Haas - American team in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Haas - American team in F1

Is the old Marrusia Factory which Haas has bought the same Wirth Research Center which built the cars in 2010?

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is the old Marrusia Factory which Haas has bought the same Wirth Research Center which built the cars in 2010?
No. Virgin were based in Dinnington, Yorkshire.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Manoah2u wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:
I don't understand how you arrived at that conclusion.

According to the first half of your post, HRT, Caterham/Lotus, and Virgin/Marussia folded ultimately because they were promised a cost cap that never came to fruition. They were not financially prepared to run outside of a cost cap, and definitely not for the new power regulations in 2014.
exactly. Therefore, if your pockets are filled and you have a big budget, kicking to the shins of the underdog - no longer there to defend themselves - is imho a wrong and low thing to do.
In contrast, Haas (as far as we know) has entered F1 without any such promises. He is fully aware of the costs associated, he has money, and he has a plan to keep costs as low as possible by using Ferrari parts as much as possible. To me, that seems like a much more stable financial situation than the 2010 entries ever had.
Except we don't know how much these ferrari parts actually cost. I'm quite confident these ferrari parts will definately be much more expensive then the parts caterham or marussia used for their car. Actually, all the former backmarkers had several cooperations and 'partnerships' with excisting, stable teams. Mclaren and Ferrari, for example.
Meanwhile, it did little for their 'progress'.
Or, it might actually did do them great progress yet we did not know about this.
*We* do not know the costs of Ferrari parts, but I think we can agree that Haas does, and he has decided that this is the most cost-effective route to take. Sorry if I don't take your confidence before the guy dropping millions of dollars into the venture.
Manoah2u wrote:The end is still the same; Haas is entering a different F1 then the backmarkers did, and Haas can enter F1 with a whole bucket of better finances then any of these other cars had (or, so it be in their struggling final years atleast). Meanwhile, just how much money is Haas going to 'throw at it'?

It's concidered Haas' financial situation and backing is better than that of their predecessors. But is this actually true? Haas said he 'wasn't just going to throw money at it'. So, Haas' CNC company may have a big budget - but just how much budget is Haas planning or accepting to spend for his F1 foray? It wouldn't surprise me if that would be immensely slimmer then most here are simply taking for granted.
I don't think anyone is assuming the budget will be larger than any other back marker, at least not initially. Why would we when the man himself has said he's trying to do it as cheaply as possible by buying parts? Of course none of us know exactly how much money he plans to put in, but the fact is the money *is* there.

bdr529

Richard wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Haas is ignorantly boasting before even having done a single thing.
Manoah2u wrote:I like the fact they have a ferrari partnership for parts and sorted this out. I like the fact they have an engine deal and sorted that out. I like the fact they have a chassis builder to sort that out.
You have to appreciate someone who can argue both sides =D>
Richard wrote:We can only wait and see.
My sentiments exactly, We have 1 year to go
Richard wrote:Let's finish with some positives:
I think the real positive is that someone is trying to get 2 more cars on the grid

Facts Only
Facts Only

Jonnycraig wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Is the old Marrusia Factory which Haas has bought the same Wirth Research Center which built the cars in 2010?
No. Virgin were based in Dinnington, Yorkshire.
The Marussia factory was actually the old Ascari cars factory. It's across the road (more or less) from Prodrive
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Richard
Richard

I didn't know that was the old Ascari site.

As for Wirth, I recall:

In 2010 Virgin was split between Manor based in Dinnington (Yorkshire) with Wirth based in Banbury (Oxfordshire). Wirth took on extra premises for their F1 work.

In 2011 Marussia decide to split from Wirth, and they also decide to consolidate to one site closer to the UK motorsport industry. So Marussia need premises in that area at the same time as Wirth are looking to get rid of premises. As a result Marussia F1 simply took over Wirth's previous F1 premises and moved out of the Yorkshire premises.

In 2014 Haas bought the premises for his F1 operations base.

Richard
Richard

The sponsorship handbags at 10 paces has it's own life :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 66#p551866

Now lets talk about Haas....

FW17

strad

Hmmm We have seen worse.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

presure2
presure2

I've always been a casual fan of F1 over the years, but only in the past 2.5 seasons have I become alot more hardcore about it, and as such, I'm really excited to see Hass on the grid in 2016, for several reasons.
1st, IMO more cars on the grid, the better.
2nd, I think having a Team "Based" in the USA wil be great for F1 overall here
3rd, They do well in Nascar, so I'm really curious to see how they will get on in F1
4th, Chance for a US based driver?
all that said, it'll come down to Team building, like anything else.
If Gene and crew can get the right people together, I think he's got more than a decent shot at it.

