Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

another possibility is that the upper a-arm actually controls 3 dof rather than the typical 2. The outboard end seems long enough longitudinally to plausibly contain 2 ball-joint connections to the corner instead of 1 like a conventional wishbone. This would result in the arm constraining 3 dof. The rear leg seems thick enough longitudinally to maybe support this arrangement (similar to the Merc front suspension lower wishbone).

There is a rule that says the suspension can't be over or under constrained, but it's not clear what that means in practice. If there were two ball joints on the outboard end of the upper a-arm, then the suspension would not in fact be over or under constrained.

It's fun to not know!

Least interesting possibility is that we are missing a link due to angle of pictures.

EDIT: the 6th dof is being held in place by Ron Dennis' sheer force of will!

poolboy67

shady wrote: Seems to me that the fault could just as easily be an improperly ground terminal. To interpret their trouble the way you have seems 'far fetched'. The conflation of your 'control boards' and a r.dennis quote is also misleading.
no the problem was already stated as being miscommunications between sensors and ecu's. either the sensors send wrong data, or the ecu reads it incorrectly, or there's a lack of sensor data, or the ecu reads it corretly but sends wrong commands which then causes the sensors to send correct data that the ecu will see as actually being wrong ect ect. electronics are a bitch. even on road cars. even bigger bitch is diagnostics when something fails, because you don't know what gives correct data ect. trust me i know.

fer, merc and ren all had the same problems last year. and yet all managed to race in melbourne where where the best car won, and not the best engine per se.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

I've found these videos on youtube... The engine sounds cleaner than the last days...

GoranF1
GoranF1

They fixed the problems hopefully not at the expense of performance.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

zioture
zioture

Mclaren honda 3 DAY TEST Sound PU now it's ok ?

GoranF1
GoranF1

A quote from the track:

Honda engine sounds good at full load, but very different from the rest in the transition from q rises and returns to accelerate.

zioture
zioture

Comparison Down shift Mclaren Mp30

Mercedes W06

Vasconia

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:A quote from the track:

Honda engine sounds good at full load, but very different from the rest in the transition from q rises and returns to accelerate.
Do they really want to say "different"? or do they mean "badly"?

Today it sounds more normal and the car is running more, it seems that the adjustements are working well.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Vasconia wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:A quote from the track:

Do they really want to say "different"? or do they mean "badly"?

Today it sounds more normal and the car is running more, it seems that the adjustements are working well.

not sure mate,the quote is google translated! :D

ollandos
ollandos

the engine is ok today ..and on run very low pressure...but turbo must be starting higher

Aaronque
Aaronque

It sounded like harley davidson when off throttle :lol: :wtf:

Thunder

After seeing that Picture from the McLaren Rear End on the last page i must say i'm a little in Love. :lol:

Also that Picture shows really well how Skinny that Car is.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

AMUS:

Shakeman

Last year ALL the engine sounds were very different during testing compared to how the cars sounded throughout the season.

I don't think engine sound is indicative of anything other than testing particularly of engine maps associated with the blending of ICE and electrical power. This time last the Merc was particularly tuneful creating a symphony of sounds.

KingHamilton01

Glad to see McLaren finally getting some meaningful lap's and mileage on the engine, this is after 2 day's pretty sure Red bull were still struggling at this point in the same test last season. Just show's the people who said McLaren were in trouble need to have more patience and a little faith.
McLaren Mercedes