembled, with and without some shrouding? The one on the left seems to have some bolting points that match with the right picture

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2014 - Thursday (03.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

konstantin
konstantin

Diffuser wings

Bomber_Pilot

Two versions of the front wing

Advino116
Advino116

Bomber_Pilot wrote:Two versions of the front wing
Good spot. Didn't notice the version introduced in Spain only has 2 FW main plane slots until now either

Kalsi
Kalsi

Dunno if it's a painting visual effect but there's a little difference in the endplate at the end of the santander logo... seems a different slot shape to me