::EDIT::

HA! my first real post, one year to the day that I joined here! didn't even realize it till after I saw the post and caught the date! lol

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Very cool presure2, welcome to F1T.

There are a lot of unanswered questions concerning Haas, but IMO he is entering this sport with his eyes wide open and aware of and prepared for the mistakes and obstacles that Marussia, Caterham, HRT, and USF1 encountered.

IMO it is genius that Haas had linked his fortunes to Ferrari, they cannot allow Haas to fail. I am very sure the technical support Ferrari supply will be sincere.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

presure2
presure2

thanks dave!

i dunno if i agree with ferrari not allowing haas to fail though..marrusia used ferarri engines, and theyve fallen by the wayside...i understand the technical partnership should be more involved, but i dont think they(ferrari) would put anything in place that would allow haas to continue if they wernt able to on theyre own.
IMO its all up to gene and crew to keep the boat afloat, and if they dont, it'll sink to the bottom like the others you've mentioned.

FW17

The stillborn Manor MNR1 was to have featured a unique front suspension layout it has emerged. The Marussia team which would have been rebranded Manor F1 for the 2015 season was highly advanced in the design of the car before work stopped in September last year. The new regulations surrounding the noses of 2015 cars reduced the space available to house components at the front of the car and a innovative suspension system had to be designed as a result.

The gains of the new layout did not just come in terms of packaging but also in terms of vehicle dynamics according to former team members and design data shown to Racecar Engineering. It is thought that a number of organisations are now aware of the concept after former Marussia staff found new jobs in other F1 teams, additionally it is thought that Haas F1 has acquired the CAD data for the 2014 and 2015 Marussia designs.

FW17

BAR sign cooperation with HAAS
By Steven De Groote on Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:28 pm

In its twentieth year of business, Haas is now the largest machine tool builder in the United States, and employs almost 1,000 people in its 820,000 square-foot facility in California, the most modern machine tool manufacturing operation in America. Haas manufactures four major product lines: vertical machining centres, horizontal machining centres, CNC lathes and rotary tables.

Haas Automation will supply B•A•R with two high-speed CNC machining centres, which will be operational in the team’s on-site machine shop.

Geoffrey Willis, B•A•R Technical Director, commented: “B•A•R’s partnership with Haas Automation means we will be increasing our on-site manufacturing capabilities by around 25 per cent. The extra machines will reduce our downtime and increase our rate of development, which in turn will lead to performance gain.”

Andrew Stevens, Managing Director of Haas Automation in the UK, said, “We are delighted to establish a partnership with B•A•R. The technically demanding and competitive environment of Formula One is a perfect arena for Haas Automation to demonstrate the high performance characteristics of their CNC machine tools - speed, accuracy and reliability are all requisite components of a high-quality machine tool, and each is used to the full in the machining of components for a Formula One car.”

The Haas Automation tag is already synonymous with racing in the USA. The company formed technical partnerships with a number of American motorsport teams from 1995 onwards, and in 2002 Haas CNC Racing was launched, with the announcement that it would compete in the Winston Cup Series. The Haas CNC Racing Team is based in its own 40,000 square-foot building in North Carolina.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

WilliamsF1 wrote:
BAR sign cooperation with HAAS
By Steven De Groote on Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:28 pm

In its twentieth year of business, Haas is now the largest machine tool builder in the United States, and employs almost 1,000 people in its 820,000 square-foot facility in California, the most modern machine tool manufacturing operation in America. Haas manufactures four major product lines: vertical machining centres, horizontal machining centres, CNC lathes and rotary tables.

Haas Automation will supply B•A•R with two high-speed CNC machining centres, which will be operational in the team’s on-site machine shop.

Geoffrey Willis, B•A•R Technical Director, commented: “B•A•R’s partnership with Haas Automation means we will be increasing our on-site manufacturing capabilities by around 25 per cent. The extra machines will reduce our downtime and increase our rate of development, which in turn will lead to performance gain.”

Andrew Stevens, Managing Director of Haas Automation in the UK, said, “We are delighted to establish a partnership with B•A•R. The technically demanding and competitive environment of Formula One is a perfect arena for Haas Automation to demonstrate the high performance characteristics of their CNC machine tools - speed, accuracy and reliability are all requisite components of a high-quality machine tool, and each is used to the full in the machining of components for a Formula One car.”

The Haas Automation tag is already synonymous with racing in the USA. The company formed technical partnerships with a number of American motorsport teams from 1995 onwards, and in 2002 Haas CNC Racing was launched, with the announcement that it would compete in the Winston Cup Series. The Haas CNC Racing Team is based in its own 40,000 square-foot building in North Carolina.
what's interesting about something that happened 11 years ago? :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"