2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

- Mercedes' domination is bad but Ferrari's or Red Bull's was OK? The fact that no Merc/Ferrari/RB-R customer engine team can compete is a problem, yet any talk about cost control is dismissed? It's a fixable design not accident.

- Three years of whining about Pirellis here, Red Bull's propaganda, media's drama, now you have your perfect tyres that last forever like Bridgestones and yet you complain, what did you expect from one-stoppers? Williams gifted one place to Ferrari so something did happen. Choice of compounds mentioned earlier is secondary, choices are limited, they will not touch big difference combination or anything risky, tyres like that were ordered. Ask those who ordered.

- there are two positives: Ferrari/Williams fight and Red Bull. Funny how no amount of test reality could counter brand impact on expectations, slow over one lap, no race sims to speak of, it didn't matter. They were actively advocating destroying other teams through third grade engine support and demands of sole focus and now they dare to complain about the engine? Toro Rosso is fine.

Unc1eM0nty

Massa should have been on the podium, they had track position and good pace only for Williams to mess it up again by bringing him out of the pits into traffic.

Vettel wouldn't have got passed on track, all they had to do was hold their nerve, very poor decision.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Unc1eM0nty wrote:Massa should have been on the podium, they had track position and good pace only for Williams to mess it up again by bringing him out of the pits into traffic.

Vettel wouldn't have got passed on track, all they had to do was hold their nerve, very poor decision.
After Massa pitted vettel went 1 sec faster for 3laps and pitted. If Massa would have stayed out Vettel would have got the undercut and come out ahead of him. Pat Symonds said Ferrari are faster than Williams so they didn't want to give him the undercut. I don't think there was much they could do today to get 3rd position.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

Its not about it being boring because one team dominated, or even because of lack of overtaking. It just seemed so amateurish. McHonda were embarrassing, Williams were Mercs puppets and there was only one of them, Renault have gone backwards and the half chance we had of any interest was taken out by the first lap shunts.

There just werent enough cars to keep me interested either. It now seems more like a really short endurance race, the aim being to see how far you can get, not actually win (unless you are in a Merc).

While it may not be what the FIA/Benie want, its what their actions have created.

Kalsi
Kalsi

iotar__ wrote:- Mercedes' domination is bad but Ferrari's or Red Bull's was OK? The fact that no Merc/Ferrari/RB-R customer engine team can compete is a problem, yet any talk about cost control is dismissed? It's a fixable design not accident.

- Three years of whining about Pirellis here, Red Bull's propaganda, media's drama, now you have your perfect tyres that last forever like Bridgestones and yet you complain, what did you expect from one-stoppers? Williams gifted one place to Ferrari so something did happen. Choice of compounds mentioned earlier is secondary, choices are limited, they will not touch big difference combination or anything risky, tyres like that were ordered. Ask those who ordered.

- there are two positives: Ferrari/Williams fight and Red Bull. Funny how no amount of test reality could counter brand impact on expectations, slow over one lap, no race sims to speak of, it didn't matter. They were actively advocating destroying other teams through third grade engine support and demands of sole focus and now they dare to complain about the engine? Toro Rosso is fine.
Ferrari and RBR dominant years were due to superior design compared to competitors.... Mercedes domination also is due to that fact for sure, but it's ridicolously defended by the regulations, keeping the others from catching up... that's the problem

jericho

So, after a little nap may 2 cents:

The race was not so exciting, but happy it was there again!
-The Mercs are fastes, easy with pace to spare
-Ferrari built a better engine, more HP's and better mileage
-Red Bulls have a massive problem, car and motor.
-Sauber didn't do 'glory runs' in testing. They have genuine racepace.
-Mclaren have a good car, but Honda has work to do.
-Torro Rosso has a nice car, but Renault isn't a good engine to have at this point.
-What the * happenend with Lotus?????????

So, in about 2 weeks we see if Honda and Renault has straightline speed.

turbof1

Kalsi wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- Mercedes' domination is bad but Ferrari's or Red Bull's was OK? The fact that no Merc/Ferrari/RB-R customer engine team can compete is a problem, yet any talk about cost control is dismissed? It's a fixable design not accident.

Ferrari and RBR dominant years were due to superior design compared to competitors.... Mercedes domination also is due to that fact for sure, but it's ridicolously defended by the regulations, keeping the others from catching up... that's the problem
Well, in Renault their case also by simply screwing up the limited possibilities they have. Ferrari is rumored to have decreased the engine advantage at least. Renault actually managed to make their engine less reliable, less powerful and less driveable. That's by no means the fault of the regulations.

Also, the regulations allow room for engine development. During the V8 period that scope wasn't there. You are looking at it in the wrong perspective: the rules don't limit the scope of catching up, they actually increase the scope of extending the advantage.
Not that I'm complaining about this. Imagine the current situation in the V8 era; we would all be raging due Renault not being able at all to close the gap.

