Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

boydy19 wrote:Wouldn't say Hondas problem is at the end of the straight, it's how long it's taking to get there. Top speed doesn't mean much.

If you watch live timing you'll see that they're consistently 12km/h+ slower through every speed trap minus the one on the long straight.
Top speed does NOT mean much by itself. Typically it's a gearing thing. A car with shorter gears will hit top speed sooner and plateau there, while a car with longer gears will hit a "short geared top speed" later on in the straight and surpass it. The question is can the delay in getting to the "short geared top speed" be overcome by the higher overall top speed.

In the live timing, what I think you're referring to as "every speed trap" isn't a speed trap at all. It is the average speed during that sector. At one point I though it was the max speed in that sector ...I looked up at some point.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Moose
Moose

diffuser wrote:Top speed does NOT mean much by itself. Typically it's a gearing thing. A car with shorter gears will hit top speed sooner and plateau there, while a car with longer gears will hit a "short geared top speed" later on in the straight and surpass it. The question is can the delay in getting to the "short geared top speed" be overcome by the higher overall top speed.
That's not really true in the days of massively torquey turbo engines with ERS units. These cars will spin their wheels up even with the most fantastically long gearing, especially when they have 8 gears.

Instead, McLaren being slow out of corners indicates that their ERS system is still not working at full capacity, and/or that their apex speed is lower than everyone else's.

mclaren111

Sky F1 with a sense of humor:
Is that an apex and a McLaren we spy in the same shot?

mikeerfol

diffuser

That's not really true in the days of massively torquey turbo engines with ERS units. These cars will spin their wheels up even with the most fantastically long gearing, especially when they have 8 gears.

Instead, McLaren being slow out of corners indicates that their ERS system is still not working at full capacity, and/or that their apex speed is lower than everyone else's.
Where did that come from that they were slow out of the corners ? Their best sector was sector 3 and it is basically 1 slow corner after the other.

Moose
Moose

diffuser wrote:

Where did that come from that they were slow out of the corners ? Their best sector was sector 3 and it is basically 1 slow corner after the other.
I'm not sure - and I'm not saying it's true. I'm just responding to the argument that being slow out of corners would be caused by gearing. Being slow out of corners has nothing to do with gearing in modern F1, and everything to do with ERS/apex speed.

boydy19
boydy19

diffuser wrote:
boydy19 wrote:Wouldn't say Hondas problem is at the end of the straight, it's how long it's taking to get there. Top speed doesn't mean much.

If you watch live timing you'll see that they're consistently 12km/h+ slower through every speed trap minus the one on the long straight.
Top speed does NOT mean much by itself. Typically it's a gearing thing. A car with shorter gears will hit top speed sooner and plateau there, while a car with longer gears will hit a "short geared top speed" later on in the straight and surpass it. The question is can the delay in getting to the "short geared top speed" be overcome by the higher overall top speed.

In the live timing, what I think you're referring to as "every speed trap" isn't a speed trap at all. It is the average speed during that sector. At one point I though it was the max speed in that sector ...I looked up at some point.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not so sure I was comparing them with cars around them on the timesheet doing similar lap times. They were slower than everyone through those 'traps' other than marussa.

Postmoe

McLaren is slow at accelerating after coming out from a corner, I would say. Cornering could be very good but still the car would be slow in comparison. The inter-turn straights seem to be the biggest problem.

That I believe could mean:

- Engine not delivering enough power & response
- Bad traction
- troublesome driveability

The effect is just the same as when you drive a kart that has a worse engine or you are significantly heavier than the other guys. Any correction is a big, big loss.

Everything being PU related with the exception of rear suspension. But I will rule that out if the car is consistently behaving correctly in slow sectors. Lets see what Monaco tells us.

Redragon

Marca is reporting Honda will use all 9 tokens by Sylverstone or the following race.
Also main problem is ICE and not the ERS

http://www.marca.com/2015/05/13/motor/f ... 05950.html

Thunder

Pictures posted by the User f1tomi8 over at Autosport: (right click -> open in new Tab for bigger Pictures)

FlowViz for Days in every Color available :shock: :shock:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PlatinumZealot

Oh. So much flow-vis. That can't be good!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

trinidefender
trinidefender

Don't remember seeing the lower roll hoop split like in this image. Is it something new?

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:Oh. So much flow-vis. That can't be good!

Bruce Banner has arrived !!!!!

Ok....why is that bad ?

henra
henra

diffuser wrote: Ok....why is that bad ?
It doesn't have to be a bad sign but it could indeed.
It might be an indication that they are trying to find where the air behaves differently than expected from CFD. Especially the massive flow viz across the entire coke bottle is a bit strange. Suspecting separations?

ME4ME

I guess it doesn't harm to verify things even though you're pretty sure it works :)