Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

turbof1 wrote:So apperently the redesigned seal also failed:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117762

(please no complaining about it in the car thread, only discussion about why and how it possibly failed)
is there much to discuss?
its clearly a poorly designed part
Just a fan's point of view

turbof1

There's a good discussion in that, Facts Only proved that a few days ago:
Facts Only wrote:I've just re-read the Autosport story and the quotes from Honda and they both use the Terms "faulty" and "redesign" which are contradictory. Either the seal was faulty (IE Not made correctly to the design/quality requirements) so should just be replaced with a non-faulty item or the design was wrong in the first place in which case the seal wasn't faulty, the design was.

Perhaps they mean that the sealing system is faulty, IE that it doesn't work as intended due to an oversight at the design stage. From experience this can happen quite often as a few microns can be the difference between a seal working perfectly and oil/coolant pissing out everywhere (anyone remember the dyno' fire at HPP?) so can be a bit of a trial and error process.

With it being a 2 day turnaround I doubt they are changing the design of a rubber component as there isn't enough time to re-tool, likely if will be a change to the size/interference/tolerance on a machined housing that can be re-designed and re-made in a matter of hours.

That's just my speculation anyway, I don't think this is a serious thing at all but it is losing them valuable mileage.
#AeroFrodo

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I must admit, I'm quite in love with the looks of this car :D I would say it's probably the best looking car on the grid.

maccafan
maccafan

I sense a bit of stupidity from mclaren and how they conduct testing. Wouldnt it be better to turn down the engine settings and do test everything else but the engine. Then in the afternoon turn up the settings and handle eventual failure. What they are doing now is somewhat contraproductive.

Jordan44

maccafan wrote:I sense a bit of stupidity from mclaren and how they conduct testing. Wouldnt it be better to turn down the engine settings and do test everything else but the engine. Then in the afternoon turn up the settings and handle eventual failure. What they are doing now is somewhat contraproductive.
I'm pretty sure they have got the engine turned down. It's no where near being pushed to its limits.

Very concerning that the new seal design has failed again, with only a handful of days to go until homologation...

CjC
CjC

J0rd4n wrote:
maccafan wrote:I sense a bit of stupidity from mclaren and how they conduct testing. Wouldnt it be better to turn down the engine settings and do test everything else but the engine. Then in the afternoon turn up the settings and handle eventual failure. What they are doing now is somewhat contraproductive.
I'm pretty sure they have got the engine turned down. It's no where near being pushed to its limits.

Very concerning that the new seal design has failed again, with only a handful of days to go until homologation...
Are they allowed to change parts for reliability without using their tokens once the homologation is in force?
Just a fan's point of view

Richard
Richard

Curious that it failed so early for Button while Alonso completed a lot more mileage yesterday. I thought Alonso had the same design as Button on day 1.

hollus

On day 2 Alonso never made more than 6 laps in one go.
Rivals, not enemies.

ringo

Maybe they ran with more limitations with Alonso.
As for the seal, i'm not sure how much redesigning they can do outside of different materials, since the seal fits in a confined space. If anything they may have to redesign the housing that the seal is supposed to fit in.

The car looks like it will be quick in high speed turns, but i get the feeling that the car is so well packaged that it might be very draggy, similar to the old redbulls. Not a bad formula to work with, but tracks like Monza may be their weakness.
For Sure!!

KingHamilton01

It's a Shame that the part failed, can someone explain to me about the Re-engineered part please. Does this mean they have got the same part with a modification coming for sunday? or just a duplication of this part that has failed?
McLaren Mercedes

maccafan
maccafan

CjC wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:

Are they allowed to change parts for reliability without using their tokens once the homologation is in force?
Yes they can change parts if it is for reliability reasons. To make the change legal they need to report it to FIA and a group of experts will decide if the change will bring performance increase. However i wonder if they can change material that the part consists of without reporting to FIA?

damager21
damager21

We all knew that McLaren and Honda will face serious challenge competing this year given that Honda is making a come back after 5 years and has 1 year less experience as compared to Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault.

What one may not have anticipated is the never ending issues that Honda is facing with its PU. Abu Dhabi test, Jerez test, Filming days, after so many attempts it is unacceptable on Honda's part not to have got on top of the issues. What is more shocking is the fact that the issue which was identified on Thursday and was expected to be rectified today still exists. It is like taking one step forward and two step backwards.

Let's not forget that all these issues are cropping up when their PU is not even pushed to the limits. The last thing they may want is heating issues once PU is working 100%.

In all this, McLaren is lacking required mileage and data to validate their aero efficiency. This may also impact their future upgrades. This test has already turned out to be another disaster for the team. Hope they can put some mileage tomorrow and end this test on a positive note.

KingHamilton01

damager21 wrote:We all knew that McLaren and Honda will face serious challenge competing this year given that Honda is making a come back after 5 years and has 1 year less experience as compared to Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault.

What one may not have anticipated is the never ending issues that Honda is facing with its PU. Abu Dhabi test, Jerez test, Filming days, after so many attempts it is unacceptable on Honda's part not to have got on top of the issues. What is more shocking is the fact that the issue which was identified on Thursday and was expected to be rectified today still exists. It is like taking one step forward and two step backwards.

Let's not forget that all these issues are cropping up when their PU is not even pushed to the limits. The last thing they may want is heating issues once PU is working 100%.

In all this, McLaren is lacking required mileage and data to validate their aero efficiency. This may also impact their future upgrades. This test has already turned out to be another disaster for the team. Hope they can put some mileage tomorrow and end this test on a positive note.
To be honest I think McLaren know that they are already well behind and yes you could argue that Honda need to step there game up, however you said it yourself they have been out of the sport for 5 year's and a lot has changed. Alonso has already admitted that Melbourne will come to early for McLaren and at this rate they face a race to get mileage on the engine and components to make it reliable.

But I have read it somewhere else already you would be stupid to right them off, especially when they still have another 4 day's after 2morrow to get it right. Come Melbourne I think the target could just be to make sure they finish the race, depressing for us as fan's but that is the reality of it at the moment. This could change come sunday.....? as you said let's hope so.
McLaren Mercedes

dren

The Renault and Ferrari PUs weren't sorted until halfway through the season last year. The same can be expected of Honda.

As for the seal issue, I thought they ran with Thursday's PU today because it was going to take too long to fix the seal that arrived and that they'd have the fix ready for Sunday. So they ran with reduced MGUK power today.
Honda!

dren

ringo wrote:The car looks like it will be quick in high speed turns, but i get the feeling that the car is so well packaged that it might be very draggy, similar to the old redbulls. Not a bad formula to work with, but tracks like Monza may be their weakness.
That doesn't make sense. Why would a well packaged car be more draggy?

Have you located ellipses all over the car, too?
Honda!