2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

FrukostScones wrote:anyone sees McLaren on a surprise pole?

maybe the car is a one lap wonder?

Yeah it's a wonder they can do 1 lap.

I'm rooting for them but the fly aways look bleak. In AUS I'm just hoping they can run all 3 days and I'm keeping this in mind. "He who expecteth nothin' ain't gonna be deceived"

Jordan44

On the earlier subject of a possibility of Mercedes's tyre problems returning...
This team has had since 2010 a very bad reputation in how used tires. In 2013 we had a car that was able to winning qualification, we realized but painful shortcomings in endurance tires, " admits Lowe.

"Do this car so we put a lot more effort. When I came here last year, so incredibly impressed me, to what extent do the investing and understand the tires. The team had in the years 2010 - 2012 the misfortune to DNA car tires simply did not fit.

Thanks to this, but the team came up with a much better research and development, with a much better understanding than other teams, and during 2014 a weakness transformed into advantage. In season 2014 we were able to use the tires probably the best in the pit lane, in terms of both performance and also their stamina. "

Mercedes has acquired good knowledge of how the new Pirelli tires work. "It's not so obvious. Cars, and various aspects of the car can be good or bad according luck. There are cars that have won championships, the people, the people around them and jiggled pretend to know everything, but in fact benefited from things around, which did not really understand. They often revolved around the tires.

These cars are so many parameters and thus little opportunity to test them, so many of these parameters are transferred from one year to another. They become part of the DNA of the car. Tyres can win or lose championships, and so it is already 20 to 30 years.

They are the most complex part of the car. This is because they are just so weird dynamic and difficult to accurately understand. Recently, there was one car that was able to withstand the tires very long time, and sufficed with one stop less than others. When you have but to ask the engineers failed to tell you exactly why it has such a property, " Lowe surprising stories from the paddock.
Paddy Lowe at http://f1news.autoroad.cz/technika/4966 ... tak-dobry/

So as I was saying, it's nothing to do with Pirelli and the conservative compound. Mercedes simply did their homework, because they knew they wouldn't dominant otherwise. So I can think you can just about cross this off the reasons why Mercedes might not win this grand prix.

Slightly off topic but the fact that Mercedes knew how to fix the problems from their 2013 car gives me great hope for the future. They had the fastest car in 2013 for a large part of the year with the V8s. If they ever do loose their engine advantage, they should still be able to find a margin somewhere. Their aerodynamics are excellent if not the best regardless of what people keep saying.

bdr529

Fulcrum wrote:Considering everything they have been through, I wonder if it might not be a good idea to start both McLaren's from the pit lane? The reasoning for this approach is as follows:
---- see original text -----
If both cars were to start from the pit lane they could remove the element of risk involved with a grid start. They could run in clean air, adopt optimal tire strategies and give themselves their best chance of finishing. Points would obviously be very difficult but, as they never appeared likely, this shouldn't be of concern at this point.
Not that I'd rule this option out, I would wait to Saturday evening when there's more data and a better picture of were Mclaren stand compared to the other teams that qualified around them. You really don't want to start the weekend off or season in this case with the mind set of a last place team

nokivasara
nokivasara

SectorOne wrote:So.. time for predictions...

1. don´t give a sh*t
2. don´t give a sh*t
3. don´t give a sh*t
4. don´t give a sh*t
5. don´t give a sh*t
6. really don´t give a sh*t

I´m just excited to see Formula 1 again.
I'm with you on this, ready for some wheel to wheel racing again =D>

Gentlemen, start yer engines!

AlainProst
AlainProst

Official rank after the end of the Melbourne race.

1-ROSBERG.........................................................(Mercedes AMG F1)................W06 Hybrid/01
2-HAMILTON........................................................(Mercedes AMG F1)................W06 Hybrid/01
3-BOTTAS...........................................................(Williams F1 Team)................FW37/01
4-RICCIARDO.......................................................(Infiniti Red Bull Racing)...........RB11/01
5-VETTEL............................................................(Scuderia Ferrari)..................SF15-T/01
6-MASSA.............................................................(Williams F1 Team)................FW37/01
7-KVYAT..............................................................(Infiniti Red Bull Racing)..........RB11/01
8-GROSJEAN.........................................................(Lotus F1 Team)...................E23 Hybrid/01
9-RÄIIKKÖNEN.......................................................(Scuderia Ferrari).................SF15-T/01
10-VERSTAPPEN.....................................................(Scuderia Toro-Rosso).............STR10/01
11-HULKENBERG....................................................(Sahara Force India F1 Team)....VJM08/01
12-MALDONADO.....................................................(Lotus F1 Team)...................E23 Hybrid/01
13-SAINZ.Jr..........................................................(Scuderia Toro-Rosso).............STR10/01
14-NASR.............................................................(Sauber F1 Team)..................C34/01
15-ERICSSON........................................................(Sauber F1 Team)..................C34/01
16-STEVENS(DNF)...................................................(Manor GP).........................MR04/01
17-PEREZ (DNF).....................................................(Sahara Force India F1 Team)....VJM08/01
18-BUTTON (DNF)...................................................(McLaren-Honda)..................MP4-30/01
19-MAGNUSSEN (DNF)..............................................(McLaren-Honda)..................MP4-30/01
20-MEHRI (DNF).....................................................(Manor GP).........................MR04/01

