2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

giantfan10 wrote:not looking good for Red Bull at all based on these quotes from Marko and Horner at f1today.net
Marko:"We are promised again and again 'Next time it will be better, the test results are encouraging'. But if you have an engine failure after 50 kilometres, that is incomprehensible,"
With all the engines, driveability is significantly worse than in testing. We wanted an improvement and we have taken a step back," he said. "The gap to the top now is frightening,"
Horner: "The actual power is the same as we had in Abu Dhabi last year,"

They were according to Lotus 85 Hp down last year. If Merc has gained 50 hp and Ferrari 80 and Renault are at Status Quo....

Juzh

Just renault things... nothing to see here, move along

Fernando

turbof1 wrote:Last year they only had 0.5 s on the third car (Alonso in the Ferrari).

Seems their advantage has grown. However last year in qualifying the difference was less then a tenth. We'll see how it evolves.
Agree, but hard to compare, based on FP1 2014 Merc would have qained huge this year.
It is a shame it was wet last year in Quali, a comparison would have been nice, but is hard to make, based on non-wet weather. (http://www.weer.nl/wereldweer/actueel-e ... ndaag.html)

Anyway, my hopes are on Bottas and Felipe, with Bottas saying:
It's only Friday so we don't really have any reason to get 100% out of the car yet. Like last year we are just doing our programme on Friday.
Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/stor ... vBjh6qK.99

gray41

Impressive stuff from Ferrari even if they are "lighter" on fuel, could see a fight of the fins for the last podium spot.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Chene_Mostert

gray41 wrote:Impressive stuff from Ferrari even if they are "lighter" on fuel, could see a fight of the fins for the last podium spot.
You would probably find that Ferrari was fueled quite heavy, most likely the heaviest of all. They were simulating start of race conditions, running half tanks would make no sense.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

FrukostScones

Chene_Mostert wrote:
gray41 wrote:Impressive stuff from Ferrari even if they are "lighter" on fuel, could see a fight of the fins for the last podium spot.
You would probably find that Ferrari was fueled quite heavy, most likely the heaviest of all. They were simulating start of race conditions, running half tanks would make no sense.
VET/RAI definitly not on full tanks in FP2 on their long stint, much too fast for that
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

radosav
radosav

WWhat was mclaren top speed ?

Chene_Mostert

7/8th tanks then, but definitely not "light" long run pace would be too slow if they were running half. From testing to now we have not seen low fuel runs from Ferrari yet. They are going to upset the apple cart...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

gray41

Chene_Mostert wrote:7/8th tanks then, but definitely not "light" long run pace would be too slow if they were running half. From testing to now we have not seen low fuel runs from Ferrari yet. They are going to upset the apple cart...
The reason I put lighter in quotes was because it might be really light or not light at all. But if I had to guess they were lighter than both Mercedes and Williams going on past experience. Hence me guessing it could be a good battle between Kimi and vale, who knows Ferrari could be a clear 3rd best car with no chance of the podium.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

dren

Chene_Mostert wrote:7/8th tanks then, but definitely not "light" long run pace would be too slow if they were running half. From testing to now we have not seen low fuel runs from Ferrari yet. They are going to upset the apple cart...
Historically Ferrari run lighter in practice sessions. In the past, Mercedes and Williams usually filled up and did their plan. I expect Willaims to be nipping at Mercedes, with Ferrari somewhere in the hunt for 3rd. Don't get your hopes up too much.
Honda!

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote: are you serious? the fact that vettel is on the slower tire doesnt matter in your "analysis"?
You are a little bit late. I have already said that I thought they were running with the same tyre.

RB seems to be putting Renault under a great pressure with those declarations. I am sure that Renault is not happy at all with this attitude, you know, it is always better to solve your "family" problems at home.

Vasconia

dren wrote:
Historically Ferrari run lighter in practice sessions. In the past, Mercedes and Williams usually filled up and did their plan. I expect Willaims to be nipping at Mercedes, with Ferrari somewhere in the hunt for 3rd. Don't get your hopes up too much.
I dont understand this, Ferrari is not a team who needs to do this, and running lighter than the other teams doesnt give them the opportunity to check out the real pace with full tanks. Moreover, they dont hide any potential and their fans think that they are in a better position than they really are.

I know that traditionally they have done it, but its difficult for me to see the reasons behind this.

Chene_Mostert

dren wrote:
Historically Williams is a midfield team and Mercedes suffers with severe tire degradation... :?

dren

Vasconia wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: are you serious? the fact that vettel is on the slower tire doesnt matter in your "analysis"?
You are a little bit late. I have already said that I thought they were running with the same tyre.

RB seems to be putting Renault under a great pressure with those declarations. I am sure that Renault is not happy at all with this attitude, you know, it is always better to solve your "family" problems at home.
I think Renault will be happy to get out of the Red Bull 'marriage' and buyout a team again. Probably the Lotus or Toro Rosso.
Honda!

turbof1

@Chene: The difference is that Mercedes and Williams disproved that last year. Ferrari has not yet proven the contrary.

For the record, I'm not going to make comments on fuel load, whether they are running 0.02 litres or 2000 litres. That's everybody's guess. We can only assume they'll probably, I said probably, be running 100 kg on Sunday, and that everybody is using free practice according to that.
#AeroFrodo