2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

I'll say this, though: if Hamilton didn't suffer bad luck and had continued his winning streak, this season would have been another 2011, and we'd all be complaining about how his dominance is boring.

So from an entertainment perspective, his bad luck is just what F1 needs...

...but man, it sucks...

RA168E
RA168E

Hamilton is the Jean Alesi of 2014 now, just getting appalling luck.

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote: There is one big opportunity, that may also destroy his race...depends on the race...a Trulli-train behind a one stopper (looking to FI). Depends on how he can avoid getting stuck in this train with his strategy.
There won't be any 1 stoppers, that much is certain. If anyone manages 2 stop I'd be impressed.
Hembery said that the normal strategy will be OOP with a short stint on P as there is no wear on the Option. OP is possible, but slow as they have to use the Prime longer. So I think some will go for OP for sure, especially the ones with some topspeed in their car.
beelsebob wrote:Lewis may have a glimmer of hope yet:

http://cl.ly/image/150z2c3p072L/Screen% ... .18.49.png

He'll at least be able to change setup.

I expect him to be set up with a wet setup if it's already raining, or with a mid wet/dry setup if it's dry at the start. I expect him to try to one stop, in the hope that his one stop is to change onto wets.
There is no more "rain setup". He could go for more downforce, but I do not think there is much left on a track like in Hungary. And this is the opposite of the "normal" way they would go with a good car at the end of the grid: More topspeed like Vettel two years ago..

I do not thing rain will help. The possibility of rain will lead to stretching the first stint. But short first stints of the others will help him most like in Germany. Once there is rain, the rain will dictate the strategy...so nothing to gain with the strategy...and rain will level out the cars and he is the one who can not gamble.
He has a chance to see at least 10 points, maybe more without rain. With rain everything is a lottery...Ham does not need a lottery, he needs stable points to avoid more damage and stay close.
Spacepace wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Spacepace wrote:Lewis has had to make it from the back of the grid and race his car harder for the last four Grand Prix. Isn't that a lot of wear and tear on the car and subsequently going to lead to more parts failing in the future?
Yup, driving an extra 800m over 4 races is really a lot more. #-o
I'm referring to having to use higher engine modes to pass while Rosberg has been able to use a lower engine modes and cruise. Having to overtake cars isn't exactly a good way to persevere the power train I would think.
In GB he had higher engine modes for how many laps? 3? In Austria they were 2...and he did not use the engine from Germany today. So it has nothing to do with this.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Spacepace

[/quote] In GB he had higher engine modes for how many laps? 3? In Austria they were 2...and he did not use the engine from Germany today. So it has nothing to do with this.[/quote]
I knew today had nothing to do with it today but will this come around to rear its head at the last rounds?

ferndal
ferndal

Spacepace wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Spacepace wrote:Lewis has had to make it from the back of the grid and race his car harder for the last four Grand Prix. Isn't that a lot of wear and tear on the car and subsequently going to lead to more parts failing in the future?
Yup, driving an extra 800m over 4 races is really a lot more. #-o
I'm referring to having to use higher engine modes to pass while Rosberg has been able to use a lower engine modes and cruise. Having to overtake cars isn't exactly a good way to persevere the power train I would think.
I dont think it is the cause of his failure. Remember a sleeve over a spark plug is cause. Anyway many mid pack cars are also racing hard back to back every weekend. They dont suffer breakdown race after race.

turbof1

basti313 wrote: There is no more "rain setup". He could go for more downforce, but I do not think there is much left on a track like in Hungary. And this is the opposite of the "normal" way they would go with a good car at the end of the grid: More topspeed like Vettel two years ago..

I do not thing rain will help. The possibility of rain will lead to stretching the first stint. But short first stints of the others will help him most like in Germany. Once there is rain, the rain will dictate the strategy...so nothing to gain with the strategy...and rain will level out the cars and he is the one who can not gamble.
He has a chance to see at least 10 points, maybe more without rain. With rain everything is a lottery...Ham does not need a lottery, he needs stable points to avoid more damage and stay close.
If I'm correct, the floor also gets set higher when speaking about a rain set up, to keep the diffuser and floor acting consistently.