Formula 1® FOM.
2015 G-P of Australia, Melbourne, 15/03/2015.

aral
aral

AlainProst wrote:Official rank after the end of the Melbourne race.

1-ROSBERG.........................................................(Mercedes AMG F1)................W06 Hybrid/01
2-HAMILTON........................................................(Mercedes AMG F1)................W06 Hybrid/01
3-BOTTAS...........................................................(Williams F1 Team)................FW37/01
4-RICCIARDO.......................................................(Infiniti Red Bull Racing)...........RB11/01
5-VETTEL............................................................(Scuderia Ferrari)..................SF15-T/01
6-MASSA.............................................................(Williams F1 Team)................FW37/01
7-KVYAT..............................................................(Infiniti Red Bull Racing)..........RB11/01
8-GROSJEAN.........................................................(Lotus F1 Team)...................E23 Hybrid/01
9-RÄIIKKÖNEN.......................................................(Scuderia Ferrari).................SF15-T/01
10-VERSTAPPEN.....................................................(Scuderia Toro-Rosso).............STR10/01
11-HULKENBERG....................................................(Sahara Force India F1 Team)....VJM08/01
12-MALDONADO.....................................................(Lotus F1 Team)...................E23 Hybrid/01
13-SAINZ.Jr..........................................................(Scuderia Toro-Rosso).............STR10/01
14-NASR.............................................................(Sauber F1 Team)..................C34/01
15-ERICSSON........................................................(Sauber F1 Team)..................C34/01
16-STEVENS(DNF)...................................................(Manor GP).........................MR04/01
17-PEREZ (DNF).....................................................(Sahara Force India F1 Team)....VJM08/01
18-BUTTON (DNF)...................................................(McLaren-Honda)..................MP4-30/01
19-MAGNUSSEN (DNF)..............................................(McLaren-Honda)..................MP4-30/01
20-MEHRI (DNF).....................................................(Manor GP).........................MR04/01

Formula 1® FOM.
2015 G-P of Australia, Melbourne, 15/03/2015.
Oh well, thats it! No point in watching the race then. now , can you tell me this weeks lotto numbers please?

bdr529

gilgen wrote: Oh well, thats it! No point in watching the race then. now , can you tell me this weeks lotto numbers please?
:lol: =D>
What are you going to do now that it's " Official "

f1316
f1316

J0rd4n wrote:On the earlier subject of a possibility of Mercedes's tyre problems returning...
This team has had since 2010 a very bad reputation in how used tires. In 2013 we had a car that was able to winning qualification, we realized but painful shortcomings in endurance tires, " admits Lowe.

"Do this car so we put a lot more effort. When I came here last year, so incredibly impressed me, to what extent do the investing and understand the tires. The team had in the years 2010 - 2012 the misfortune to DNA car tires simply did not fit.

Thanks to this, but the team came up with a much better research and development, with a much better understanding than other teams, and during 2014 a weakness transformed into advantage. In season 2014 we were able to use the tires probably the best in the pit lane, in terms of both performance and also their stamina. "

Mercedes has acquired good knowledge of how the new Pirelli tires work. "It's not so obvious. Cars, and various aspects of the car can be good or bad according luck. There are cars that have won championships, the people, the people around them and jiggled pretend to know everything, but in fact benefited from things around, which did not really understand. They often revolved around the tires.

These cars are so many parameters and thus little opportunity to test them, so many of these parameters are transferred from one year to another. They become part of the DNA of the car. Tyres can win or lose championships, and so it is already 20 to 30 years.