The current rules advocate efficiency. Not only efficiency of fuel usage, but also efficiency from extracting as much as performance out of limited development scope that is offered. Again, Ferrari did a very good job on this, Renault managed to screw it up.

Also, some comments from Horner that made frown was that he demands the FIA needs to act, claiming that when RBR dominated the FIA abolished certain concepts that made rbr dominate. But what was banned actually?
-Double diffusers: not a thing that RBR pioneered in. They did not start the 2009 season with it, and in 2010 they compromised on the concept by having pull rod instead of push rod.
-F-duct: a mclaren invention. RBR never got to fully integrate it into their chassis, which was homologated in 2010.
-Double DRS: A mercedes invention, which RBR only took over late in the 2012 season.
-Exhaust Blown Diffusers: RBR, Mclaren and Ferrari all developed this on their own. Granted that RBR was the better one with this.
-Engine mapping to support the former point: Admittingly, a thing RBR had the most progress in. However, in Silverstone 2011 they were partially and temporarily banned. Mclaren was the team actually that was the most disadvantaged by it.
-Wing Flexing: banned since an eternity and tried to work around for the same period. I remember mclaren rear wings falling off due too much flexing in the 2000's.

Looking at that list, FIA never specifically targetted RBR in order to diminish their advantage. So why should they do that now with Mercedes? Loose from the fact the FIA does not decide on it own anymore on such things.
#AeroFrodo

Godius

Too bad that Verstappen had a mechanical failure, I was looking forward to see his race pace on the option tires toward the end of the race.

Mesteño

There are still tokens to develop, and some more for rest of the teams that are not Mercedes. Hopefully they can achieve more performance that Merc and have more fight.

CHT
CHT

Edax wrote:
CHT wrote:Merc has got the power, reliability, fuel economy, a well balance car and a superb driver like Lewis.

Goodbye 2015.
Its early days but even if this was true. Why goodby 2015?

This is a technical sport as well as a driver sport. And it is not simply a sum of the engineering skills, the team skills and the driver skills. When these are aligned it can bring the performance to a different dimension. And the interesting part is that it just happens. There is no management book, or secret formula to make it happen.

And when it happens you can only watch in awe as the competition just gets obliterated.

Perhaps these are not the most competitive years, but certainly among the most memorable.
Under the current technical regulation (or should I say technical restriction that even people like Newey are made redundant) there are very little scopes for team to close in on Merc. We have already seen it in 2014 and now that Merc has got more experience and mileage on their hybrid engine, I am not going to bet on them having as many DNF as in 2015 either. With no freak race safety car or DNF, 2015 will be a stroll in the park for Merc and Hamilton.

Lewis has been kind to keep the gap at just 30sec today, if he went for hammer time, the gap to Vettel could easily go to 60 secs.

MOWOG

I can't believe we all put so much energy and passion into watching such a dismal display. Formula One collectively should be ashamed that they have dragged our beloved sport down to this level. :wtf:

Kudos to the young drivers who made it all at least somewhat interesting. =D>
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

CevertF1
CevertF1

MOWOG wrote:I can't believe we all put so much energy and passion into watching such a dismal display. Formula One collectively should be ashamed that they have dragged our beloved sport down to this level. :wtf:

Agreed, that was farcical and beyond boring. I can't really imagine even Lewis fans found it to be a great race. I'll be staying in bed for the next race, really not worth me getting/staying up for.

Terrible :(

SilverArrow10

CevertF1 wrote:
MOWOG wrote:I can't believe we all put so much energy and passion into watching such a dismal display. Formula One collectively should be ashamed that they have dragged our beloved sport down to this level. :wtf:

Agreed, that was farcical and beyond boring. I can't really imagine even Lewis fans found it to be a great race. I'll be staying in bed for the next race, really not worth me getting/staying up for.

Terrible :(
It wasn't a great race as a Hamilton fan, not at all. But Aus gp's have not been classics in recent times anyway. No need to lose our heads now. There will be better races [-o<
Last edited by SilverArrow10 on 15 Mar 2015, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

SectorOne

It was a terrible race yes but it´s an anomaly of a race with all the stuff that happened.

Kvyat out on warm-up lap
Bottas gets freak accident in Qualifying
Maldonado out in Turn 1
Grosjean runs into engine problems
Verstappen had engine problems
Kimi with wheel problems
Magnussen engine blew up on warm-up
Button 3-4 seconds off the pace in a Mclaren
Manor doesn´t do any session at all

In a normal race you usually see one or two of these examples, not all of them in the same race.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Drpesq
Drpesq

I agree the "spectacle" was not spectacular in Melbourne. Personally I think much of that is down to a lack preparedness by the teams. The limited testing takes a toll. I concede that teams that are better prepared perhaps deserve an advantage, but the downside is that the actual race looks very amateur to the spectators with all the failures and such.

More time is needed to run these cars. Remember Ferrari didn't release their new car in the Schumacher era until the 3rd or 4th round.

Better races ahead!

DRP