Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shakeman

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Hail22 wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:F1 Fanatic:

Extra Cooling with air going to the rear. Like these much more than last year's !!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 70x313.jpg
Each individual cooling vein is perfectly scalloped, the one thing Mclaren technologies has been known to be great at is wind tunnel testing / track simulation to verify the tunnels performance and calculations.

How does that explain 2013's appalling car that was lauded as a massive step forward in the simulator but on track a horror which they didn't understand nor the parachute suspension which didn't give them a performance advantage last year? Data and simulation must've lead to the parachute suspension but were shown to be the wrong direction.

Ron did some Ron Speak when PP arrived saying they now have a true north for aero, I don't doubt that at all because the McLaren aero team has been under performing for years looking for gimmicks like blown rear wings, u shaped side pods and parachute suspension to provide the magic bullet to bridge the gap to RB and to some extent Ferrari. In many cases their gimmicks have been developed better by other teams too.

Mesteño

That bodywork

PhillipM
PhillipM

Shakeman wrote: nor the parachute suspension which didn't give them a performance advantage last year? Data and simulation must've lead to the parachute suspension but were shown to be the wrong direction.
I see a lot of people stating the suspension didn't work - yet many teams on the grid say McL had the most peak rear downforce but couldn't balance it or sustain it.
How do we know it didn't work? Because the car wasn't fastest? Is that down to the suspension, or the rest of the package - as far as we know, removing that suspension might well have made the whole thing even more of a dog.
It's quite telling that they've retained the rear arm link this year as flow conditioners - they found something there that was worth having.

horse

zeph previously posted this article by Mark Hughes on the lessons learned from the MP4-29. In there it states the blockers worked well, but the assumptions about being able to get the front downforce to match the rear were wrong, and so they could never exploit the blockers fully.

Autosport have just put up an article quoting Matt Morris saying the blocking suspension can be used again if they want. I guess they will see if they are getting rear end limited before they try it again.
Last edited by horse on 15 Feb 2015, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

SilverToM
SilverToM

McLaren store bag..... this is the real nose?

Shakeman

horse wrote:zeph previously posted this article by Mark Hughes on the lessons learned from the MP4-29. In there it states the blockers worked well, but the assumptions about being able to get the front downforce to match the rear were wrong, and so they could never exploit the blockers fully.

Autosport have just put up an article quoting Matt Morris saying the blocking suspension can be used again if they want. I guess they will see if they are getting rear end limited before they try it again.
Yep, those blockers worked so well they're not on this year's car.

From the article " But ultimately, it was McLaren’s vast resources pointed in the wrong direction." Which happens to be pretty close to what I said.

As I said they didn't give a performance advantage, McLaren's own words, "The big aero challenge of the new formula turned out not to be more rear downforce, but in balancing some of that with decent front downforce."

If McLaren had excellent simulation and track correlation they'd have know they would've been front limited last year. Which is the point I was replying too. The parachute suspension was the wrong direction, a fact.

PlatinumZealot

Shakeman wrote:
horse wrote:zeph previously posted this article by Mark Hughes on the lessons learned from the MP4-29. In there it states the blockers worked well, but the assumptions about being able to get the front downforce to match the rear were wrong, and so they could never exploit the blockers fully.

Yep, those blockers worked so well they're not on this year's car.

From the article " But ultimately, it was McLaren’s vast resources pointed in the wrong direction." Which happens to be pretty close to what I said.

As I said they didn't give a performance advantage, McLaren's own words, "The big aero challenge of the new formula turned out not to be more rear downforce, but in balancing some of that with decent front downforce."

If McLaren had excellent simulation and track correlation they'd have know they would've been front limited last year. Which is the point I was replying too. The parachute suspension was the wrong direction, a fact.
If the blockers, which are removable, were working so horrendously, why did they keep them on in all the races?
The MP4-30 even has the same mounting points for the blockers so let us wait and see if they will still be used.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Redragon

You can even see the flowviz trace on the floor with so much gap

Del Boy
Del Boy

dero wrote:
avatar wrote:It's a Super capacitor, presumably?
If that is their energy store (and it's not just having external voltage put across it), I can't see how they'd get LIon to discharge that fast...
Are you referring to the arcing in the video posted above?
Neither a Cap nor a Battery would arc over such a huge distance.
I don't get how any of you can read so much into such a cheesy marketing piece. I'd say there is about 0 real technical content in it.

cheers
I just went & checked theFIA Voltage limit & it's 1KV (tech regs 5.12.5), so you're right if it were run at track-legal voltage, so its probably running a couple of MV voltage from a Tesla coil like someone else said. They could have wired their ES in as a Capacitor in the coil setup - not direct relevance, but wouldn't be possible with a LIon battery & RonD keeps yammering about them having something none else has run yet, so I made the leap.

Disappointingly, you're probably right that they're just arcing through the casing rather than it being wired in/active in the vid :(
why would they be using a Li-Ion battery, last year they used Li-Po batteries and this year Rumours were for Lithium - Lithium batteries. Or as I understand them Lithium anode carbon batteries.
Last edited by Del Boy on 15 Feb 2015, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

AlainProst
AlainProst

SilverToM wrote:Image

Anyway, McLaren, Toro Rosso and Ferrari will change their nose so it's a good picture. It's the same than on the Ferrari F14T

OO7
OO7

AlainProst wrote:
SilverToM wrote:http://forma1f1.hu/forum/download/file.php?id=56

Anyway, McLaren, Toro Rosso and Ferrari will change their nose so it's a good picture. It's the same than on the Ferrari F14T
And Mercedes.

Thunder

Don't know if this Picture has been posted before, i haven't seen it. Great View of the Front Wing and Brake Assembly.

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Shakeman

PlatinumZealot wrote: If the blockers, which are removable, were working so horrendously, why did they keep them on in all the races?
The MP4-30 even has the same mounting points for the blockers so let us wait and see if they will still be used.
The car was designed around those blockers and removing them completely would've meant different rake setup, floor and diffuser and who knows what else upstream. They also removed the top blockers during the season too.

I don't know what more evidence you need after McLaren themselves said it was the wrong direction? If you don't want to take McLaren's word for it refresh your memory who McLaren were racing last season with one of the biggest budgets and the best engine in F1 in 2014?

Things that work normally stay on the car unless they're banned by rule change, the blockers are not on the car this year.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Blaze1 wrote:
AlainProst wrote:
SilverToM wrote:http://forma1f1.hu/forum/download/file.php?id=56

And Mercedes.
No Mercedes has their final nose as Lotus. But Sauber and Red Bull will also change their nose probably

otbsti

AlainProst wrote:
No Mercedes has their final nose as Lotus. But Sauber and Red Bull will also change their nose probably
Wrong. According to Scarbs and Peter Windsor, Mercedes is also planning a nose change.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44