Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

PhillipM wrote:For those that were chatting about the paint density, it was just on the Sky coverage that the new paintscheme is almost 2kg lighter than the old one, partly from better covering power so thinner coats, and partly from loosing the metalflake.
That 2kg lighter claim is rubbish if you ask me.

I think they must have been counting the weight of paint in the tin not even what actually hits the car and what is left when it dries.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Piraxian
Piraxian

High res available

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I remembered reading something about it long ago. After some googling I found a reference:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/137368295-post25.html

Thats 500g for the monocoque. Let's make a raw estimate and say that the monocoque counts for 1 fourth of the cars surface. That would mean 2kg for a complete car. My simple reasoning: if the colour black would mean 2 kg less all cars would be black.

Alonso Fan

Jef Patat wrote:I remembered reading something about it long ago. After some googling I found a reference:

Thats 500g for the monocoque. Let's make a raw estimate and say that the monocoque counts for 1 fourth of the cars surface. That would mean 2kg for a complete car. My simple reasoning: if the colour black would mean 2 kg less all cars would be black.

There's nothing to say its the lightest livery on the grid. For all we know other teams could have thinned their paint out long ago. All we know is that the old livery was nearly 2kg heavier

And that means that the old livery could have been 2kg heavier than all the other liveries on the grid
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

JDC123
JDC123

Alonso Fan wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:I remembered reading something about it long ago. After some googling I found a reference:

There's nothing to say its the lightest livery on the grid. For all we know other teams could have thinned their paint out long ago. All we know is that the old livery was nearly 2kg heavier

And that means that the old livery could have been 2kg heavier than all the other liveries on the grid
Chrome is well known for being a heavy paint as it requires so many layers to get the correct 'depth' i guess

PhillipM
PhillipM

The metalflake would be too, as you need clearcoat to make it work, and more than usual for metallics, etc, as you don't want the particles above the surface.

AUS663
AUS663

if they use nano sliver pigment the coat weight is thinner than the normal clear coat and therefore the weight will not be a consideration.

PlatinumZealot

Alonso Fan wrote:

That is not a fact.

The year is 2009...
McLaren Engineering Director Paddy Lowe explains: "It's very easy to get a fantastic paint finish by putting layer upon layer of paint on the car, but the question is how you get that result with fewer layers and less weight?"

By employing some of the most advanced techniques and an entirely unique chrome formula, Sikkens AkzoNobel managed to get the overall weight of paint on a finished chassis - minus nosecone and wings - down to 1-2 kilos. In a sport where a couple kilos of extra ballast on the right part of the car can make the difference between places on the grid, that development was warmly welcomed by McLaren.

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... cg54SM5.99
1 to 2 kg is a very large range as you can see they did not want to give away too much information.
So nose cone and wings are not a part of that weight. That is not any as much as the whole center section of the car as those areas are much smaller and the insides of the end plates and some other surfaces are not even painted. So worst case sceanario these other parts are 50% more than the chassis and side pod... I count 2kg to 3kg total. Soooo.... This new Mclaren paint job is either 0kg or 1kg in weight.. take your pick!
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

mclaren111

Soooo.... This new Mclaren paint job is either 0kg or 1kg in weight.. take your pick!
I say 0.77kg :wink:

michl420
michl420

Maybe interesting for someone. Only McLaren and Toro Rosso are painted, all the other cars are covered with foil. Source Alexander Wurz, ORF

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Alonso Fan wrote: There's nothing to say its the lightest livery on the grid. For all we know other teams could have thinned their paint out long ago. All we know is that the old livery was nearly 2kg heavier.

We don't know anything. You are taking television comments as facts. It wouldn't be the first time they are wrong. From my source and PlatinumZealot's source (two times data from the teams) the worst estimate could be 4 kg of paint. If they were able to cut of 2kg then the team is full of idiots to not have done it earlier. And it's a fact that the team is not full of idiots. I stick to my simple reasoning, if black cuts off 2 kg, then all cars would be black.

It's not I'm not willing to believe they were able to cut weight. Black indeed has the advantage that the bodywork is carbon fiber and thus will need less covering, maybe newer paint techniques could shave off a bit as well. Maybe they were able to cut the total weight to 2 kg?

BTW: thinning paint does not make a difference, thinner evaporates anyway.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

michl420 wrote:Maybe interesting for someone. Only McLaren and Toro Rosso are painted, all the other cars are covered with foil. Source Alexander Wurz, ORF
That's the first thing I hear about that. Are you talking about vinyl-wrapping? Doesn't that only work on a painted (smooth) surface?

Also since when? (Mercs 2011 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGLe0rsYo6Q, Caterham 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVHuaRjFCs)
Don't remember reading anything about it since then. I would kind of find it strange if all teams were wrapping and Wurz is the only source. Anyone got more info on this?
Last edited by Jef Patat on 10 May 2015, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Alonso Fan

Jef Patat wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote: There's nothing to say its the lightest livery on the grid. For all we know other teams could have thinned their paint out long ago. All we know is that the old livery was nearly 2kg heavier.

We don't know anything. You are taking television comments as facts. It wouldn't be the first time they are wrong. From my source and PlatinumZealot's source (two times data from the teams) the worst estimate could be 4 kg of paint. If they were able to cut of 2kg then the team is full of idiots to not have done it earlier. And it's a fact that the team is not full of idiots. I stick to my simple reasoning, if black cuts off 2 kg, then all cars would be black.

It's not I'm not willing to believe they were able to cut weight. Black indeed has the advantage that the bodywork is carbon fiber and thus will need less covering, maybe newer paint techniques could shave off a bit as well. Maybe they were able to cut the total weight to 2 kg?

BTW: thinning paint does not make a difference, thinner evaporates anyway.

About thinning the paint, I was referring to another post made here earlier, and BBC also mentioned thinning the paint. I see your point.

Also, the source you posted mentions reducing the weight to 1-2kg. BBC and sky and a few posters on here including me, thought that they reduced it by 2kg

Makes a lot of difference.

(I hate the media sometimes)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Jef Patat wrote:BTW: thinning paint does not make a difference, thinner evaporates anyway.
Surely the fact the thinner evaporates is why it makes a difference? - less paint is laid on same surface area.
1mยฒ thinned to cover 2 sq m
Paint 1mยฒ, thinner evaporates = half the mass on same area vs 1mยฒ of unthinned paint
(with half the mass+thinner left "in the tin")

aral
aral

cant be bothered reading all the bumpf about paint, but just to say, the leaving out of metallic flakes made the finish lighter. 25l of a new lighter paint supplied by alzo nobel was used with 13 coats sprayed on. but a saving of even the 2 kg quoted is totally irrelevant anyway. if alonso shaved off his beard, they would probably save as much. :lol: