2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Chuckjr wrote:WHAT??

Ferrari's race pace tests revealed near zero drop off--less than any in the field.
Because Ferrari always runs lighter then any other team during free practice. Williams and Mercedes always topped to the brim. But we will get the definitive answer tomorrow.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

f300v10
f300v10

mipade wrote:Maybe Symonds thinks the Ferrari engine has almost the same power over one lap with a fully charged ers. But lets wait and see if they can sustain this performance through the race. If I am not mistaken they had problems last year over one lap when the ers was not fully charged out of the box.
Ferrari's problem with sustained power last year was due to an undersized turbine. It could not generate enough power via the MGU-H to give max use of the MGU-K on every lap. All indications are they have rectified that problem this year as they mentioned it during the launch of the SF-15T.

Chuckjr

kooleracer wrote:

Ferrari's race pace tests revealed near zero drop off--less than any in the field.
Because Ferrari always runs lighter then any other team during free practice. Williams and Mercedes always topped to the brim. But we will get the definitive answer tomorrow.
Considering the huge changes at Ferrari top to bottom, I think it's a big assumption to believe their pace is only down to low fuel. Furthermore, the evidence posted in this thread a number of times does not imply that low fuel is the reason, imo.

Whatever the case, we all will know shortly a good idea of the order of race pace for the teams. Cheers.
Watching F1 since 1986.

bdr529

tranquility2k4 wrote:
bdr529 wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote: All I was doing was playing devils advocate in response to someone who outlined how poor Hamilton's qualifying record was against Rosberg last year.
Really because the quote below doesn't look like someone playing devil'a advocate, but more like someone is upset that Rosberg had a better outcome in quilifying then Hamilton last year, why else would you include the quotes from JB + Lauda
tranquility2k4 wrote:If you want to be naive and really believe Rosberg is faster than Lewis then continue to do so. It's like JB said - if Lewis gets his setup right and is happy with the car then no one else may as well bother turning up. It's just last year, he had a lot of bad luck and made lots of little mistakes, pushing too hard, whilst Rosberg was consistent and careful, which worked well
It's a personal opinion, I feel someone would be naive to think Rosberg is faster than Hamilton purely on the overall head-to-head stats of qualifying sessions from 1 season where Hamilton clearly had a lot of bad luck during several sessions and also clearly underperformed during others - more so than in comparison to Rosberg.

Maybe some peoples' issue is that regularly when someone actually states a fairly well informed opinion on this forum - they're automatically accused of being a 'fanboy'. For all you know I don't support Hamilton - I just have an opinion on his speed relative to Rosberg. Why can I not state a preference on this matter without being accused of all this bs?
You can state any preference you want, but when you end your "devil's advocate" statement with "If you want to be naive and really believe Rosberg is faster than Lewis then continue to do so" you stopped playing the devil and now your stating a personal opinion that anyone who thinks other wise is wrong. Which leads me to believe that you were not playing the devil in the first place

devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with for the sake of debate

I'm well of the issues that Hamilton had during qualifying last year, but who's to say that Rosberg didn't have any problems, just because he ended up with the fastest lap and pole position doesn't mean that was the absolute best lap he could've done

Sevach
Sevach

Artur Craft wrote: Some of these numbers are not the same of FIA's data which are:
QUALIFYING - SPEED TRAP
POS DRIVER TEAM KM/H TIME
1 Valtteri Bottas Williams Martini Racing 329.0 17:50:50
2 Felipe Massa Williams Martini Racing 327.6 17:52:31
3 Sebastian Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 327.6 17:59:37
4 Pastor Maldonado Lotus F1 Team 327.5 17:58:50
5 Sergio Perez Sahara Force India F1 Team 325.5 17:09:53
6 Kimi Raikkonen Scuderia Ferrari 325.3 17:51:32
7 Romain Grosjean Lotus F1 Team 325.1 17:59:10
8 Marcus Ericsson Sauber F1 Team 324.7 17:14:15
9 Nico Hulkenberg Sahara Force India F1 Team 324.2 17:35:53
10 Felipe Nasr Sauber F1 Team 323.8 17:39:16
11 Nico Rosberg Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 323.1 17:52:13
12 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 323.0 17:51:41
13 Daniil Kvyat Infiniti Red Bull Racing 319.1 17:39:10
14 Daniel Ricciardo Infiniti Red Bull Racing 318.8 17:14:07
15 Carlos Sainz Jr. Scuderia Toro Rosso 315.9 17:39:26
16 Max Verstappen Scuderia Toro Rosso 314.7 17:14:25
17 Jenson Button McLaren Honda 312.8 17:06:29
18 Kevin Magnussen McLaren Honda 312.5 17:17:45
Looking at top speed at sector lines, i think Mercedes "low" top speed is due to a smaller DRS delta, on S1 and S2 (no DRS) they are faster than Ferrari and quite close to Williams, while on the finish line and the speed trap (DRS active) Ferrari gains on them and Williams "blows them away".

