2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Fastest race lap of this year was slower than last year's, and the winner's fastest lap was actually slower than the winner's fastest lap last year.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:Fastest race lap of this year was slower than last year's, and the winner's fastest lap was actually slower than the winner's fastest lap last year.
Which is strange given how this year there actually was a race upfront, unlike last year. Merc probably running bots cars as conservative as they possibly can.

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

Now RBR are threatening to quit F1? Good riddance anyone?

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

"The ride with wings from the previous year. Our new chassis is half a second better. The difference is the engine" barked Horner.

If they've only found half a second with their chassis, that isn't very impressive over the entire winter. I'm sure Merc have found much more from what they're saying.

Helmut Marko even includes a retreat from Red Bull no longer: "We are dissatisfied with the way the Formula 1 ruled and guided Therefore thought with us via an exit scenario, if the cost / benefit calculation no longer rises.."

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene holds after the boom suddenly nothing more to change the rules: "Our job is to attack Mercedes and not again to change the rules."

At least Ferrari are now talking sense...

Mesteño

Ferrari are talking sense because they are in "good" position.

BUT, think about a team with the budget of Red Bull and being so uncompetitive... talking about "unfair" is nonsense but I don't think talking bout exit is.

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Moose wrote:I'm glad you lot all agree that F1 that looks like the late 80s/early 90s is boring as hell.

Hopefully we can get over the rose-tinted spectacles view of that era now.
Thank you! This is EXACTLY what 1988 looked like, except there were 5 cars on the lead lap rather than just Prost and Senna. I'm tired of people whining about these races and they turning around and claiming that the MP4/4 was the greatest F1 car ever and the 1988 was the best season of all time with drivers on the ragged edge.

tranquility2k4 wrote:Now RBR are threatening to quit F1? Good riddance anyone?

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

"The ride with wings from the previous year. Our new chassis is half a second better. The difference is the engine" barked Horner.

If they've only found half a second with their chassis, that isn't very impressive over the entire winter. I'm sure Merc have found much more from what they're saying.

Helmut Marko even includes a retreat from Red Bull no longer: "We are dissatisfied with the way the Formula 1 ruled and guided Therefore thought with us via an exit scenario, if the cost / benefit calculation no longer rises.."

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene holds after the boom suddenly nothing more to change the rules: "Our job is to attack Mercedes and not again to change the rules."

At least Ferrari are now talking sense...

Good, maybe Renault will just quit and RBR can buy a Ferrari, Mercedes or Honda PU and be a respective B-Team. Their RB11 chassis isn't anything special and the Toro Rosso cars had better race pace.

Gaz.
Gaz.

It's silly posturing, who on earth threatens to leave a lucrative employment? Where is Marko going to earn the money he is on outside of F1?
Forza Jules

Raleigh
Raleigh

88 was a legendary battle between two of the all time greatest drivers in the sport.

Lewis is of that caliber, but Nico probably not. He's fast certainly, sometimes even the faster of the pair, but I don't see him as capable of outracing Lewis over a season. Last year he was rather flattered by the car and Hamilton's poor luck in the first half of the season to make the championship closer that it would otherwise have been. I don't see anything to suggest he has found that bit extra he needs to be able to win this time, and with Mercedes' bulletproof reliability the championship is thus all but wrapped up in Lewis' favour. Such predictability is dull.

Now if we had Alonso in the 2nd Mercedes...

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I must admit, after seen today's race I do feel the FIA should consider rethinking the restriction of 4 engines for the season. It's going to be near impossible for Renault and Honda to make any sizeable gains this season under the current restrictions.

AlainProst
AlainProst

This GP was one of the most boring GP I've ever seen...

But I don't agree with Christian Horner (and guys of RedBull) who wants rules in order to reduce the gap between his team and Mercedes. During the period 2010-2013, RedBull dominated enormously. I remember the end of 2013 season with 8 consecutive wins...

Mesteño

Yes but engine rules are much more difficult to overcome in case of underperformance than aero ones, and they are waaaay slower to change. So I understand their worries.

It is true too they benefited of engine regulations some years ago...

PlatinumZealot

The real Fromula 1 fans enjoyed the race. The rest are just fanbois.

To me I don't care for what I don't see, and those mercedes were no where in sight so I enjoyed the tussles that were happening behind. There were some good battles, interesting strategies and stories. Those who said the race was boring are just fly by night casuals.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mesteño

PlatinumZealot wrote:The real Fromula 1 fans enjoyed the race. The rest are just fanbois.

To me I don't care for what I don't see, and those mercedes were no where in sight so I enjoyed the tussles that were happening behind. There were some good battles, interesting strategies and stories. Those who said the race was boring are just fly by night casuals.
Now imagine a race with Ricciardo, Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Rosberg, and Vettel fighting for championship.
I don't think it is an unreal scenario.
The real Fromula 1 fans enjoyed the race. The rest are just fanbois.
Nor this is fair.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Formula one is one of the most mismanaged sports of the world, compared to money that is invested. There is many stupids rules since 2014 as the rule of 4 engines by season whereas reliability is much worse than in previous years ; Sanction to the pilots for a mistake of the team during the pitstops ; the limited gas flow rate of 100 kg per hour ; the imbroglio with the engine freeze ; stupids sanction on the grid...

If football was managed as this sport, it would have gone bankrupt long as they !

Chuckjr

Sad that a superb driver like Hamilton has to drive such an insanely dominant car. Why? At the end of the day any true racing driver desires earn driving accolades through their driving talent set and toe to toe fighting. But when you drive a car even Chilton could win a championship in, the talent pool of the driver is impotized by default. I mean how many people look back at Vettels four championships and believe it was his talent which earned those titles? Yea he had to drive it but he has not earned the respect a 4 title driver should carry by any stretch....just look at how much he became disliked and his talent dismissed because of his car. The same thing is happening now with Hamilton.

Certainly Hamilton will win the title again, but honestly everyone knows it's not much of a driving accomplishment, it's really an unapologetic display of untouchable supremacy by Merc, and hats off to them they have earned their place and done a good job.

But like the Red Bull years of dominance the driving title this year again has little to nothing to do with driver talent and I just can't believe that it is satisfying to an incredible racing talent like Hamilton to be in such a position. Certainly if it was his talent that was making the car this dominant that would be a completely different scenario, but his position currently has little to do with driver talent and everything to do with an unbeatable car sitting like Jabba the Hutt on a farcical assurance of very little allowance for in year car development by the competition. Golf clap for Bernie.

So Hats off to Hamilton for choosing to switch to Merc at the very best moment, that was a great decision on his part, but honestly there can't be a lot of driving satisfaction in easily managing a 1.5 to 2 seconds per lap faster car to double digit wins and a multiple back to back titles. Maybe by 2018 they will allow enough development to occur to make a championship competitive, but not much sooner I'd imagine.

Is it really to much to ask for rewarding driver talent, and offering development competition between manufacturers, Bernie?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Moose
Moose

I don't understand why people are asserting that development is too restricted to allow a championship. As far as I can see, the Ferrari engine is pretty much exactly as good as the Mercedes this year. The teams absolutely can develop aero and mechanical grip, which I'm pretty sure are the only two places where Merc has a huge advantage.