2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vary
Vary

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Artur Craft wrote:
The drops on tv ratings are more than alarming, though:
German RTL
Australia GP
2014: 3,12 Millions.
2015: 1,72 M.

Sky Germany
2014: 0,26 M
2015: 0,18 M

Spanish TV
'Fórmula 1' "GP de Australia" (Inicio de temporada): 1.438.000
'Fórmula 1' "GP de Australia": 343.000
You have also to consider that in europe it was early morning, and that this year was also one hour earlier than last year

SectorOne

Meanwhile in USA the viewership has grown quite significantly since 2013.

I might remember this wrong but i think there was an article recently as well that talked specifically about the Australian GP of 2015 also being up on 2014. Can´t find it though...think it was pitpass.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

SectorOne wrote:Meanwhile in USA the viewership has grown quite significantly since 2013.

I might remember this wrong but i think there was an article recently as well that talked specifically about the Australian GP of 2015 also being up on 2014. Can´t find it though...think it was pitpass.
Mainly because the TV coverage is getting better. This year we are getting more practice coverage, as well as more pre and post race coverage.
201 105 104 9 9 7

SectorOne

What was the difference in 2014 compared to 2013? Full season coverage or something else?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

from what I can remember, in 2013 we got p3, qualifying, 30 minutes of pre race, and whatever times was left for post race.

If they want to continue to grow, they need to find better presenters. David Hobbs can never remember anyone's name. I'm surprised he remember his own at times. No Eddie Jordan please, I can't stand him.........
201 105 104 9 9 7

Phil

First they need to air the damn broadcast live. :evil:

I have to say, BBC's broadcast, including the team of Eddie, Coulthard and Jake were a joy to watch for me. Include Brundle too before he moved to Sky. In fact, the broadcast was so good, I even got my sister and mum to watch F1 on a regular basis to the point they've become fans of the sport - imagine that! IMO Eddie might be a special character, but IMO he does his part brilliantly. He asks the right questions and there's heaps of entertainment to satisfy non-F1 fans. In fact, the BBC broadcast was so good, it reminded some of how TopGear is run and does a good job at entertaining.

I miss it.

Not to take anything away from Sky, because they've done a brilliant job too. But they're not on free television, so lost for many people and casual sport fans.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

I cant even being to describe the contempt I have for the BBC coverage, presenters included, so I guess it varies from person to person.

SectorOne

dans79 wrote:from what I can remember, in 2013 we got p3, qualifying, 30 minutes of pre race, and whatever times was left for post race.

If they want to continue to grow, they need to find better presenters. David Hobbs can never remember anyone's name. I'm surprised he remember his own at times. No Eddie Jordan please, I can't stand him.........
Ok, not that big of a difference that i thought, i think most causal fans watch the race only.

Yea i´ve watched American broadcasts sometimes and it made me cringe.
But if you understood Swedish you´d think American broadcasts are on the same level as the golden years of BBC.

I can´t even begin to write down the amount of stupidity those two has done.
One of them even pulled the mic live on air from the other guy because he was saying something stupid.

Gaz.
Gaz.

ChrisM40 wrote:I cant even being to describe the contempt I have for the BBC coverage, presenters included, so I guess it varies from person to person.
My main gripe with the BBC is that they should have relinquished the rights entirely so that C4 could have continued FTA coverage.
Forza Jules

Phillyred
Phillyred

I live in the US and typically prefer to stream Sky Sports F1 coverage.. Just more comprehensive coverage leading up to the race, during, and after. AND, it would appear less commercials. NBCSHD has done a better job lately, but I still prefer Sky despite some of the more annoying personalities. The worst coverage is FOX and the best was SPEED because of Bob Varsha. I really miss Peter Windsor's commentary too.

