Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
frosty125
frosty125

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

From what I have heard and seen the Compressor is at front.

aleks_ader

frosty125 wrote:From what I have heard and seen the Compressor is at front.
Me too. I dont see other option. At least from ABD and Jerez tests....
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

vinuneuro
vinuneuro

Facts Only wrote:I've just re-read the Autosport story and the quotes from Honda and they both use the Terms "faulty" and "redesign" which are contradictory. Either the seal was faulty (IE Not made correctly to the design/quality requirements) so should just be replaced with a non-faulty item or the design was wrong in the first place in which case the seal wasn't faulty, the design was.

Perhaps they mean that the sealing system is faulty, IE that it doesn't work as intended due to an oversight at the design stage. From experience this can happen quite often as a few microns can be the difference between a seal working perfectly and oil/coolant pissing out everywhere (anyone remember the dyno' fire at HPP?) so can be a bit of a trial and error process.

With it being a 2 day turnaround I doubt they are changing the design of a rubber component as there isn't enough time to re-tool, likely if will be a change to the size/interference/tolerance on a machined housing that can be re-designed and re-made in a matter of hours.

That's just my speculation anyway, I don't think this is a serious thing at all but it is losing them valuable mileage.
According to the autosport+ article, Arai is quoted saying it's a quality issue and not design.

Hopefully, these reliability issues seem like a speck in retrospect. "It's easier to make a fast car reliable than to make a reliable car fast." Operationally this is a brand new organization at Honda, there were bound to be such non-performance related issues.

frosty125
frosty125

I read that article made me think or two options the first that the design of the seal is right they just didn't specify the right grade of material. The second option is that the batch of seals they have are out of spec.

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:But you just don't redesign and build a seal then assemble the MGU-K on an engine then ship it to Spain in a day.
Therefore the seal has to have a fast lead time. If the seal is for a shaft, then this means it must be off the shelf. If the seal is just a gasket, hover, then I can sorta see them redesigning, manufacturing and installing it on the PU in a day. :?:

Isn't the MGU for Honda made by Mclaren?
I don't know. Just saying that shaft seals are a bit complex to redesign and make in a day. So I figure the seal is off the shelf if it is a shaft seal. ( A whole bunch a stuff in the lip of a shaft seal).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

tok-tokkie wrote:Seals can be cnc machined from bar stock. An example http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/C ... 80953.html
They would not use that kind of seal in the KERS. The seals you see on high speed shafts don't really look that that one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Aaronque
Aaronque

Day 2
Okay....

Morteza

From the front:

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bauc

From Ted SkySport's F1:

"McLaren tell us that the engine hasn’t run on full power yet, so they don’t know where they are at the moment. It’s a very difficult situation for them. Aerodynamically, it’s an adventurous car but they just don’t know if it is working yet because the engine and the energy-recovery system isn’t working yet!"

I'm starting to get worried now as (not counting today) we have 6 more pre-season test days left
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

bauc wrote:From Ted SkySport's F1:

"McLaren tell us that the engine hasn’t run on full power yet, so they don’t know where they are at the moment. It’s a very difficult situation for them. Aerodynamically, it’s an adventurous car but they just don’t know if it is working yet because the engine and the energy-recovery system isn’t working yet!"

I'm starting to get worried now as (not counting today) we have 6 more pre-season test days left
That's still enough time to do race simulations and qualifying simulations. They need this test to iron out the rest of the engine issues, the next test ideally they would arrive with a race spec engine and hopefully 2 cars. Let's not forget Honda aren't alone here, Renault have made quite a big change to their engine and are also experiencing some issues. Let's hope Alonso get's a full day of running today.

Rhodium

Thunder

Can't be that bad if McLaren tweets such a Pic. :D
Probably just excess Oil.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Marc.W

I know times are moot during testing but if they haven't ran full power yet and they are laying down times in the 1.27's then I'm hopeful that once the reliability issues are resolved McLaren will have a very good car to work with

Rhodium

Thunders wrote:Can't be that bad if McLaren tweets such a Pic. :D

you're right, Alonso make a good time: 1.26.741

no engine problem...

snorri788
snorri788

Thunders wrote:Can't be that bad if McLaren tweets such a Pic. :D
Oil levels wrong again? McLaren engineers showing their frustration by burning it in front of the engine guys?