2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dren

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

The biggest surprise for me was a Sauber beating a Red Bull, and it was Nasr doing it!

The second surprise was Maldonado crashing, but it not being caused by his own driving.
Honda!

Henne

No big surprises during the race as I yawned further :).

Sainz and Verstappen are close considering that Verstappen was running on Medium's for the most part of the race.

A little hope for McLaren Honda since they've finally got some mileage in. They should aim at some race wins no sooner than the second half of next year. Give them time to understand the engine and to fix those technical issues and they'll be spotted at the front. Changing to the Red/White livery won't make them win any races overnight. So Ron is waiting with that colour scheme ;).

Mercedes is in a league of their own, racing on only 80% of that engine...

dren

Yeah, Mercedes pulled a sizeable gap and managed from that point on.
Honda!

efuloni
efuloni

I can't understand all these people talking about how faster and closer to Merc the Ferraris could be if it was not for the time behind Massa.

Well, Vettel became 3rd before half the race and finished it about 4s ahead of Massa. And Massa returned from the pits about 2s behind him. So, where is all this pace? I see them more or less in the same level.

Just to remember that Massa never had a good race in Australia. Even though he did a decent job yesterday, his best result of the career in Albert Park so far was a 3rd and a couple of 4ths. Acordding to a brazilian journalist (I didn't check, but I think he is right) ,his average grid position before this race was 14th!!!

My point is that Bottas might do better there and that Massa may not have showed Williams true potential in this track. Lets wait for better tracks for both, Williams and Massa, to see where they are, exactly.

Henne

efuloni wrote:I can't understand all these people talking about how faster and closer to Merc the Ferraris could be if it was not for the time behind Massa.

Well, Vettel became 3rd before half the race and finished it about 4s ahead of Massa. And Massa returned from the pits about 2s behind him. So, where is all this pace? I see them more or less in the same level.

Just to remember that Massa never had a good race in Australia. Even though he did a decent job yesterday, his best result of the career in Albert Park so far was a 3rd and a couple of 4ths. Acordding to a brazilian journalist (I didn't check, but I think he is right) ,his average grid position before this race was 14th!!!

My point is that Bottas might do better there and that Massa may not have showed Williams true potential in this track. Lets wait for better tracks for both, Williams and Massa, to see where they are, exactly.

Massa told a reporter that he was driving the wheels of that car... Never got close to the Merc's and Massa is thinking that Wiliams is not racing the same engine as the Mercedes car in front...

mrluke
mrluke

I think Bottas would have beaten Vet, Massa just isn't that good, didnt he get stuck behind the torro rosso?

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
Yes, Ferrari's strongest point for many years now has been high speed corners and straight line speed looks good this year which will be useful given the long straights in Malaysia ( and if stuck behind someone). They also were purple in s1 at Barcelona in testing which is high speed.

s3 was biggest Mercedes stronghold in oz. Variety of different kinds of corners there but I suspect it was in (and coming out of) the last two where they were killing it. It's those slow corners where masses of time can be won and lost and it reminds me of s3 in Barcelona 2013.
Its quite clear how good is the work done by Mercedes. Not only because how powerful the engine is, but specially how good is the integration of the engine in the chasis and how it maximizes its strong points, for example, reaching a great level of downforce and grip in the slow corners.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Frankly, I really didnt find the weekend boring because it proved many of my hypotheses were true about the formula 1 :)

Kimi is still very very good.

Mercedes is so good that it makes Horner cry. (Hypocrisy is so telling with this guy... they were winning championships with bendy wings, engines maps imitating traction control etc... now they don't have a powerful engine and this is the reaction.. I BET if they had Mercedes engine they still couldn't have beaten Mercedes team. )

Financial problems of the teams due to freaking Bernie and bigger teams. If it goes like this we will have 5 teams remaining.

Scandalous Honda return.

What is happening to Alonso. What are they hiding?

