Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
fawe4
fawe4

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

JoeE wrote: Why slow the aero program? Surely they should want as much DF as possible to combat Merc? Weather the engine is there or not, you still need points of DF.
Just adding aero elements will get you nowhere unless you know where you are at. For all they know, it could make the car slower, harder to drive, or it could have some other unforseen effect, and in the worst scenario they wouldn't know the cause. So for now first priority appears to be getting that engine going at full power for whole race distance. After that, they can focus on aero.

PlatinumZealot

ParkerArt wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is unifrom when the car is moving through a corner at high speeds.
What is the camber limit Pirelli are making the teams run to for the 2014+ season? There was a -4.0°limit on the front with a -2.5° limit on the rears but during 2014 the rears looked flatter than before, possibly to deal with the increased torque on corner exit?
Yes looks about that. The wet tyre profile is interesting too. Water displacement may have been a larger factor to the wet tyres grip than outright "dry" contact patch size.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

Thunder

It's just the 29 with a 2015 Nose and the "new" Livery.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Kalsi
Kalsi

fawe4 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
hollus wrote:Nice catch with the space under the gearbox, Sukhoi. And look at that rake!
http://i.imgur.com/TY8kJf4.jpg
So if I understand it correctly, the gearbox is "floating" ?
Didn't know this was even possible, great spot!
Gearbox is fixed to rear crash structure, It's the rear end of the floor under that that is detached from it.

Smart solution, one inevitably has to ask himself if they can make it bend. 8)
Ferrari F138 from 2013 season got something really similar, and so far those 2 cases are the only one i could spot
Would be nice to find some technical analysis on this topic as it seems quite interesting

Here are a couple of pics (Most unbelieavable undercut/coke bottle area of v8 cars era btw)

FrukostScones

Omnicorse on -30 radiators and compressor turbo installation

https://translate.google.de/translate?h ... e-dell-ers
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

frosty125
frosty125

Are they suggesting that the MGU K is inside the V next to the MGU H that splits the Turbine and compressor with the radiators above to cool them?

dren

frosty125 wrote:Are they suggesting that the MGU K is inside the V next to the MGU H that splits the Turbine and compressor with the radiators above to cool them?
Hard to tell unless someone here can speak Italian?

It reads that they don't have a similar layout as Mercedes, but then goes on to describe a similar layout as Mercedes.

Maybe they are saying the shaft that the compressor and turbine are on runs through the MGUH in the Mercedes. The Honda uses a coupling between the MGUH and turbine/compressor. The picture we've seen so far shows the compressor up front, suggesting a similar layout to Mercedes.
Honda!

one_o_six

dren wrote:
frosty125 wrote:Are they suggesting that the MGU K is inside the V next to the MGU H that splits the Turbine and compressor with the radiators above to cool them?
Hard to tell unless someone here can speak Italian?
It reads that they don't have a similar layout as Mercedes, but then goes on to describe a similar layout as Mercedes.
Maybe they are saying the shaft that the compressor and turbine are on runs through the MGUH in the Mercedes. The Honda uses a coupling between the MGUH and turbine/compressor. The picture we've seen so far shows the compressor up front, suggesting a similar layout to Mercedes.
Hi,
I've revised http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... e-dell-ers:
if the Mercedes has placed the compressor and the turbine at the edge of the six-cylinder connecting the two sides with a post and putting it in the middle of the MGU-H, the Japanese, however, have placed «the electric motor» coupled between IHI compressor and aero turbine, choosing a solution that has already been carried out in naval realizations.
According to the text, seems the MGU K is not in the middle of the V6. But the text isn't clear at all :-(

Richard
Richard

Speculation about HP of various engines has it's own special place... :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=21539

Lucky
Lucky

GoranF1
GoranF1

this "energy unit" looks like it's shaped to be in the v of ICE?

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

All i see is an oversized Sparkplug.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PlatinumZealot

Kalsi wrote:
fawe4 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:
So if I understand it correctly, the gearbox is "floating" ?
Didn't know this was even possible, great spot!
Gearbox is fixed to rear crash structure, It's the rear end of the floor under that that is detached from it.

Smart solution, one inevitably has to ask himself if they can make it bend. 8)
Ferrari F138 from 2013 season got something really similar, and so far those 2 cases are the only one i could spot
Would be nice to find some technical analysis on this topic as it seems quite interesting

Here are a couple of pics (Most unbelieavable undercut/coke bottle area of v8 cars era btw)

http://cdn-2.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... detail.jpg

http://www.formula1.com/wi/gi/597x478/W ... hn1284.jpg
After the first year of the double diffuser era... Ferrari decided to tilt the engine forward at an angle to leave more room on the floor behind it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, I can see how the massive transformer, fariday cage and tesla coil would fit in the V of the engine, and serve no purpose whatsover. #-o