2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Did anyone catch how much Hamilton improved in sector 2 on his final lap before he pitted? He was 2 tenths up in sector 1 on his best, but how much in sector 2? If another 2 tenths for example then he has huge potential of a big lap.

gray41

Did Rosberg have an issue on his lap, just I don't remember seeing one?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Ninners
Ninners

tranquility2k4 wrote:Did anyone catch how much Hamilton improved in sector 2 on his final lap before he pitted? He was 2 tenths up in sector 1 on his best, but how much in sector 2? If another 2 tenths for example then he has huge potential of a big lap.
He was 0.173 up after s1 and gained another 0.009 in s2 before pitting.

Moose
Moose

tranquility2k4 wrote:Did anyone catch how much Hamilton improved in sector 2 on his final lap before he pitted? He was 2 tenths up in sector 1 on his best, but how much in sector 2? If another 2 tenths for example then he has huge potential of a big lap.
I didn't see the time, but the Sky commentators said he was "continuing to fly in sector 2", so it sounds like it was a purple too.

Sevach
Sevach

gray41 wrote:Did Rosberg have an issue on his lap, just I don't remember seeing one?
Seemed like a clean lap... but obviously something funky was going on.

Strange how lots of drivers went slower today.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

gray41 wrote:Did Rosberg have an issue on his lap, just I don't remember seeing one?
Both Mercs looked like they were having problems in various parts of the track, Lewis made the same mistake on the same part of the track twice. They changed the torsion bar (I think) and some other things on Lewis's car before he went out and got his quick lap in.
Rosberg was unhappy about something from the brief shots shown near the end of FP3 in the Merc garage.

Moose
Moose

Both cars were struggling under breaking for turn 6.

atanatizante

Yeap, he was 2 tenths up in S2 ...

But what`s interesting to see is their speed traps :
Driver / S1 / S2 / Finish line / Speed trap
Ham / 279 / 285 / 299 /(they didn`t show us on the F1App, but presumable 317)
Vet / 283 / 292 / 306 / 323 !!!
Ros / 280 / 284 / 296 /presumable 314 !!!
and that was the same story in FP1 and FP2 ...

So detuned engine mode, higher fuel load or maybe RB 2009-2013 tactics with a highest DF setup after all ?

On other part it`s unbelievable what they are doing with the F1 App, and I mean with the Premium feature, with no showing important facts like speed trap on some drivers (why is that? maybe the teams has this option not to make them public?) ...
And another one is how many laps they did with a particular tyre ...
Shame mr.E, shame on you!
And even on fia.com site they don`t provide us speed traps and other stuff ...
That`s why I ask you guys : what shall we do in order to get that info, sell our soul?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Moose wrote:Both cars were struggling under breaking for turn 6.
I think it was turn 9 ...
Jesus

Sevach
Sevach

atanatizante wrote:

So detuned engine mode, higher fuel load or maybe RB 2009-2013 tactics with a highest DF setup after all ?

On other part it`s unbelievable what they are doing with the F1 App, and I mean with the Premium feature, with no showing important facts like speed trap on some drivers (why is that? maybe the teams has this option not to make them public?) ...
That`s why I ask you guys : what shall we do in order to get that info, sell our soul?
Mercedes is draggy apparently, they went for a bigger DRS flap which in the times of DRS everywhere ment losing big time on the straights, and Ferrari has a proper engine this time.
Of course that doesn't matter because the downforce is more than making up for it.

Seems like a good choice imo, by the rules the cars have less drag and more power than the V8s (DRS opening is also bigger).

Chene_Mostert

atanatizante wrote:

Why is Mercedes running detuned engine mode? are they having reliability problems?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

atanatizante

Chene_Mostert wrote: ...
Why is Mercedes running detuned engine mode? are they having reliability problems?
Ok, you know what I mean, maybe another engine mode but definitely not at max. power :)

On FP3 both Nico and Lewis did a warm up lap in their qualy sim lap befor they actually went for the hot lap ... what does it mean?
And in total they went for a 6 lap stint, therefore with a max. power engine mode could we see a pole time with a low 1`26'' ?
Jesus

Moose
Moose

atanatizante wrote:
Ok, you know what I mean, maybe another engine mode but definitely not at max. power :)

On FP3 both Nico and Lewis did a warm up lap in their qualy sim lap befor they actually went for the hot lap ... what does it mean?
And in total they went for a 6 lap stint, therefore with a max. power engine mode could we see a pole time with a low 1`26'' ?
Yeh, somewhere around a 1:26.0 sounds likely to me as pole.

GPR-A duplicate2

atanatizante wrote:

I doubt they would do it. Not that they cannot, but is there a need for them to go to the max? They are going to be JUST ahead of the competition.

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

I doubt they would do it. Not that they cannot, but is there a need for them to go to the max? They are going to be JUST ahead of the competition.
for sure there is a reason, you don't want to give your opponents a definitive target.
201 105 104 9 9 7