But yeah, a rain set up isn't going to help him much. What could help him, but could also hurt him, is an unpredictable race with constantly switching dry and wet periods. Something that kills all planned strategies.

Hamilton knowing, he's actually wishing for that.
#AeroFrodo

notsofast
notsofast

RA168E wrote:Hamilton is the Jean Alesi of 2014 now, just getting appalling luck.
Probably wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that tomorrow he will be the Damon Hill of 1997, and keep the fight for the WDC relatively close.

deterherligt
deterherligt

turbof1 wrote:
basti313 wrote: There is no more "rain setup". He could go for more downforce, but I do not think there is much left on a track like in Hungary. And this is the opposite of the "normal" way they would go with a good car at the end of the grid: More topspeed like Vettel two years ago..

If I'm correct, the floor also gets set higher when speaking about a rain set up, to keep the diffuser and floor acting consistently.

But yeah, a rain set up isn't going to help him much. What could help him, but could also hurt him, is an unpredictable race with constantly switching dry and wet periods. Something that kills all planned strategies.

Hamilton knowing, he's actually wishing for that.
IIRC the floor gets higher in a the wet cause the wet tires have a slightly higher radius. There isn't a wet setup as such -- Hamilton said that at one point in his Mclaren days

SectorOne

basti313 wrote:There is no more "rain setup".
There´s certainly many things you can do to improve wet weather performance.

Lower the camber, raise the car, soften the suspension etc.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CHT
CHT

Do you guys think it due to luck or simply driving beyond the limit? I guess inky merc will know

basti313
basti313

CHT wrote:Do you guys think it due to luck or simply driving beyond the limit? I guess inky merc will know
No, it is due to a mechanics fault. Fuel lines break because someone damages them. Maybe just a small hit on a sharp edge on the assembly of the car.
This has nothing to do with luck or driving.
SectorOne wrote:
basti313 wrote:There is no more "rain setup".
There´s certainly many things you can do to improve wet weather performance.

Lower the camber, raise the car, soften the suspension etc.
I do not think this is right for a modern F1 car.
- Lowering camber can work in both directions...you still need camber to get the tires working and once you go for slicks you need as much camber as you can get.
- Raising the car is done by the tires. And you may loose downforce with it, something you do not want when it is wet.
- The suspension is already as soft as aero allows. Again: You can soften it, but loosing downforce ruins your race.
Last edited by basti313 on 26 Jul 2014, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Don`t russel the hamster!

CHT
CHT

basti313 wrote:
CHT wrote:Do you guys think it due to luck or simply driving beyond the limit? I guess inky merc will know
No, it is due to a mechanics fault. Fuel lines break because someone damages them. Maybe just a small hit on a sharp edge on the assembly of the car.
There must be some explanation to why LH is always at the receiving end of mechanical failure while nico is able to hold it together. As I don't believe that merc will give their celebrity Wdc driver an inferior car on purpose.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

No, you can't put the blame for this at Hamilton's door no matter how hard you try.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SamH123
SamH123

CHT wrote:
basti313 wrote:
There must be some explanation to why LH is always at the receiving end of mechanical failure while nico is able to hold it together. As I don't believe that merc will give their celebrity Wdc driver an inferior car on purpose.
Mercedes have had 5 total car failures (HAM Australia race, HAM Germany quali, HAM Hungary quali, HAM Canada race, ROS Silverstone race)

1 driver having 4 out of 5 failures by random chance is not even close to being statistically significant
In fact by my calculations either driver having 4 or more out of a total 5 car failures is ~37%! (so ~18.5% for Hamilton to have 4 or more out of 5 failures, someone can check my maths)

spadeflush

Reminds me of Schumacher's 2012 season. There is just no way for us to know what is exactly happening and why. Anyway, no matter how hard it is to overtake around here, Hamilton will still, I believe, finish in the top 4 if not 3. Provided of course that all the overtakes are clean
Forza Michael. Forza Jules