Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Modified diffuser

Del Boy
Del Boy

Juzh wrote:
ringo wrote:Is the Honda engine team completely responsible for the engine, or do you have some in-house McLaren guys adopting some of the engine's responsibilities?
I am starting to think that the PU is quite complex and some things can be overlooked because of the structure of the team assigned responsibilities. However if the PU team is solely Honda guys, then there should be no blame on mcalren for any of the mishaps that take place.
Isn't mclaren responsible for the ERS system?
Surely, Honda have to make the ERS as both parts are part of the PU.
MGU-H is directly coupled to the turbine and compressor
MGU-K coupled to the drive shaft via a clutch (I believe) Although the gearbox is made by McLaren the MGU-K is from the crankshaft.
Plus, McLaren don't have any history of making motor/generator units. The P1's PU is made by Ricardo

frosty125
frosty125

I assume they are testing last years wings not for performance but validate the results against CFD and wind tunnel?

Coefficient
Coefficient

Del Boy wrote:
Juzh wrote:
ringo wrote:Is the Honda engine team completely responsible for the engine, or do you have some in-house McLaren guys adopting some of the engine's responsibilities?
I am starting to think that the PU is quite complex and some things can be overlooked because of the structure of the team assigned responsibilities. However if the PU team is solely Honda guys, then there should be no blame on mcalren for any of the mishaps that take place.
Isn't mclaren responsible for the ERS system?
Surely, Honda have to make the ERS as both parts are part of the PU.
MGU-K coupled to the drive shaft via a clutch (I believe) Although the gearbox is made by McLaren the MGU-K is from the crankshaft.
Plus, McLaren don't have any history of making motor/generator units. The P1's PU is made by Ricardo
Honda were only enticed back to the sport because they wanted to express/showcase their abilities with hybrid technology. As such I suggest they would not entertain the notion of providing a 1.6l turbo to Mclaren whilst Mclaren produce all the Hybrid tech.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Thunder

Some more Pictures of this Beauty: (right click -> open in new Tab for full Size)

And we even can post Rake Pictures now here in the McLaren Topic :D :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

hollus

Don't know about that. Is the rake part of the car, or under the car? ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

Thunder

We have Neweys lost Son now, it is whatever we want. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

Coefficient wrote:
Del Boy wrote: Surely, Honda have to make the ERS as both parts are part of the PU.
Honda were only enticed back to the sport because they wanted to express/showcase their abilities with hybrid technology. As such I suggest they would not entertain the notion of providing a 1.6l turbo to Mclaren whilst Mclaren produce all the Hybrid tech.

There was an article after the Honda announcement that Mclaren would be a supplier for the electrical and electronic components on the engine

Mclaren has quiet a bit of know how on the MGU, maybe Fact Only can provide insight into that.

Formula E MGU is supplied by Mclaren same with the P1

Postmoe

Thunders wrote: And we even can post Rake Pictures now here in the McLaren Topic :D :D
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 612.78.jpg
This is clearly a "head can squeeze under" rake level... not that this concept is a healthy one literally, but damm, aerodynamically...

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:
Del Boy wrote: Surely, Honda have to make the ERS as both parts are part of the PU.

There was an article after the Honda announcement that Mclaren would be a supplier for the electrical and electronic components on the engine

Mclaren has quiet a bit of know how on the MGU, maybe Fact Only can provide insight into that.

Formula E MGU is supplied by Mclaren same with the P1
Hmm.. Arai was boasting about Honda's expertise in ERS in one of his japanese interviews. its a mystery how much of hand each party had in the ERS.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Avocado
Avocado

Very positive day! :)

Dazmacca5700
Dazmacca5700

Great day and looked good, silly question and perhaps not the place to raise it, but rumours are the car was running without ERS, could there be any fact? Started with a twitt from scarbs. :?: :?: :?:

The Moderator

does it true?
Alonso was drive with 162 less than others due to disconnect of MGU-K to avoid reliability issues

the EDGE
the EDGE

Dazmacca5700 wrote:Great day and looked good, silly question and perhaps not the place to raise it, but rumours are the car was running without ERS, could there be any fact? Started with a twitt from scarbs. :?: :?: :?:
No chance, ERS is worth at least 6 seconds on a hot lap, the teams aren't running flat, but their not hiding that much pace

They had ERS problems yesterday due to a dodgy seal on an MGU-K so maybe he said they might choose to run with out it, but they didn't

KingHamilton01

Good to see some progress with the car, but at the same time the team admitting that need it to run smoothly from now on, I hope the new part they have for 2morrow let's the car run properly and they can finally unleash this beauty!
McLaren Mercedes