Hamilton half a second above Rosberg! I couldnt believe it.

Race could have been much better too. It is just a shame what happened to Kimi and Bottas. There could have been a classic battle between the four drivers of Ferrari and Williams. And this gives great hopes for the remaining of the season.

So overall, a fun weekend, and to a certain extend interesting race.

Vasconia

mrluke wrote:I think Bottas would have beaten Vet, Massa just isn't that good, didnt he get stuck behind the torro rosso?
If I am not wrong it was a RB, and though they were not particulary fast on the straights it is not easy to overtake Ricciardo in Australia.

efuloni
efuloni

Massa 'stuck' behind Ricciardo for less than one lap, I guess.

f1316
f1316

Vasconia wrote:
f1316 wrote:
Yes, Ferrari's strongest point for many years now has been high speed corners and straight line speed looks good this year which will be useful given the long straights in Malaysia ( and if stuck behind someone). They also were purple in s1 at Barcelona in testing which is high speed.

s3 was biggest Mercedes stronghold in oz. Variety of different kinds of corners there but I suspect it was in (and coming out of) the last two where they were killing it. It's those slow corners where masses of time can be won and lost and it reminds me of s3 in Barcelona 2013.
Its quite clear how good is the work done by Mercedes. Not only because how powerful the engine is, but specially how good is the integration of the engine in the chasis and how it maximizes its strong points, for example, reaching a great level of downforce and grip in the slow corners.
Sure. Not entirely sure which part of my post you're responding to though.

My point is that Ferrari were often fastest in s1 even in quali, lost a good chunk in s2 (where Williams were closer) and Mercedes completely annihilated everyone in s3.

That reminds me of when they pulled out half a second on everyone in s3 in Spain 2013, only to a greater extent. I'm sure this car is also mighty in high speed (2013 car was no slouch) but I think they were gaining most of their time in and on the way out of slow corners.

I think Malaysia may be slightly better for the chasers and particularly Ferrari (but quali gap still about 0.7)

atanatizante

zeph wrote: ...
Well, this is what Honda has to say about that:
"I expected in Barcelona much better pace in Australia, but unfortunately we don't have the experience of higher temperatures so we could not [risk] losing the engine in the first race," said Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai.

"Our settings are very conservative for this weekend, so that is the reason why we lose power with the MGU-K and the engine itself.

"The heat problem is not only with the engine, but also the MGU-K, we took that [reduction in] power to survive several races with the one engine."
Simple question : If they had a de-tuned ICE might be possible not to carry 100kg of fuel ?
So let`s say if they run with a 30% de-tuned ICE they must have had only 70kg ?
In that perspective they were at least 1 sec./lap quicker ... so in reality their gap to the others it`s much bigger than 4-5 sec., isn`t it?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Moose
Moose

atanatizante wrote:Simple question : If they had a de-tuned ICE might be possible not to carry 100kg of fuel ?
So let`s say if they run with a 30% de-tuned ICE they must have had only 70kg ?
In that perspective they were at least 1 sec./lap quicker ... so in reality their gap to the others it`s much bigger than 4-5 sec., isn`t it?
It's not the ICE they've detuned though. It's the ERS that's not running at full capacity. Which actually means they're consuming more fuel than they would otherwise.

atanatizante

Henne wrote: ...
Massa is thinking that Wiliams is not racing the same engine as the Mercedes car in front...
Yeah, the grapes are sour, as they said ...
In reality, all the Merc customer has the same engine and they have multiple ways of checking that ...
What is not saying Massa is that there are other things within PU that could make real differences between their HP output, such as an improved fuel formula, Merc team working with Petronas and William with Petrobras ...
In this regard, I was reading last year that an official McLaren said that the Merc team has on average 20-25 more HP due to they was working with Mobil and the latter with Petronas ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Scuderia Nuvolari
Scuderia Nuvolari

Does anyone have a video of the race 0?