Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Steven
Owner

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

From our very own photo gallery

diffuser

damager21 wrote:So it looks like all talks of major upgrade for Spain was PR. These sweet and positive talks were what they did last year as well. McLaren as a team has lost its edge and this year is gone. Alonso retired and looks like Button will too. What a shame.
I disagree. Think the target was points this weekend. Alonzo said that they were on target for 8th or 9th. That's the kind of upgrade they've talking about.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Big or small the progress from the upgrades is there. What i am wondering is could fernando get the car into points if he didnt retired

mclaren111

Photo of Merc's Floor:

Can someone forward to Tim Goss and the Boys (we seem to need it) :(

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Love all this talk about the paint being lighter when the front breaks, the engine, the set up, the ERS are all still not working at 100% :mrgreen:

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Very strange are the comments made by BUT about the snap behaviour of is car. ALO seemed not to experience the same.
Is the car too tricky to setup?
Came to my mind ALO crash in BCN during tests

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

JimClarkFan wrote:Love all this talk about the paint being lighter when the front breaks, the engine, the set up, the ERS are all still not working at 100% :mrgreen:
It was actually the right rear brakes that failed and the failure was caused by bad luck, not a design issue. McLaren have had no reliability problems regarding their engine all weekend and as shown on the speed traps, the performance of their power unit is increasing gradually. It is also well known that ERS is the primary cause to the power unit's lack of performance and not their ICE hence the lack of acceleration out of corners. Regarding setup, Alonso had no such issues that JB was stating so maybe it was just JB's side of the garage that got the set up wrong. :roll:

AnthonyG

JimClarkFan wrote:Love all this talk about the paint being lighter when the front breaks, the engine, the set up, the ERS are all still not working at 100% :mrgreen:
For once and for all

This is a break

This is a brake
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

KingHamilton01

Nothing substantial brought to the car in term's of upgrades, the story that honda had used token's to upgrade the engine were not true. Have McLaren Got substantial aero and mechanical upgrades to test for Tue/Wed? overall I am slighlty disappointed and a little bit concerned by the performance here, also can we assume Alonso would have scored point's without his problem?
McLaren Mercedes

GPR-A duplicate2

Freak incident causing break failure for Alonso !!!

Tear-off visor the likely cause of Fernando Alonso's brake failure

Abarth

GPR-A wrote:Freak incident causing break failure for Alonso !!!

Tear-off visor the likely cause of Fernando Alonso's brake failure
Failure? So during his break he failed to talk to this nice girl posted two posts above yours? :lol:

proteus

Since Button described his race as very scary due to the catastrophic car handling issues and snappy rear end at acceleration, we can finally understand what happened to Alonso in testing. It just might be the same thing.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

nevill3

Just before the race on the grid Button said to Sky pundits that they had more power available for the race compared to Friday. I think his rear snapping problem was just a power delivery problem brought on by increasing the power output but not adjusting other critical control elements. Poor engine mapping and power delivery that results from their lack of mileage in winter testing when decent power maps and settings would have been tested/experimented with and developed during the first races.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

proteus wrote:Since Button described his race as very scary due to the catastrophic car handling issues and snappy rear end at acceleration, we can finally understand what happened to Alonso in testing. It just might be the same thing.
Indeed, it sounds like potentially they have a problem with the aero at the rear end stalling. It could be the windy conditions at Barcelona amplify this particular problem.

diffuser

Diesel wrote:
proteus wrote:Since Button described his race as very scary due to the catastrophic car handling issues and snappy rear end at acceleration, we can finally understand what happened to Alonso in testing. It just might be the same thing.
Indeed, it sounds like potentially they have a problem with the aero at the rear end stalling. It could be the windy conditions at Barcelona amplify this particular problem.

I think if it was this kind of inherent problem in the car, then both Alo and JB would have complained. Since only JB is complaining, then I think it's something more specific to his car.