Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

f1rules wrote:seems they angled the driveshaft forward for the hot air outlet to cover it
http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 646506.jpg
looks like there is something missing from the rear wing, two square latches which looks like something will be mounted there soon....

turbof1

My brain has issues comprehending that back end. I love their neatly stacked rbr front wing, but this is too much.
#AeroFrodo

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

The back end of that Mclaren just looks.. sooo.. Illegal LOL, Love it!

CjC
CjC

Richard wrote:Is it just me or is that safety light now looking suspiciously coanda-exhaust-ramp like?
I can't see what you mean. Can you expand on that thought?
Just a fan's point of view

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Nice to see some technical overview on this thread again ...

One point to note... Does anyone get the feeling that McLaren are running something revolutionary with that engine? I don't really see what would really hamper 2 days of testing or that could be that complex that they couldn't get to work on a dyno...

The rumour circulating the pit lane is the fuel consumption of this Honda is supposed to be far greater than that of the Renault which is rumoured to have the best fuel consumption on the grid.

fawe4
fawe4

jason.parker.86 wrote:Nice to see some technical overview on this thread again ...

One point to note... Does anyone get the feeling that McLaren are running something revolutionary with that engine? I don't really see what would really hamper 2 days of testing or that could be that complex that they couldn't get to work on a dyno...
RB barely ran last year. A simple problem on one testing car can be huge. Everything is unique, you really don't have a spare part for everything. And the last thing you need is blowing the engine on day one.

ozzimark
ozzimark

jason.parker.86 wrote:The rumour circulating the pit lane is the fuel consumption of this Honda is supposed to be far greater than that of the Renault which is rumoured to have the best fuel consumption on the grid.
Curious rumor, given that maximum fuel flow at a given RPM is constrained by the regulations, and drivers spend almost all their time at full throttle or no throttle.

That's about on par with the 900 HP rumor. I suppose they could be making the power if they found a way to circumvent the sensor element to flow more fuel... :?

crbassassin

emmepi27 wrote:Don't know if you already spotted it. Very interesting brake ducts for new Mp4-30 (pic Amus)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B817wVIIEAEtKKz.jpg:large
This is like a hybrid between the ductless design and the full scoop design.

shady
shady

The floor of this car; unobstructed. Its fascinating in its objective.

Two little stabilizers for the diffuser:

I hope the whole system as envisioned comes together, based on the chassis appearance i would say mclaren look motivated.
I think the Japanese have a certain style of doing things different from a German, different from an Englishman, different from an American. Their systems can be complex as hell in most cases. Yes. Call me cliche if you like. After reading between the lines though, I feel Ron Dennis implied that the Honda people have additional control boards within the V of the engine. They have undisclosed additional technologies in there that these boards are monitoring (or even governing) and the sensors on them are having communication problems with the rest of Mclaren systems. Again, just my opinion.
Seems to me that the fault could just as easily be an improperly ground terminal. To interpret their trouble the way you have seems 'far fetched'. The conflation of your 'control boards' and a r.dennis quote is also misleading.

max_speed
max_speed

f1rules wrote:the attention to aero on this car, if there are no calibration issues the numbers must be pretty amazing, right from the front brake ducts the deep undercut, tight rear, and the suspensions arms at the rear placed to aid airflow. please get this car to work! please
that is what i feel too , they have not compromised car design for engine's sake , as everyone at mclaren keeps saying that they have packaged engine well to provide PP space to play with. they took aggressive approach in packaging and tht is going to cause some issues. they are better than bull atleast they did not burn anything last year bull used to burn every other day.
Lets hope engine is good enough and when it runs, it takes all our gloom away

lkocev

I can't quite work out what this rear suspension arm arrangement is. If you look closely it appears to either have no lower wishbone, or no toe link. I can clearly see the shape of the upper wishbone, but If you look to the lower links, it looks confusing. I can see an arm, which has a joint on what appears to be the gearbox case (the 'rearwards' pointing arm), and then another arm with its respective joint on the crash structure (the 'forwards' pointing arm). I had assumed this arm with its joint on the crash structure was the toe link, and that there would have been a lower wishbone with both joints on the gearbox case. Certainly when I'm looking at that picture closely it looks to me like the two visible "lower" arms are not a wishbone arm, since they appear to me as if they are on different planes, with what I think is the 'forwards' pointing toe link intersecting the z-axis higher than the other 'rearwards' pointing arm.

So if the layout is as I have described above, then the 'rearwards' pointing arm should be part of the lower wishbone is that not correct? I can't see its 'A' shape, could it be a single arm? I don't think I have ever heard of a car having a toe link inside a 'fairing' like what some teams do with the drive shafts. Interesting thing here is the McLaren drive shaft is exposed, we should be able to see all the arms quite clearly.

Open the picture in a separate tab to view it full size, what do you guys think???

http://i.imgur.com/KzHgKVT.jpg

shady
shady

im sure i can find a better picture but..

The double wishbone is offset, the toelink is highlighted.

lkocev

shady wrote:im sure i can find a better picture but..

http://i.imgur.com/1JGN2j3.jpg

The double wishbone is offset, the toelink is highlighted.
I'm Sorry but what you have placed the ellipse around looks like the rocker-actuating pull-rod, not toe link. If you look close at it, it's going diagonally from high up on the upright, (or high up on the upper wishbone, whichever joint method McLaren use), to down low in the gearbox case.

That is actually a nice picture though, I can see the drive shaft, the toe link, the upper wishbone, the pull-rod, but that lower arm still looks like a single arm, and not a wishbone (or A arm, however you rather call it).

It also shows just how amazingly deep that side-pod undercut is!
Last edited by lkocev on 03 Feb 2015, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.

bill shoe
bill shoe

skeptical that's a toe link in the yellow oval, isn't that the pullrod?

At this time last year we were also playing "find enough links to constrain six degrees of freedom" for the McLaren rear suspension. admittedly I can't figure out the 2015 rear suspension right now.

I'm reminded of the C4 Corvette (~1984-1996) that used its driveshafts as suspension constraints/links. at the moment this is a possibility.

lkocev

bill shoe wrote:skeptical that's a toe link in the yellow oval, isn't that the pullrod?

At this time last year we were also playing "find enough links to constrain six degrees of freedom" for the McLaren rear suspension. admittedly I can't figure out the 2015 rear suspension right now.

I'm reminded of the C4 Corvette (~1984-1996) that used its driveshafts as suspension constraints/links. at the moment this is a possibility.
That though entered my mind, but wouldn't that require the drive shaft joint be very robust at the upright? If it was like that then Is it not similar to a Collin Chapman designed single wishbone arrangement? If so, you could use the upper wishbone and its respective upright joint to adjust camber, and then they might only need a single link to control toe. But were clearly seeing two arms here, which look like separate links to me, with separate joints on the upright. Well actually I'm guessing that they are separate arms, that control two different joints on the upright because they appear to be in different planes to me.

I suppose that's what a discussion forum is for, to discuss!