Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

Looks like split intercoolers and radiators, one each, in each sidepod.

The rear wing looks to have a lower AoA like it did last year.
Honda!

gandharva

thedutchguy wrote:
pastaracing wrote:Is this a proof of using some kind of f-duct ??
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 97c8a2.jpg
It's more likely hydraulics for the DRS activation system.
Could also be some sort of Pressure Relief Valve.

Here is a very basic one:

Imho there is no need for such a _huge_ drs hydraulic tube unless you wanted to shoot a monkey sitting on the flap up to the moon. :D Williams or Mercedes don't have such a tube at all, let alone such monster.

frosty125
frosty125

dren wrote:Looks like split intercoolers and radiators, one each, in each sidepod.

The rear wing looks to have a lower AoA like it did last year.
I agree split intercooler 1 each side pod at the bottom quite long pipes.

ringo

It's not hydraulics, those tubes are too thin. Maybe be relief as said, or some kind of cooling hose or something.

The car is packaged beautifully, much more refined than last year's. It seems there are two intercoolers, one per cylinder bank. This should make for better engine response. The coolers are also further from the exhaust this year, which is also an improvement.
For Sure!!

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

From AMUS- Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Blackout

ringo wrote:It's not hydraulics, those tubes are too thin. Maybe be relief as said, or some kind of cooling hose or something.

The car is packaged beautifully
?
The packaging is very classic. Unlike the 2014 cqr. Did you see how the RB10 was packaged ?
much more refined than last year's
I disagree. The rads and intercoolers are smaller. The different airboxes look more compact. But like as said above...
This doesnt look like a refinement. This is a step back in many areas. The STR and Caterham had very similar packaging.
It seems there are two intercoolers, one per cylinder bank
Exactly like last year.
The coolers are also further from the exhaust this year, which is also an improvement.
Disagree. The RB10 had its intercoolers nicely separated from the exhausts by its sidepod air tunnel. The intercoolers were also very close to the turbo, closer than now it seems. And the intercoolers were fairly close to both the turbo and the intake manifold.
This year the intercoolers seem to be placed further from the turbo. Look how long the compressor-intercooler pipe is. And the intercooler sits just near the exhausts now. The RB10 was packaged way more aggressively.
Well, this car might be just a transition car... maybe a B-version is coming in Europe as Marco hints to it...

PlatinumZealot

I think its hydraulics.. Lines don't have to be thick if the pipe diameter is small enough.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

ringo

Blackout wrote:
ringo wrote:It's not hydraulics, those tubes are too thin. Maybe be relief as said, or some kind of cooling hose or something.

The car is packaged beautifully
?
The packaging is very classic. Unlike the 2014 cqr. Did you see how the RB10 was packaged ?
much more refined than last year's
I disagree. The rads and intercoolers are smaller. The different airboxes look more compact. But like as said above...
This doesnt look like a refinement. This is a step back in many areas. The STR and Caterham had very similar packaging.
It seems there are two intercoolers, one per cylinder bank
Exactly like last year.
The coolers are also further from the exhaust this year, which is also an improvement.
Disagree. The RB10 had its intercoolers nicely separated from the exhausts by its sidepod air tunnel. The intercoolers were also very close to the turbo, closer than now it seems. And the intercoolers were fairly close to both the turbo and the intake manifold.
This year the intercoolers seem to be placed further from the turbo. Look how long the compressor-intercooler pipe is. And the intercooler sits just near the exhausts now. The RB10 was packaged way more aggressively.
Well, this car might be just a transition car... maybe a B-version is coming in Europe as Marco hints to it...
Post your pictures then. I can't see what you are saying.
For Sure!!

Blackout

2014 RB10

Imagine if this was the actual intercooler (water-air) :mrgreen:
Much closer to turbo, much closer to engine, smaller sidepods etc etc
Ferrari and Mercedes arent crazy nor dumb...

gandharva

RB11 packaging is for sure an improvement to RB10.

- much smaller cooling inlets
- much smaller sidepods (i'd say nearly 10 cm each side if you consider the top view comparison pics floating around)
- no huge air-to-air intercooler in the back of the car -> better weight distribution and more space for better (tubular) exhaust
- exhaust moved further away from coolers (not sure how you come to the conclusion RB10 had it nicely separated... well if 2-3 cm is nicely separeted you are right ;) )

I'm also baffled by your STR comparison. STR9 hat an additional cooler mounted above the others. Can you show me that one on RB11?

PlatinumZealot

The exhausts were a nice little hot-plate for preheating the air to that cooler.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Blackout

gandharva wrote: I'm also baffled by your STR comparison. STR9 hat an additional cooler mounted above the others. Can you show me that one on RB11?
I'm only talking about the sidepod coolers, especially their angle and layout...
exhaust moved further away from coolers (not sure how you come to the conclusion RB10 had it nicely separated... well if 2-3 cm is nicely separeted you are right ;) )
Look closer. Basically the RB11 exhaust and intercooler are in the same room with no separations but the heat chieldings. And the distance betaeen them is tiny. While the RB10 exhausts and intercooler aere basically in two different rooms and had heat chieldings, the sidepod tunnel and the bodywork to separate them.

CjC
CjC

Check out the leading edge of that rear wing end plate!
Nice.
Just a fan's point of view

Hail22

Thursday 12/03/2015 RB11:

The rear air inlet packaging has changed quite a bit since the RB10 iteration.

Recent tweet by James Allen that Red Bull have just cleared their new short nose:
https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/stat ... 2667195392 Friday 13/03/2015 Red Bull RB11 FP1

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

lio007

AMuS: