2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Lasse-E wrote: And when asked about the time frame for recovery on the engine performance, he was more straightforward than any thing I have heard from Mclaren/Honda so far, simply replying: I don't think that it will happen this year.
Oh boy, MCL has been my no1 for over 30 years, but this is causing me heardaches. Luckilly I have some drivers in other teams that I fan of or I think I would have taken a F1 sabatical :?

George-Jung
George-Jung

iotar__ wrote:- Massa faster than Bottas/Vettel/Raikkonen. I don't think it's possible because he's not the same after incident, has no champion's gene and no hype. As expected it is pretty funny and shame on the other three.

- Lotus slower than Toro Rosso and one second behind Williams - perfect prediction, I don't know how they plan to close such gap.
- boring one stopper if it's dry, classic old school pseudo racing, what did they expect??
- did boy-genius' Senna reputation suffer? No "he's only 17 and to be there at such...yadda, yadda " ;-) no result will change it, only good news marketing
- Sauber 2,7 behind, those saying 1,3 was way too close were right, even if drivers are responsible for large chunk of it
Just wait for raceday.. Before you start about Verstappen..this boy is a legend in the making, mark my words!

henra
henra

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqY1WqRH65Q#t=59
Jeez, i can't remember the last time i've seen Ron Dennis like that
What struck me is that he was talking exclusively about the engine regarding why they were so slow. That might not sit well with Honda. Not a single word about the Chassis. To lose 6s purely due to the engine probably requires a lack of +/- 200HP. Do we really assume the Honda engine is so weak? Or might the Chassis compound to the Problems?

Edit: Regarding Merc: Absolute kudos to them! 1,3s. And that after all this talk of diminishing Returns.
4s faster than last year despite slightly unfavourable Aero Regulation Change (lowered nose).
Amazing.
And somewhat sad.
Looks like a lost season with a Lewis Hamilton that has been able to correct his only slight weakness of last year (one lap pace in Q). I hope at least Nico can catch up again otherwise this is looking to be a boring season.
Last edited by henra on 14 Mar 2015, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

e30ernest
e30ernest

henra wrote:What struck me is that he was talking exclusively about the engine regarding why they were so slow. That might not sit well with Honda. Not a single word about the Chassis. To lose 6s purely due to the engine probably requires a lack of +/- 200HP. Do we really assume the Honda engine is so weak? Or might the Chassis compound to the Problems?
Well it's not only a problem of lack of horsepower, how power is delivered is very important too. The rear brakes of these cars also rely heavily on the ERS so if that doesn't work properly, you've got issues in braking too.

henra
henra

e30ernest wrote: Well it's not only a problem of lack of horsepower, how power is delivered is very important too.
OK, fair enough!
Lacking Driveability of the engine might indeed kill quite some performance.

jrionegro
jrionegro

SectorOne

the Mercedes looks so good in the high speed corners it´s insane. Front end just sticks and the rear end just deals with it.

2012 pole - 24.922
2015 pole - 26.327

They are not that far off the V8 days now, but we´ll have to see a couple more dry races to get a better picture.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Vasconia

SectorOne wrote:the Mercedes looks so good in the high speed corners it´s insane. Front end just sticks and the rear end just deals with it.

2012 pole - 24.922
2015 pole - 26.327

They are not that far off the V8 days now, but we´ll have to see a couple more dry races to get a better picture.
Those engines have made an impressive improvement in only one season. =D>

atanatizante

Lewis was shifting brake balance at least 6 times per lap (and before turn 11 even twice!) and not to mention that he needs to see that value every time ... btw. this is between 52 and 57 towards front or rear?
And as some old dude said a couple of years ago, these days drivers are called playstation generation :)

On another note, Lewis was saying on Sky interview that he is quite impressed by the Rosberg`s increased determination, practically doing twice the amount of work in the simulator, on the test track and so on, and also with his physical training in which he is trying to optimize his breathing into high speed turn ...
And last but not least, Lewis saying that Nico is more into his data than before and even trying to mimic what he was doing on the track ... paranoia maybe?
Those above coupled with knowing Lewis`s race strategy and bearing in mind his FP2 race sim run, all together are saying that this year Nico will just be a very hard nut to crack ... it`s kinda now or never this year for him, isn`t it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Shakeman

henra wrote:
What struck me is that he was talking exclusively about the engine regarding why they were so slow. That might not sit well with Honda. Not a single word about the Chassis. To lose 6s purely due to the engine probably requires a lack of +/- 200HP. Do we really assume the Honda engine is so weak? Or might the Chassis compound to the Problems?

Edit: Regarding Merc: Absolute kudos to them! 1,3s. And that after all this talk of diminishing Returns.
4s faster than last year despite slightly unfavourable Aero Regulation Change (lowered nose).
Amazing.
And somewhat sad.
Looks like a lost season with a Lewis Hamilton that has been able to correct his only slight weakness of last year (one lap pace in Q). I hope at least Nico can catch up again otherwise this is looking to be a boring season.
Ron was crestfallen but managed to be more dignified about his engine supplier than Horner was last year.

It's impossible for observers to know if it's the engine or the chassis is too extreme for the engine or poor drivability, or poor down force but with such a gap to the front it looks like ALL of the above.

I think Lewis has learnt a big lesson from last year and that's to keep his powder dry until qualifying and limit the amount of data Nico has to work with until qualifying. It'll be interesting to see if he tracks Ros in FPs then puts the hammer down in Qs in future races.

Rosberg hinted that he thought he was better on the softer tyre and if it was cooler tomorrow he might have an advantage.

Vasconia

Lasse-E wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqY1WqRH65Q#t=59
Jeez, i can't remember the last time i've seen Ron Dennis like that
So the strategy is: try not to destroy the engine. It's not racing, it's still testing, and it smells like it's still testing what should have been tested in the first pre-season test. This won't be a long season, it's starting to feel like it will be a lost season.
Edit: Added Link

K-Mag, seemed surprisingly upbeat and confident about his own performance when interviewed by Danish TV3 Sport after qualifying, Saying that he would have been faster then Button, if he hadn't had extra problems with the engine on his last run in Q3.
And when asked about the time frame for recovery on the engine performance, he was more straightforward than any thing I have heard from Mclaren/Honda so far, simply replying: I don't think that it will happen this year.

Don't know if this will be available outside Denmark, and it is all so in Danish.
http://www.tv3sport.dk/motorsport/nyhed ... nd-button/
Is this mentioned in the video? I can see it. I understand some parts of the text but I havent seen where he says that they will not recover during this season. Anyway, its good to know the reality, por Alonso and Button, this season will be terrible for them and we all know how Alonso reacts when the situation is so bad.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

iotar__ wrote:- Massa faster than Bottas/Vettel/Raikkonen. I don't think it's possible because he's not the same after incident, has no champion's gene and no hype. As expected it is pretty funny and shame on the other three.
Shame on Vettel & Raikonnen for not having a Merc engine in their car? :lol:

f1316
f1316

So from a Ferrari-centric perspective, I believe they have closed the gap to Mercedes . In the first dry quali of 2014 the top Ferrari was 1.8 off the pace and the fact Seb didn't improve between q2 and 3, the fact that he's been significantly clear of Kimi all weekend except q3, plus his reaction, makes me believe a completely hooked up lap would be less than 1.3 off.

Still a big gap, but the only other truly works team have actually made some inroads in my opinion, not to mention that they still have more tokens to use than Mercedes.

atanatizante

Sorry guys, I was forced to delete those data due to FOM`s rights : http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... terms.html
Nevertheless, some interesting speed traps to analyze:

Mercedes: Lewis 317, Nico 315
Williams : Bottas 329, Massa 327
Ferrari : Vettel 327, Raikk 325
FI : Perez 325 and probably the same for Hulk
Sauber: Nasr 321, Ericss 314 but I saw both doing 325 ...
RB : Ricci 315 and probably the same for Kyvi boy
Hard to tell, but according to the third screenshot
TR: Sai maybe 308 and Ves 309
Macca : Button maybe 308 and Mag 306
Last edited by atanatizante on 14 Mar 2015, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

MercedesAMGSpy

Shakeman wrote:
henra wrote:

Amazing.
And somewhat sad.
Ron was crestfallen but managed to be more dignified about his engine supplier than Horner was last year.

It's impossible for observers to know if it's the engine or the chassis is too extreme for the engine or poor drivability, or poor down force but with such a gap to the front it looks like ALL of the above.

I think Lewis has learnt a big lesson from last year and that's to keep his powder dry until qualifying and limit the amount of data Nico has to work with until qualifying. It'll be interesting to see if he tracks Ros in FPs then puts the hammer down in Qs in future races.

Rosberg hinted that he thought he was better on the softer tyre and if it was cooler tomorrow he might have an advantage.
Agreed, Lewis went in undercover mode in FP.