They are the most complex part of the car. This is because they are just so weird dynamic and difficult to accurately understand. Recently, there was one car that was able to withstand the tires very long time, and sufficed with one stop less than others. When you have but to ask the engineers failed to tell you exactly why it has such a property, " Lowe surprising stories from the paddock.
Paddy Lowe at http://f1news.autoroad.cz/technika/4966 ... tak-dobry/

So as I was saying, it's nothing to do with Pirelli and the conservative compound. Mercedes simply did their homework, because they knew they wouldn't dominant otherwise. So I can think you can just about cross this off the reasons why Mercedes might not win this grand prix.

Slightly off topic but the fact that Mercedes knew how to fix the problems from their 2013 car gives me great hope for the future. They had the fastest car in 2013 for a large part of the year with the V8s. If they ever do loose their engine advantage, they should still be able to find a margin somewhere. Their aerodynamics are excellent if not the best regardless of what people keep saying.
I think you can be sure that based on last year they think that all the research they undoubtedly did paid off.

But no, I don't agree that this definitively means they have - it's still also possible that the extreme change of regulations last year solved the problem for them, lending the impression they have solved it as a result of their research.

They admit that the tyres are weird things and that engineers are sometimes unable to explain why tyre usage is good or bad- the same may still be true of Mercedes despite the fact they think they've solved.

It's likely they're very well prepared but I still don't think we've seen enough running in representative conditions to be sure.

dans79

f1316 wrote:
I think you can be sure that based on last year they think that all the research they undoubtedly did paid off.

But no, I don't agree that this definitively means they have - it's still also possible that the extreme change of regulations last year solved the problem for them, lending the impression they have solved it as a result of their research.

They admit that the tyres are weird things and that engineers are sometimes unable to explain why tyre usage is good or bad- the same may still be true of Mercedes despite the fact they think they've solved.

It's likely they're very well prepared but I still don't think we've seen enough running in representative conditions to be sure.
They didn't have any issues last year, and this years tires are even more forgiving than last years tires, so what makes you think they are going to have a problem?
201 105 104 9 9 7

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

dans79 wrote:this years tires are even more forgiving than last years tires
How's that?

dans79

BanMeToo wrote:
dans79 wrote:this years tires are even more forgiving than last years tires
How's that?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117906
The entire range features a new rear construction, estimated by Pirelli as two-to-three tenths a lap faster than the 2014 rubber.

The overriding aim, though, was to better distribute heat across the entire tread and reduce blistering and graining in the second year of the new power unit formula.
"Last year's product was designed based on the simulations we received from the teams. Last year we were able to collect a lot of information, realised we had peak temperature in some areas of the tread and we decided to develop a new construction in order to have a better temperature distribution that means, as a consequence, better tyre wear.
201 105 104 9 9 7

djos

FrukostScones wrote:
Yes possible, but not the way you mean it.

:D
"In downforce we trust"

mikeerfol

djos wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Yeah, it will be a wonder if they can complete one lap! :P

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

mikeerfol wrote:
djos wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Yeah, it will be a wonder if they can complete one lap! :P
some facts

Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2015

Mclaren - Honda, 1751 km

Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2014

Red Bull - Renault, 1705 km.

Jerez 2015

McLaren (79 laps)

Jerez 2014

Red Bull-Renault (21 laps)

2014 RedBull WCC result: 2nd. RedBull WDC: 3rd & 5th.

news article on Red Bull 2014's Jerez Test issues

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/01/r ... ites-back/

some comment highlights:
January 30, 2014 at 11:48 am

Haha, “we are going to be fixing something which maybe would have prevented us from finishing in Melbourne”

You wouldn’t even make it to the starting grid.
January 30, 2014 at 12:04 pm

At what point do RBR panic James? How’s the look in their eyes? I imagine after day one, it was nothing, day 2 “alert but not alarmed”…day 3 after 3 hours now and nothing ” code red?”. I’ll bet Mark Webber has a wry smile on his face back home .

January 31, 2014 at 8:09 am

Renault-powered cars will not be able to compete effectively in OZ.
2014 Melbourne Results

Qualifying

POS. 2 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault

Race

Ricciardo originally finished second but was excluded after his car was found to have exceeded the maximum permitted fuel flow rate

2014 Malaysia Results

Qualifying

POS. 2 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault

Race

POS. 3 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault

you guys really should get the head of of the dark place the sun don't shine. All this Mclaren negativity and we have RedBull as proof to show just how bleak things can look at first and then see totally different results when the flag drops.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 11 Mar 2015, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mikeerfol

Ofcourse, until the green light for FP1 is on we can speculate, speculate, speculate. But it's a long wait until Friday :D