2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Chene_Mostert wrote:I wonder if Massa will be allowed to challenge the two Merc's should the opportunity present itself?
Nope, just allowed to take pole positions it seems.....................................
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Vasconia

Lasse-E wrote:
Yes it is in the video. Did not read the text before now but there they do not mention it instead they focus on the part where he speaks about his pace relative to Button.
Tak. I wanted to say that I cant see the video, it s*cks when there are geographical restrictions.

SparkyAMG

Talks of Lewis overcoming his qualifying woes are premature in my opinion.

He has a history or being able to adapt and get the best out of new conditions quickly, ie, a new car, new circuit etc, and as such has probably gotten used to the W06 that bit quicker.

Nico had a noticeably bad day, he wasn't comfortable in the car - or at least not as comfortable as Lewis - and therefore just couldn't keep up with a very very good pole lap.

I'm a massive Hamilton fan, but I'm not fickle enough to believe that's it. After 5 races last year Hamilton was 4-1 up in qualifying.He then got dominated 11-3 the rest of the year.

Vasconia

SectorOne wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:I wonder if Massa will be allowed to challenge the two Merc's should the opportunity present itself?
Nope, just allowed to take pole positions it seems.....................................
A super start by Massa could give us some emotion, at least until the first stop. Specially because Williams is very fast and the Mercedes have not a great top-speed. [-o<

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
I confess, I didnt watch qualifying, but every source I can find says he qualified 3rd, 1.4 seconds off pole?..

atanatizante

SparkyAMG wrote:Talks of Lewis overcoming his qualifying woes are premature in my opinion.

He has a history or being able to adapt and get the best out of new conditions quickly, ie, a new car, new circuit etc, and as such has probably gotten used to the W06 that bit quicker.

Nico had a noticeably bad day, he wasn't comfortable in the car - or at least not as comfortable as Lewis - and therefore just couldn't keep up with a very very good pole lap.

I'm a massive Hamilton fan, but I'm not fickle enough to believe that's it. After 5 races last year Hamilton was 4-1 up in qualifying.He then got dominated 11-3 the rest of the year.
My "fear" (if I could say so :) ) is that Nico, bearing in mind the second part of year and Lewis`s race aproach, is now 100% setting his car towards the race ... and FP2 race sim run is the proof of that ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

SilverArrow10

SparkyAMG wrote:Talks of Lewis overcoming his qualifying woes are premature in my opinion.

Putting the qualy stats like that for a Hamilton fan is painful to read.......
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Juzh

tranquility2k4 wrote: Remember though that in 2011 - 2012 they had free use of DRS in qualifying (in any corner), which may equate to 8 tenths per lap or so. They also had super EBD with off-throttle in 2010 - 2011 (double-diffuser in 2010), still reduced EBD in 2012. Then they had the beam wing, and wider front-wings for more front downforce. You then have to consider that these new cars are much heavier - I believe about 1.5 - 2 secs per lap slower due to weight compared with 2013. They tyres have been made more conservative and slower to cope with the torque of these new engines.

If you consider all of this it's pretty remarkable, the times they're doing. Imagine however a car with the current V6 (Merc) engine, with a double diffuser, exhaust blown diffuser, off-throttle mappings, beam wing, and free use of DRS in qualifying. That would be a true beast!

Also what's a little surprising is that normally you would expect the field to get tighter after the 1st year of new regulations - what has actually happened is much bigger gaps. Large gap from Merc -> Williams/Ferrari -> RB/Torro Rosso/Lotus -> rest -> Manor (really?) -> Mclaren...
You can't think of it that way. Otherwise you could slap a V10 in the RB6 and see all records utterly wrecked. You can only take what you have.

Andres125sx

So Mercedes keep his gap with the rest.....

And Hamilton probably won´t suffer as many problems as last seasson...

It looks like 2015 will be as boring as 2011 :(

SectorOne

Jonnycraig wrote:I confess, I didnt watch qualifying, but every source I can find says he qualified 3rd, 1.4 seconds off pole?..
Which he did, but they had a Mercedes engine last year as well remember? Massa took pole.

In reality Williams are free to race whoever they want, they buy an engine, not a fixed position in a Formula 1 Championship that is not owned by Mercedes.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

SectorOne wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:I confess, I didnt watch qualifying, but every source I can find says he qualified 3rd, 1.4 seconds off pole?..
Which he did, but they had a Mercedes engine last year as well remember? Massa took pole.

In reality Williams are free to race whoever they want, they buy an engine, not a fixed position in a Formula 1 Championship that is not owned by Mercedes.
Of course they are free to race on the same track with whoever they want, they just can't use the overtake button to attack or defend the Mercs....

atanatizante

tranquility2k4 wrote: ...
You then have to consider that these new cars are much heavier - I believe about 1.5 - 2 secs per lap slower due to weight compared with 2013.
IIRC from 2013 onward they add some 20kilos therefore they add some 5-6 tenths a lap ... although this mass is now considered almost ballast and with a lower positioning in the car they could scrap that time ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Andres125sx

Impressive debut by Sainz btw, he almost beat Ricciardo!

Best debut in qualifying for an spanish driver ever, incidental as it depends on the car, but that´s the same for any other F1 record

I don´t get what happens with RBR, Renault this season is the slowest engine for sure appart from Honda, but STR is as fast as RBR...

Oh and what a pity Manor couldn´t solve their problems, Merhi´s debut could evaporate when it was almost a reality

Vasconia

atanatizante wrote:

My "fear" (if I could say so :) ) is that Nico, bearing in mind the second part of year and Lewis`s race aproach, is now 100% setting his car towards the race ... and FP2 race sim run is the proof of that ...
I think this is exactly what Lewis did in the second half of 2014. I hope you´re right because I want to see Nico putting Lewis under some pressure.

f1316
f1316

Sevach wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Sevach wrote:Something very wrong with Nico's S1, since he screwed his banker that's what he deserves, lucky for him he has a supercar.

I think Ferrari edge's Williams despite the fact that Massa is front of them both.
Nah, Williams edging Ferrari. Valteri would be up there on row 2 with Massa if he hadn't caught some grass on the way out of turn 15 and got just a little sideways on the backstraight. Lap was still good enough for 6th though.
The gap between Ferrari/Williams to RBR/STR is also pretty hefty, even a bad lap is enough.

Ferrari had more potential, sector time analysis show that, they just didn't put it together.
http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=re ... s=7437&p=3
That's very interesting, thanks for that.

For all the doom and gloom about Mercedes increasing their gap, the theoretical ultimate lap difference to Ferrari here is 1 sec; as mentioned already, first dry quali of last year saw 1.8 sec gap back to first Ferrari. From that perspective, the progress is a very positive sign for future competitiveness.