Data from here.
http://macofan.com/en/index.php?page=re ... s=7437&p=5

Ferrari probably still behind some in peak power, but they can mix it up now, shown not only by Ferrari's evolution but by the similar jump from Sauber (Nasr at least).

Regarding harvesting, i thought Ferrari looked good through FP, consecutive laps at a very good pace.

bdr529

tranquility2k4 wrote: For all you know I don't support Hamilton
Your very first post on this forum was about Hamilton, In fact of the 93 post you have 33 of them mention Hamilton , 60 of 93 mention Mercedes and 22 of the 93 mention Rosberg.

Let me play Devil's advocate: you support someone other then the above

The Eye
The Eye

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... ds_V01.pdf

Couldn't understand the data in this document.. Plz somebody explain..

Mansell89
Mansell89

I've had a tiny little flutter on Raikkonen and Vettel to win the race tomorrow. Hamilton complaining about vibrations and Rosberg having all sorts of issues on the penultimate turn.

I remember Kimi going one less pit stop than the field when winning for Lotus a couple of years back and I expect Ferrari to go long on the medium tyres and have a gamble to make sure they jump the Williams in track position.

SectorOne

I don´t see Ferrari being anywhere near Mercedes. 1,4 seconds on full attack doesn´t just disappear come race day.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

The Eye wrote:http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... ds_V01.pdf

They're the maximum speeds per driver for each sector.

f1316
f1316

Mansell89 wrote:I've had a tiny little flutter on Raikkonen and Vettel to win the race tomorrow. Hamilton complaining about vibrations and Rosberg having all sorts of issues on the penultimate turn.

I remember Kimi going one less pit stop than the field when winning for Lotus a couple of years back and I expect Ferrari to go long on the medium tyres and have a gamble to make sure they jump the Williams in track position.
I have a similar feeling that they could do one less stop.

I think ultimate qualifying pace difference is 1 sec without mistakes but that doesn't mean to say difference can't be less (or more) in the race. I don't think mansell is saying Ferrari are likely to win, but with the odds he must have got it seems a decent punt.

Sevach
Sevach

The Eye wrote:http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... ds_V01.pdf

This is the speed they were travelling as they crossed the S1, S2 and finish line.

PlatinumZealot

The James Allison effect....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

CevertF1
CevertF1

I have to say I think we might be in for one very long and boring season. (Unless you're a Lewis fan)

The Mercs seem to be even further in front than last year. I'm going to watch the race but I expect to be sound asleep by lap 5.

FoxHound

Juzh wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
Juzh wrote:Live timing measures bottas at 331 and hamilton at 325 in Q3. Wolf blowing it out of proportions.
"As much as" does not equate to "it is".

But it is interesting that when Mercedes are down on Km/h, you suggest Wolff is "blowing it all out of proportion".
Did you not spend copious amounts of energy and posts trying to force the issue on top speed?

I'm curious as to this change of tack.

Basically Wolff is making a point, a point you seem to want to ignore.
I aint ignoring anything.
He said 10-12, reality is 6 kmh, which is substantial still, but not to the point wolff made it out to be, and that's all there is to it. Answered adequately your biting question?
You are ignoring or are totally oblivious to the "as much as" Wolff spoke of.
Where did Wolff say they were 10kmh down?
When was it measured and when did he say it?
What were the circumstances? Ie, fuel loads and tyre wear/compound etc.

Face it, you don't have a clue as to what where or when he is talking about.
If he was talking about FP speeds and interviewed after FP, how can he be held to task with information we get after qualifying?
JET set