2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
prince
prince

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

beelsebob wrote:
mika vs michael wrote:Had Alonso pitted when the Safety car went out then he would have won or at least had better chance. Once more Ferrari looked slow to react when they had.
Mercedes once more biased towards Rosberg...
Honestly, I'd be amazed if you can give a reasonable explanation of how Merc were biased towards Nico today.
By asking Lewis to let Nico through. Nico was on a 13 laps used tyres, was struggling to overtake Lewis and how on earth he would have overtaken Fernando? It would have simply cost Lewis the podium. Worse, what if Lewis would have let him through and then there was a safety car event? Again gone. Very stupid of Merc management. Commentators were right when they remembered Ross Brawn to have been on the pit wall.

Regle
Regle

If Hamilton had let Rosberg pass, Rosberg probably would have won with Hamilton, say, 3rd or 4th.
Now they got P3 and P4. What team on earth wouldn't have preferred option 1 over option 2?

CHT
CHT

Nico might have been able to win the race if LH had let him through and of course this will not be favorable to LH.
The reason why Nico was faster on used tyre is because LH cant or was not supposed to overdrive those tyres. I am sure Merc team will have plenty to discuss and I guess Toto with his broken arm, will not be very pleased
Last edited by CHT on 27 Jul 2014, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Traction

the user wrote:
Traction wrote: So glad Rosberg never got past Hamilton, that " why's he not letting me pass" has put me off him totally... :roll:
He didn't ask the team to tell Hamilton to move. The team themselves told Rosberg that Hamilton would let him through. So it's not surprising that Rosberg was asking why Hamilton wasn't letting him past.

This is from Rosberg's postrace interview on Sky.
He asked twice over the radio" whys he not letting me pass" as if he felt entitled to having Lewis move over instead of giving it a hard push, closing to less than a second and at least trying to get past. If he has pushed hard and got past Lewis he could well have won the race.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Regle wrote:If Hamilton had let Rosberg pass, Rosberg probably would have won with Hamilton, say, 3rd or 4th.
Now they got P3 and P4. What team on earth wouldn't have preferred option 1 over option 2?
Rosberg was slower. That's why he didn't pass. He could barely hold onto DRS range.

Waywardism
Waywardism

Regle wrote:If Hamilton had let Rosberg pass, Rosberg probably would have won with Hamilton, say, 3rd or 4th.
No team, but when Toto was asked the question after the race he said "yes but they're also fighting each other for the championship".

thomin

prince wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
mika vs michael wrote:Had Alonso pitted when the Safety car went out then he would have won or at least had better chance. Once more Ferrari looked slow to react when they had.
Mercedes once more biased towards Rosberg...
Honestly, I'd be amazed if you can give a reasonable explanation of how Merc were biased towards Nico today.
By asking Lewis to let Nico through. Nico was on a 13 laps used tyres, was struggling to overtake Lewis and how on earth he would have overtaken Fernando? It would have simply cost Lewis the podium. Worse, what if Lewis would have let him through and then there was a safety car event? Again gone. Very stupid of Merc management. Commentators were right when they remembered Ross Brawn to have been on the pit wall.
It made total sense from Mercedes' POV. They expected Hamilton to pass Alonso and win the race while giving Rosberg the chance to come in second.

It ultimately didn't pan out that way of course and Lewis' decision to ignore team orders saved him, but it still hurt the team as Rosberg would at least have come in second had Lewis let him go by. Maybe even first depending on how much time Lewis cost him.

Regle
Regle

Waywardism wrote:
No team, but when Toto was asked the question after the race he said "yes but they're also fighting each other for the championship".
It's understandable that Lewis didn't let him pass, but so is the team's decision to ask Lewis to do that. No bias there.
We've seen this with Red Bull plenty of times, WCC comes first. The more points, the better. WDC comes second, and a driver preventing the team from winning will not be the team's darling. Of course Nico wouldn't have let Lewis pass either.

Traction

Shrieker wrote:"Why is he not letting me through ?"

Because you couldn't pass JEV and he did, Nico. Not to mention he forced Vettel into a mistake before that to get rid of him.

Once again Hamilton proving to be the better racer (as if anyone suspected it) also with his ruthless squeeze on Rosberg on the final lap. The difference between the Sennas and the Irvines.
To be fair JEV tyres were completely worn out when LH managed to pass him and Vettel screwed up all by himself..
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Regle
Regle

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Rosberg was slower. That's why he didn't pass. He could barely hold onto DRS range.
Rosberg was slower. Which is why he stayed directly behind Hamilton for quite some time. Great analysis.

PlatinumZealot

Great race! Loved it. It had just about everything.
I was mighty impressed with alonso; he dragged that dog by the scruff, how did he keep those softs for so long?
Ricciardo OMG this kid is da boss!
Vettel did a poor showing for a driver of his experience. You know why i say that?? This was his race to win and he lost it because of a poor reaction time when drove right by the pit entrance when the safety car lights were lit. Then to make matters worse he got a big greedy on the throttle and spun in a corner that he has passed hundreds of time before.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

the user
the user

Traction wrote:
the user wrote:
Traction wrote: So glad Rosberg never got past Hamilton, that " why's he not letting me pass" has put me off him totally... :roll:
He didn't ask the team to tell Hamilton to move. The team themselves told Rosberg that Hamilton would let him through. So it's not surprising that Rosberg was asking why Hamilton wasn't letting him past.

This is from Rosberg's postrace interview on Sky.
He asked twice over the radio" whys he not letting me pass" as if he felt entitled to having Lewis move over instead of giving it a hard push, closing to less than a second and at least trying to get past. If he has pushed hard and got past Lewis he could well have won the race.
Well if I were in Rosberg's shoes and the team told me "Ok, Nico, Hamilton will move over" but then no such thing happenned - I would start asking that question as well. That's what Nico said in the postrace interview - "he did not want Lewis to move, the team said he would" (trying to quote him from memory).

SectorOne

Tough for Mercedes but i think with this dominant car, they have to put more emphasis on the WDC because the WCC is already in the bag, it´s just a question of when they get it.

Their reliability is already having huge effects on the championship so to manually go in and switch it up even more would be very bad.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SiLo

SectorOne wrote:Tough for Mercedes but i think with this dominant car, they have to put more emphasis on the WDC because the WCC is already in the bag, it´s just a question of when they get it.

Their reliability is already having huge effects on the championship so to manually go in and switch it up even more would be very bad.
Agreed. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about today, Rosberg was screwed by the safety cars and then didn't seem to have any pace until he had the freshest tires on the track. They should be thankful Hamilton drove to 3rd though after starting from the pit AND basically crashing into the wall.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Any driver fighting for tge championship with a half a brain would never let rosberg past!! The last time i checked mercedes has almist twice the points ad redbull - they arent exactly in a points drought now sre they? It's a no brainer hamilton did the smart choice. Are people really discussing this?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028