2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CevertF1
CevertF1

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

NathanOlder wrote:I think at this point Mclaren are the only ones who can stop the mighty Mercedes team.

Simply because we don't know how fast Mclaren are. I have no faith in Mclaren to get it right, but if I had to bet on a team beating Mercedes, it would be the guys from Woking, because we already know Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams are already beaten :)
Sadly I don't even think McLaren will be finishing the first few races, let alone get points,podiums or wins. :(

I'm expecting DNF's for the first 3-4 races, but would be very happy if I'm wrong, I'd love to see them battling the Mercs. ...heck I'd like to see anyone battling the Mercs :P

GPR-A duplicate2

Juzh wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:I think at this point Mclaren are the only ones who can stop the mighty Mercedes team.

Simply because we don't know how fast Mclaren are. I have no faith in Mclaren to get it right, but if I had to bet on a team beating Mercedes, it would be the guys from Woking, because we already know Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams are already beaten :)
Yeah f**k logic and everything we've seen so far. Lets just jump to the wildest speculations instead :roll: :roll: #-o #-o
What's we have seen so far, would make one believe that there is AWESOME CHAMPIONSHIP lined up this year, that include various teams fighting tooth and nail. Whatever @NathanOlder has mentioned is the same stuff written all over internet with various degree of dismissal.

Chuckjr

I think tires are going to play a much larger role this year and will be a key factor to Merc being catchable...just my 2 cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Juzh wrote:

Yeah f**k logic and everything we've seen so far. Lets just jump to the wildest speculations instead :roll: :roll: #-o #-o
because that never happens.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dans79

Chuckjr wrote:I think tires are going to play a much larger role this year and will be a key factor to Merc being catchable...just my 2 cents.
I doubt that, this year's tires are more thermally durable, but a little less abrasively so.
201 105 104 9 9 7

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Chuckjr wrote:I think tires are going to play a much larger role this year and will be a key factor to Merc being catchable...just my 2 cents.

It don't know about that. Because Mercedes were coasting for a good portion of the races last year, they actually had pretty good tire wear and even when they were pushing, their tire deg wasn't any worse than Ferrari or Williams...

The 2015 tires are softer but it's the temperature spikes when tires are sliding that causes the rubbers and plastics in the tread compound to degrade. If the fastest car can avoid wheel slippage but still remain as fast as the following cars, their tire wear will still be better.

GPR-A duplicate2

Based on what? Paul Hembrey of Pirelli, kept saying that, because they expect the power units to get more powerful, it would already add more stress on tyres and they are not planning to add any other variable into tyres by trying to be aggressive. It would be wishful thinking if someone believes that the tyres would become achilles heal for Merc because if someone has paid a huge price to learn about tyres, it's Merc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116145
Pirelli is hopeful that it will be able to test its 2015 Formula 1 tyres for the first time in the post-Abu Dhabi Grand Prix test.

AUTOSPORT understands that McLaren and Force India were objecting to a proposal by Pirelli to run development tyres in the week after the season finale.

However, Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery said on Friday that he was optimistic a deal could now be reached so teams could try the new specification tyres before next year.

"It seems that the two teams that were objecting might not object anymore," he said.

"So I think if we go with extra sets on top of the annual allocation, hopefully we can do that."

The changes to the 2015 tyres are only minor, relating to construction and a potentially different compound for the supersoft.

"They are not hugely different - there is a structural change but it is not massive," added Hembery.

"The compounding elements are similar to this year and I think you will see that really for the next two years.

"We don't have any ability to test anyway; more or less where you are today is where you have to be.

"We have a year where we have been in line with a number of pitstops.

"The races could perhaps have been a bit more interesting if there was more of a challenge for the teams.

"But if the cars do get quicker, what is maybe not such a challenge today could become a big challenge tomorrow if you stand still."
We all can wish for great racing and not one team dominating, but when reality is so obviously glaring, it's hard to remain any more optimistic.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

As said in the testing thread, Merc are so far ahead, they can afford an extra pitstop on the field and still finish 1-2.

Seems to be a lot of people desperately looking for any glimmer of hope that they won't see a borefest like last season. Unfortunately that doesn't exist.

turbof1

Jonnycraig wrote: Seems to be a lot of people desperately looking for any glimmer of hope that they won't see a borefest like last season. Unfortunately that doesn't exist.
Can it be better? It always can be better, but we definitely had worse in the recent past. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. There are people in this thread who are excited about this season, even under the dominating conditions of mercedes, so leave them with what you call "a glimmer of hope", or rather what they find are things to look out for.

People, the race threads are not here for complaining about current F1. We had and have (too) many threads where people tell their grievances about it, so stick to that for complaints.

I also noticed some hostilities here. I'll deal with that in a minute...
#AeroFrodo

George-Jung
George-Jung

YES!!

The start of every F1 season is always something I am really looking forward!
Also because that means to me that spring is in the air en wintertime is over..

My prediction of Melbourne;

Hamilton en Rosberg will battle for the win.. and Vettel will complete the podium.

Ahhhh sh!t, I really can't wait!

AnthonyG

I'm in Barcelona that weekend, is F1 a big thing there you can folow live in certain places/bars?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

SectorOne

As long as there´s a fight at the front, season will be well above average.
If one of them bugger off we will have the same boring seasons we had with Vettel post-10

Hoping to see another Bahrain this year, that was f*cking epic wheel to wheel racing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

AnthonyG wrote:I'm in Barcelona that weekend, is F1 a big thing there you can folow live in certain places/bars?
I don't know whether bars have any interest in broadcasting F1.
Antena 3, Movistar [payed], TV3 and Esport 3 all broadcast F1 live. Movistar is pay so i don't expect that to be accesible.

I think you'll probably be subjected to viewing in your hotel room if they offer these channels in their hotel tv pack,
or streaming through internet. Personally, my advise would be to simply enjoy your stay in Barcelona and upon return in your home country to download the race [ pm me if you don't know how. i'm not offering anything but i can give some usefull tips ].
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mesteño

If you go to a bar and ask the barman there should be no problem. Antena 3 is the channel.

the EDGE
the EDGE

AnthonyG wrote:I'm in Barcelona that weekend, is F1 a big thing there you can folow live in certain places/bars?
Yea I'd say F1 is pretty big in Spain thanks to a certain driver called Alfonso... Or something like that any way, and seeing as they have their own race in Barcelona, I could see there being quite a following there

However you do know it's on at 6am CET right? And given both the fact that said certain driver isn't Racing and the Spanish's obvious detest of early mornings, especially in winter/early spring... I Could see you struggle to find a bar open that has a tv on