2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

Lewis didn't ignore a team order anyway. He was asked to allow Rosberg to pass, and he stated that he was following that, and that when Rosberg tried to pass him he would let him. Rosberg just never tried to pass him. He wasn't even in DRS range.

RZS10

beelsebob wrote:Lewis didn't ignore a team order anyway. He was asked to allow Rosberg to pass, and he stated that he was following that, and that when Rosberg tried to pass him he would let him. Rosberg just never tried to pass him. He wasn't even in DRS range.
Well he was in DRS wasn't he? Hamilton just managed to pull away a bit on several laps ... now even Wolff said it wasn't a 'team order' ... just an 'instruction' ... surely just trying to play it all down

Arterius
Arterius

RZS10 wrote:
Arterius wrote:That is assuming that the team order would have negatively effected Hamilton. As I stated earlier Hamilton not moving over and giving Rosberg a go at Alonso cost the team a P2 and P3 with Hamilton being in P2. This would have been better for the team. They had a real shot at getting past Alonso if Hamilton had done as the team ordered.
How would Hamilton end up on P2 and Rosberg on P3 after that?

Rosberg gained more than 20 seconds in 12 laps and almost overtook Hamilton even with traffic at the beginning of the stint.
Since Hamilton was stuck behind Alonso till the end of the race it is safe to assume he would have stayed behind anyways in those two scenarios

1) Had Rosberg managed to overtake Alonso he could have gained a lot of time, coming out of the pits much closer to Alonso/Hamilton being at their tails way earlier in the race and most certainly overtaking both of them, Rosberg would not have hesitated to attack Hamilton, that's for sure ...

2) Rosberg does not overtake Alonso, this gives him an advantage of 3 seconds maybe:
a) he does not have traffic, catches up early and overtakes both
b) he comes out of the pits and has traffic, overtakes and carries this 3 second advantage till the end of the race, meaning he has one more lap to attack Hamilton and Alonso, which he ofc does.

So we have RIC - ROS - ALO - HAM in both scenarios, Hamilton loses massivly in the WDC, MGP gains 3 lousy points in the WCC that they've practically won already
No it is not safe to assume that. Rosberg attacking Alonso could very well have caused Alonsos tires to wear faster. This would have given Hamilton a better chance at overtaking him. If he then achieved that Rosberg would first have to pass Alonso before going after Hamilton. Even then, or if the previous didn't work, the team could then have told Rosberg to hold station behind Hamilton as he only got the chance to attack Hamilton because Hamilton let him through earlier. If Rosberg had then overtaken Hamilton I would have had a massive problem with that and he should then face stern disciplinary actions from the team.

At the end of the day the drivers are hired by the team to drive their cars. They are just another employee that ensures the success of the team as a whole. So if their superior orders them to move over for the better of the team they have to obey. If they have a problem with the order they bring it up after the race when all has played itself out. If the order was a mistake the team learns from it and doesn't make the same mistake again in the future.

ringo

This whole discussion is ammusing. Rosberg didn't have the speed to make hamilton decide to ignore orders. In fact lewis was even too nice to suggest letting him by if he tried an overtake.
This is championship fight mercedes must be retarded if they think either driver is going lose points to the next guy because he cares so much about constructors points.

Mercedes need to stop the micro managing. They are manipulating race results for no other reason but to preserve or grow rosbergs points gap. At this point in the season its a done deal. The argument of constructors does fly when ur car is superior to all others and is over 100 points ahead. If they want maximum points they should improve reliability and put 2 cars at the front of the grid. It would be very silly to even make a big deal over today, lewis gave them more points than they expected today. Rosberg gave them less.
Last edited by ringo on 27 Jul 2014, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

f1-neil
f1-neil

Arterius wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
Arterius wrote:They are just another employee that ensures the success of the team as a whole. So if their superior orders them to move over for the better of the team they have to obey. If they have a problem with the order they bring it up after the race when all has played itself out. If the order was a mistake the team learns from it and doesn't make the same mistake again in the future.
Even if you place it in terms off everyday work, if my Employer asks me to damage my future to aid a rival collegue who is performing poorly, I will also refuse to comply.

