Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

The video also shows the car is very good under braking......acccelaration biggest problem it seems.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

proteus wrote:The video shows clearly how faster the car is in corners than others, and how much it loses on straights...Previous 2 seasons they had a powerfull car with bad aerodynamics, this year they have great aero and bad engine....
Agree mostly but I would rather say good aero and improving engine. The engine is already vastly different from the roll out in Oz.

You can clearly see most of the compromise engine set up is MGU-H/K related. The lack of corner exit torque is self evident and 305kph down that straight without DRS is very slow. But you can also see the rev band being used smacks of the ICE doing more of the work than at all ideal. They don't like that thing dropping below 9k rpm and rev to possibly 12,200+rpm and maxed the gearing out to suit. That's almost as narrow a power band as the old gutless V8's! Very interesting to see such a long in car. Tells me a lot and justifies Freds comments on future development. With maximum MGU energy out of corners and a useful power band that car looks very useful indeed.

Also explains the odd sounds it's making off throttle and feeding power in. They have to max the ICE performance to be anywhere close to the detriment of drivability. The mapping has to be a nightmare until they get the MGU recovery power they need.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

What is happening with this car??? Alonso spoke about aerodynamic problems for the early stages of the race.

Henning
Henning

JesperA wrote:
Henning wrote:
f1rules wrote:a few pics from amus today
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 856539.jpg
old brake duct covers being used
Is that an air inlet on the front of the tea-tray? What could that be feeding or where would they be redirecting that air? It's quite high energy air reaching that point as it can come under the front of the nose without hitting any obstacles.
No, the "inlet" on the tea-tray is not for the S-Duct, you look at the wrong part of the car.

To Henning: That does not look like an inlet to me, looks like the titanum skidplate curles up from the underside of the tea-tray and up above it.
I think you're right. Damned reflections strike again.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Eric Boullier on speedweak.com: "Here in Shanghai we arrived with new underbody, a new panel, a new front wing and new brake ducts." I know about the brake ducts and the diffuser, but has someone saw the "new FW"? :wtf:

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Already shown here:

Bite Size Tech: McLaren MP4-30 Front brake duct - China

McLaren tested a minor revision to their front brake ducts during Free Practice in China with a new arched fin at the ducts base, pictured on the right by Giorgio Piola. The new fin is used to control how the airflow dissipated by the inside of the front tyre impacts on the airflow moving down the cars centreline, especially the Y250 vortex which the team are always eager to maintain control of.

http://somersf1.blogspot.pt/2015/04/bit ... front.html

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:When was the new diffuser introduced?

This weekend, not sure which day. Only 1 was ready and button got it. Alonzo Get's his in Bahrain.

diffuser

Boullier interwiew on speedweek:

Are there any new parts in Bahrain?
Yes, we improve the overall package before each GP, as with new aero parts, or new mechanical developments. Our program includes many intermediate steps. Here in Shanghai we arrived with new underbody, a new panel, a new front wing and new brake ducts. In Bahrain we will see further developments on both the mechanical and aero on the page. We have practically every GP a new car. "

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

After Boulliers comments I went looking for front wing changes introduced in china, this is what i found:

Might have been trialed before, but haven't seen it. Was raced by at least Button.

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

imightbewrong wrote:After Boulliers comments I went looking for front wing changes introduced in china, this is what i found:
http://i.imgur.com/kpEj4XD.jpg

Might have been trialed before, but haven't seen it. Was raced by at least Button.
Inversely! Above-new, below-old.

f1rules
f1rules

well friday they ran flowvis the following place on the frontwing, so im quessing the change is there

f1rules
f1rules

close up from australia
china
If the update is on this last picture i dont know, but its from the china gp.

I expect them to follow merc, fer, and rb with their layouts of creating "double outwash" by moving the curl inwards

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

This is from the malaysia race:

But you are correct, the bottom one isn't new, it seems that they ran this flap configuration before, it is just different from the one in malaysia.

diffuser

http://en.f1i.com/news/9351-honda-to-po ... rain.html?

“Reliability was a constant problem for us so today is a very good achievement and we know which steps we can still get out of this engine so already from Bahrain we can power up a little bit the power unit. In Barcelona then we have another spec coming, we keep going and improving every race.

trinidefender
trinidefender

One aero part that has me curious is the S-duct in the nose. It has a small flap on it that is a separate piece from the rest of the nose. I have to wonder if this flap is adjustable and/or changeable with flaps of a different design. Maybe a longer one or one with a larger exit for the S-duct.

Thoughts? Or has anybody heard anything about this?