2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

Regarding the Mercedes call to Hamilton to let Rosberg pass, I think Hamilton's gut reaction is what saved him a spot on the podium. If he had lslowed down to let Rosberg through, he almost certainly would have given up the position.

Conspiracies aside, certainly Mercedes must have considered that possibility, yet they instructed him to let Rosberg pass anyway...

SectorOne

atanatizante wrote:Bad call for Lewis given him primes on the last stop ...
Yea that confused me as well. He was ahead of Rosberg therefore should inherit the fastest strategy when he comes into the pits.

Seems the Option was simply the better compound full stop regardless of life, performance etc.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

SectorOne wrote:
atanatizante wrote:Bad call for Lewis given him primes on the last stop ...
Yea that confused me as well. He was ahead of Rosberg therefore should inherit the fastest strategy when he comes into the pits.

Seems the Option was simply the better compound full stop regardless of life, performance etc.
I Think the mediums were the right call, he was clearly faster than Alonso just not enough to effect the pass at the end of the straight. But then he likely would have gotten past him earlier or had track position. Who knows...
Felipe Baby!

atanatizante

Lewis has had the Friday engine, definitely, other wise he'd have got some brave moves into turn 1 ...
A very, very cautious Lewis today, showing either that he must be conservative with PU knowing he'd need it further up in the season or (worse) losing some confidence knowing the series of bad luck he has had lately?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

matt_b
matt_b

atanatizante wrote:Bad call for Lewis given him primes on the last stop ... had they would've give him the options he could've survive till the end like Fernando did and most of all he could've got into the history with winning from the pit lane ... such a pity !

I mean in 10 laps he could've have a 20 sec. cushion with the option on and then for the last 20 laps just cruising!
Damn! Very, very bad strategist down there at Mercedes ... they thought it'll be like in Silverstone?
Or maybe was Lewis call, after all?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. However its likely he wouldve got held up by Alonso.

SectorOne

How many guys ran the Medium compound in the race?

Hamilton and Massa are the two i know.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:How many guys ran the Medium compound in the race?

Hamilton and Massa are the two i know.
Vettel. 37 laps. ohhh how wrong i was :D

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Ricciardo superb. Great race, had a bit of everything.

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Had Alonso pitted when the Safety car went out then he would have won or at least had better chance. Once more Ferrari looked slow to react when they had.
Mercedes once more biased towards Rosberg...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

beelsebob
beelsebob

mika vs michael wrote:Had Alonso pitted when the Safety car went out then he would have won or at least had better chance. Once more Ferrari looked slow to react when they had.
Honestly, I'd be amazed if you can give a reasonable explanation of how Merc were biased towards Nico today.

George-Jung
George-Jung

mika vs michael wrote:Had Alonso pitted when the Safety car went out then he would have won or at least had better chance. Once more Ferrari looked slow to react when they had.
Alo kept track position with that move

Shrieker

"Why is he not letting me through ?"

Because you couldn't pass JEV and he did, Nico. Not to mention he forced Vettel into a mistake before that to get rid of him.

Once again Hamilton proving to be the better racer (as if anyone suspected it) also with his ruthless squeeze on Rosberg on the final lap. The difference between the Sennas and the Irvines.
Last edited by Shrieker on 27 Jul 2014, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

zeph
zeph

beelsebob wrote:
Honestly, I'd be amazed if you can give a reasonable explanation of how Merc were biased towards Nico today.
Not hard, I think.

If he had complied with the instruction to let Rosberg pass, Hamilton would certainly have given up the position. The Mercedes boffins must have at least considered that possibility, yet they told him to move over anyway.
Seeing how close they were at the finish, I think it is safe to say that complying with the call would have cost Hamilton the position.

And now he knows it. His demeanor on the podium was surprisingly downcast for someone who just raced from last to P3. He must wonder why they told him to let Rosberg pass, and if I were him I'd be concerned.
Last edited by zeph on 27 Jul 2014, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

atanatizante

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing but even if he'd have pitted for fresh options 12 laps till the end he could've maybe win it ...or not, seeing he was struggling passing Vettel in the first part and this goes backing the theory with conserving the PU or maybe a RW setup made for max.DF ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

the user
the user

Traction wrote: So glad Rosberg never got past Hamilton, that " why's he not letting me pass" has put me off him totally... :roll:
He didn't ask the team to tell Hamilton to move. The team themselves told Rosberg that Hamilton would let him through. So it's not surprising that Rosberg was asking why Hamilton wasn't letting him past.

This is from Rosberg's postrace interview on Sky.

Gutted for Button. It looked very promissing for him until the moment when McLaren put on those intermediates.
Last edited by the user on 27 Jul 2014, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.