f1-neil
f1-neil

ringo wrote: Mercedes need to stop the micro managing. They are manipulating race results for no other reason but to preserve or grow rosbergs points gap. At this point in the season its a done deal. The argument of constructors does fly when ur car is superior to all others and is over 100 points ahead. If they want maximum points they should improve reliability and put 2 cars at the front of the grid. It would be very silly to even make a big deal over today, lewis gave them more points than they expected today. Rosberg gave them less.
Very good point. In the constructors, it was Lewis who unexpectedly gained the most points for the team when he was disadvantaged. Rosberg did the exact opposite. But still merc even after all the hard work wanted Lewis to rollover for Rosberg? The apologies for yesterday didn't last long for Toto.

ringo

Yea who does a job if it doesnt benefit them?
You wouldnt be human if u did. I will agree with skyf1 pundits. Lewis made the right choice.
As for going forward not much will change. I think mercedes will be more careful with their choice of words with lewis and maybe put better effort into preparing his car. Losing hamilton is not what they want. Hes pretty much why they are so visible in f1 now. Mclaren are suffering popularity wise after lewis left. So its best there is no bad blood going foreward, even if they dump him at the end of year. Haha.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

gray41 wrote:Could Lewis have won if he'd gone with two sets of softs instead?
Probably. He could've won with a single set of softs instead of the mediums. He'd also have won if he hadn't spun on the first lap.
Last edited by Shrieker on 27 Jul 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Juzh wrote:Well, it's not like it's a first time for lewis to ignore a team order and put himself above the team, is it? khmmm hungary 2007 khm khmmm..
Well, as i said, that's what separates the Alonsos and Hamiltons from the Barrichellos and Massas.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

f1-neil
f1-neil

ringo wrote:Yea who does a job if it doesnt benefit them?
You wouldnt be human if u did. I will agree with skyf1 pundits. Lewis made the right choice.
As for going forward not much will change. I think mercedes will be more careful with their choice of words with lewis and maybe put better effort into preparing his car. Losing hamilton is not what they want. Hes pretty much why they are so visible in f1 now. Mclaren are suffering popularity wise after lewis left. So its best there is no bad blood going foreward, even if they dump him at the end of year. Haha.
I think this weekend has being a massive PR disaster for Mercedes, over the last 2-3 years they have built up a good reputation with the fans and have practically blowing it all in one weekend. Lewis has a massive fan base and also it doesn't look good if the perceived view is that a sports team is siding with nationalistic tendencies in the competition for the WDC.
Merc are in F1 to sell more cars and boost their images, this weekend it has had the opposite effect and is very damaging, I don't think they even realise how much yet, I would imagine Merc HQ will be on the phone asking questions on how they have screwed up this weekend.

PlatinumZealot

I can't wait till Hamilton win his two titles for Mercedes and get a packing out of there to Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

f1-neil
f1-neil

Shrieker wrote:
He'd also won if he hadn't spun on the first lap.

I doubt that made the slightlest bit of difference

Shrieker

f1-neil wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
He'd also won if he hadn't spun on the first lap.

I doubt that made the slightlest bit of difference
I'm afraid you might be wrong. He ended up in 7th place after the first safety car, could've been a couple of spots higher and it would've made all the difference in the world in terms of time lost in traffic when the race got going.

Welcome to the forum btw :)
-Atatürk

f1-neil
f1-neil

Shrieker wrote:
I'm afraid you might be wrong. He ended up in 7th place after the first safety car, could've been a couple of spots higher and it would've made all the difference in the world in terms of time lost in traffic when the race got going.

Welcome to the forum btw :)
Thank you. I was only watching for a sky TV ipad App, so my view might not have being the best, but wouldn't the safety car have caused them to bunch up and the spin not cost lewis places?

iotar__

ringo wrote:Yea who does a job if it doesnt benefit them?
Sky pundits say Hamilton is always right and perfect? I don't believe it. Blind praise is what they sell and you are their demography, the minute they start being professional they'd be riots. It means nothing. As I said I didn't mind it today apart from fake outrage but it cost them and LH should not get anything for free after that.
- If you want really shocked check Rosberg's reaction to a strategy putting him in the middle of nowhere and traffic: - So what can I do with this, should I push? - Yeah I guess... yes, push, don't worry later Lewis will let you pass, he's on a different, better strategy in free air
- Another race Hamilton's winning in alternate reality? He didn't even attempt to pass a slow Ferrari and let Ricciardo overtake him rather easily, I'd start with that and spin before creating scenarios. Then traffic and Rosberg.
- Merc guys are repeating lies about how third was maximum after losing by 0,5-1,0 to a slow car, it's embarrassing.