Andres125sx

motobaleno wrote:it's really interesting to read all these explanations for the drops in tv ratings.
maybe the things are much simpler: you guys writing on these forums are not statistically representative of the average people watching tv...
True, it´s people who don´t care about F1 too much who increase the audience numbers.... or decrease. We watch it no matter how boring/entertaining it is (more or less), but people who don´t care too much about F1 can make a big difference in tv numbers depending on how boring/entertaining it is
motobaleno wrote:simply this people won't look at a race knowing before that a mercedes will win.
Please don't answer to this observation recaling red bull era ora ferrari's one: things are completely diferent now.
No actually it is the same, that´s the reason F1 numbers have been decreasing since 2000 :wink: , when Ferrari started to dominate. TV audience doesn´t change drastically from season to season, like economy, it has some inertia. But numbers don´t lie, they´ve been going down since 2000, with some recovering on 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010, exactly the seasons when there was some uncertainity about the outcome

Only we fans bother to watch a competition you know who will win before hand, but most people get bored watching the same team winning regulary, and since they´re who make audience differences there you have the reason for the drop.

To me the problem is crystal clear, lack of competition ruin the sport

efuloni
efuloni

Refueling really could make things better. But its completely not compatible with the hybrids cars and all this 'kind of green era' F1 is trying to get into.

But what was really annoying those time was that drivers couldn't push 100% in quali. At least now, with the extra tyres on Q3, the ones who are faster are in front of the grid. And, its in quali where we see who is really fast.

You may win a race or two with some big help from the 'luck'. Its enough a rain or some crashes and, voilá, the trophy or a podium may fall right over your lap. Safety cars, errors of the team on pits-stops, miscalculated strategies... So many thing can interfere and make the faster do not win...

But the faster in a quali usually is, indeed, the faster on that day, on that track. Thats why poles are so cheered. Everyone is there, giving his best, with just a drop of fuel and new tyres. This a good thing in our F1: the qualis. I have nothing to complain about it. The days of 'saving tyres' or 'run heavy' on saturdays are over. =D>

andartop
andartop

But how about this: imagine if they would allow refuelling AND changing tires after the Qualies!
Wouldn't THAT be awesome???

The answer for me is:

1. Allow them to use whichever tire they want. By definition, at any given track conditions, for each specific car/driver combo, only one of the available tires can be the fastest. I cannot think of another 'sport' that forces competitors to compete using the 'wrong' equipment.

2. Allow them to practice! I cannot think of another 'sport' that prohibits competitors from practising. Let them practice after a race or at their local track if they so wish, if transfer costs are the problem.

3. Come up with a rule that says rules can only be changed once in a 5-year period. Allow the engineers to develop their cars and optimize performance. The fastest cars would reach the point of diminishing returns quicker, allowing the slower ones to do some catching up. You never know, after the 2nd or 3rd year of dominance by one team there might be some competition. The 5th year would be the best!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Phil

ChrisM40 wrote:I cant even being to describe the contempt I have for the BBC coverage, presenters included, so I guess it varies from person to person.
Probably. To be fair though, i'm guessing you never had to put up with RTL (German) or SF2 (Swiss) as alternatives... :mrgreen:

The only good thing about SF2 is that Buemi used to give some input, but apart from that, the competence level is prerry shocking. RTL, god, dont ask. Too many commercials and IMO a bit too Germany orientated for my liking (no offence). The best bit is Lauda's input which is as straight and direct as always. I'd watch Sky, but yeah, not available... So yeah. Lucky me. :P
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

efuloni
efuloni

If you had just to watch jus one lap of brazilian coverage you would understand why the viewership is in free-fall. :D

They tried a new method this year that's absolutely ridiculous. The guests have nothing to do with F1 or any racing cars, there's almost none interviews before or after the race... To give you a notion: they split the screen to show Nasr's family (!!!) celebrating after his overtakes. hahaha

It's a bad coverage since always, but this year is even worse. At least Burti and Reginaldo Leme (journalist) have some nice comments sometimes.

The coverage is cutted before the podium interviews, it ends with the champagne.