Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mesteño

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Last edited by Mesteño on 19 Feb 2015, 14:21, edited 3 times in total.

Thunder

It's not a missing Tool, it's a faulty Seal. And they will run tomorrow but can not guarantee that the Problem won't appear again. The redesigned Part will be in the Car on Saturday, hopefully fixing the Problem for good.

The Autosport Article explains it well.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1360844370
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

Discussion in the car thread should only about the faulty seal, not about lamenting the limited running.
#AeroFrodo

frosty125
frosty125

I do find it interesting that a failure of a MGU-K seal would necessitate a complete replacement of PU. Could this suggest that the Honda MGU-K is integrated into the PU to a greater degree?

turbof1

All the manufacturers probably integrated it fairly radical in the PU. Probably a mechanical part of it got loose and just wrecked the ICE.
#AeroFrodo

dren

I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow integrated into the clutch pack. Actually it could serve as the clutch. I'll have to go read the regulations to see if that is allowed.
Last edited by dren on 19 Feb 2015, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

frosty125
frosty125

turbof1 wrote:All the manufacturers probably integrated it fairly radical in the PU. Probably a mechanical part of it got loose and just wrecked the ICE.
You are probably right I don't think I quite understand how advanced this new generation of PUs are, I still remember the V8s and KERS was pretty much bolt on item.

Shakeman

Postmoe wrote:This car is really good looking.
I have to agree, I think this is the best looking McLaren for a loooong time.

The packaging is an order of magnitude better than recent years and doesn't look gimmicky in any area and looks like it has acquired some thoroughbred RB genes.

Facts Only
Facts Only

turbof1 wrote:All the manufacturers probably integrated it fairly radical in the PU. Probably a mechanical part of it got loose and just wrecked the ICE.
They're actually surprisingly remote and bolt on items, a lot of that is down the incredibly complex way they are made with the windings and coolant channels potted (filled with resin basically) into the casing and partly so they can be replaced separately from the other parts of the PU.

Looking at the seal story I suspect one of two things has happened, either a coolant seal has gone and allowed coolant into the PU oil system which has damaged the PU or that the rotary seal which goes over the MGUK shaft as it enters the gear drive (usually wet) has gone and damaged the machined cavity in the block so it cant be fixed with a new seal.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Thunder

Without knowing how that Seal looks, what Material it is made of or what it actually does, is it possible that Honda can design and manufacture a new Part in such a short Time or do we think they did know about this part being potentially dangerous from the Jerez Test and just couldn't make it until today?

I think we can firmly rule out an O-Ring or a Paper Gasket.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

hurril
hurril

dren wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow integrated into the clutch pack. Actually it could serve as the clutch. I'll have to go read the regulations to see if that is allowed.
What would this mean?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Could be anything, maybe something they've picked up recently on the dyno and have been redesigning, could be as simple as a steel cased seal that's spun and chewed up the seating area so they can't sort it without a new case/PU

turbof1

Facts Only wrote:
They're actually surprisingly remote and bolt on items, a lot of that is down the incredibly complex way they are made with the windings and coolant channels potted (filled with resin basically) into the casing and partly so they can be replaced separately from the other parts of the PU.

Looking at the seal story I suspect one of two things has happened, either a coolant seal has gone and allowed coolant into the PU oil system which has damaged the PU or that the rotary seal which goes over the MGUK shaft as it enters the gear drive (usually wet) has gone and damaged the machined cavity in the block so it cant be fixed with a new seal.
Good stuff, Facts Only.

Could either be a bad batch of parts, or a structural issue on the seal. Either way doesn't look like a hugely complicated issue, just not possible to have an interim fix.
#AeroFrodo

PlatinumZealot

Facts Only wrote:

What do you think about the replacement seal? How different would it be?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Thunders wrote:Without knowing how that Seal looks, what Material it is made of or what it actually does, is it possible that Honda can design and manufacture a new Part in such a short Time or do we think they did know about this part being potentially dangerous from the Jerez Test and just couldn't make it until today?
I'd assume they've been aware of the issue since Jerez and have been working on a fix ever since, probably rushing the new seal through to be ready on Saturday. Depending on where the part is being manufactured then I don't think it would take too long, other than doing the usual safety checks and then shipping time. If it's coming from Japan then that may explain why they can't get it until Saturday. Only question I'm pondering is should the same problem occur tomorrow will they have another development power unit ready to slot in for Saturday or will they skip to the race specification power unit early to see if any issues crop up before the final test ?