Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FW17

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Thunders wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: Why does the front suspension have a bearing on the frontal crash test?

All suspension, wishbone and steering apparatus are mounted on the front bulk head and nothing further forward. The nose cone is the only part involved in the crash test
The shorter the Nosecone, the harder it is to pass the Crash Test. RB had a hard Time pass the Crash Test already, and they have more room to play with.

What room are you talking abt?

trinidefender
trinidefender

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: Why does the front suspension have a bearing on the frontal crash test?

All suspension, wishbone and steering apparatus are mounted on the front bulk head and nothing further forward. The nose cone is the only part involved in the crash test
The shorter the Nosecone, the harder it is to pass the Crash Test. RB had a hard Time pass the Crash Test already, and they have more room to play with.

What room are you talking abt?
If you look at the front suspension on the mclaren then you will notice that that wishbones and steering rod have a larger forward angle compared to the other cars. This means that the bulkhead is further forward and so the nose is shorter than it would be on other cars.

diffuser

trinidefender wrote: If you look at the front suspension on the mclaren then you will notice that that wishbones and steering rod have a larger forward angle compared to the other cars. This means that the bulkhead is further forward and so the nose is shorter than it would be on other cars.
It was often talked about going into the 2014 season by the likes of James Allison, that the changes in the nose didn't equate to much and there were plenty of ways to get it to do what you wanted.

I don think the nose is high on their priority list.

Moose
Moose

diffuser wrote:It was often talked about going into the 2014 season by the likes of James Allison, that the changes in the nose didn't equate to much and there were plenty of ways to get it to do what you wanted.

On the other hand - Williams reported that the change in the nose had had surprisingly significant effects on their car's aero, and that they spent a lot of the winter just fine tuning their solution to regain the larger-than-expected losses.

trinidefender
trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
trinidefender wrote: If you look at the front suspension on the mclaren then you will notice that that wishbones and steering rod have a larger forward angle compared to the other cars. This means that the bulkhead is further forward and so the nose is shorter than it would be on other cars.
It was often talked about going into the 2014 season by the likes of James Allison, that the changes in the nose didn't equate to much and there were plenty of ways to get it to do what you wanted.

I never said it was, I was just talking about why it would be harder for McLaren to make a shorter nose if they wanted to.

Frankly from some CFD work that I have seen it seems in the last 2 seasons it is more important to have a nose that creates the least amount of turbulence rather than pure air mass flow going under the nose.

Ironically people love to talk about airflow going under the nose and totally ignore the big gaping space next to the nose that airflow also passes through.

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I never said it was, I was just talking about why it would be harder for McLaren to make a shorter nose if they wanted to.

Frankly from some CFD work that I have seen it seems in the last 2 seasons it is more important to have a nose that creates the least amount of turbulence rather than pure air mass flow going under the nose.

Ironically people love to talk about airflow going under the nose and totally ignore the big gaping space next to the nose that airflow also passes through.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that it was your opinion....I was just talking about it as well.

diffuser

Moose wrote:
diffuser wrote:It was often talked about going into the 2014 season by the likes of James Allison, that the changes in the nose didn't equate to much and there were plenty of ways to get it to do what you wanted.

On the other hand - Williams reported that the change in the nose had had surprisingly significant effects on their car's aero, and that they spent a lot of the winter just fine tuning their solution to regain the larger-than-expected losses.
I think you're making my point =D>

Williams 2014 nose was deemed illegal. So they had to change.

if going to a shorter nose would require significant work just to get back to where they are now(being that they have a legal nose)... Do they have better things to do with their time?

I'm just throwing that out there, I have no Idea what the possible AERO ideas PP might for the car.

I have noticed that since Australia they:
1- Tweaked a bit the side:
- Added a 3ird vortex generator above the side pods.
- modified the vertical wing attached to the side pods.

2- Tweaked a bit on the nose:
- Added vents under the nose that come out on top.
- Buldge under the nose.
- Brake ducts.
- The wings under the nose.
3 - Tweaked the Rear
- diffuser
- Rear Wing
- Rear wing Support.
- Rear Wing Uprights
4 - Tweaked the PU cover in the Barcelona tests.

Maybe they're due to start from the front again?

Feel Free to reorder that list and add to it if you remember other things.

aral
aral

diffuser wrote: Williams 2014 nose was deemed illegal. So they had to change.

Am i missing something? When was the Williams nose declared illegal?

PlatinumZealot

He means the 2014 nose cannot be used for 2015.
He also said Mclaren has "less space" to go to short nose. The front wings positions relative to the front wheel centre line is dictated by the rules. The front bulkhead position is independent of that however, Mcalren front bulkhead relative to the front wheel centre line seems to protrude about 2 inches further out than the other short nose cars. More space can be had by sweeping the suspension forward a bit if needed... Or they can just put more crumple material into the short nose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

GoranF1
GoranF1

Ryo Mukumoto

Q: Hi Ryo, nice to meet you here. Could you tell us the latest development of Honda?
RM: Hi. Currently we are no near top. We are developing still, but it's no easy. We have good (progress), about half (50%) and we continue to fight. We have good onwards from the engine, but right now we are still too far.

Q: Alright, what's the problem with the engine these few races?
RM: We cannot run full like others. Our engineers good work in Japan and we have manage to reach getting 70% full power in supeingo (Spain), and we will try to extract more from power engine. The way our engine designed mean's it's all new and we cannot examples from the rest, we have to experiment ourselves. The position of various key components are unique and some are not ideal, but some good. We did alot of research before coming up with this design, I admit some have not worked but we change them soon use tokens and they will good.

Q: Could you see Mclaren-Honda winning a race this season?
RM: No, difficult next season too. You know new team hard to win race, compare to the rest who work long together. We will try to win a race next year, but no guarantees in motor. Our target is to be near 3rd team (Williams) at the end of this season. It would be a good (achievement) if we do it.

Q: We have heard a lot of things about the Mclaren chassis and the size zero rear end. Care to share more about it?
RM: Eh... small size good for aero, and we package our power (engine) to match it. There is more to (extract) it, but currently if you notice we have not make big steps in aero. There is a big change coming up (b-spec), on target for England (Silverstone). It will be launched with our new engine.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

aral
aral

PlatinumZealot wrote:He means the 2014 nose cannot be used for 2015.
doh! so the nose wasnt illegal! just, as with all others (bar ferrari) it didnt comply with 2015 rules. that is because the rules changed.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Ryo Mukumoto

Q: Hi Ryo, nice to meet you here. Could you tell us the latest development of Honda?
RM: Hi. Currently we are no near top. We are developing still, but it's no easy. We have good (progress), about half (50%) and we continue to fight. We have good onwards from the engine, but right now we are still too far.

Q: Alright, what's the problem with the engine these few races?
RM: We cannot run full like others. Our engineers good work in Japan and we have manage to reach getting 70% full power in supeingo (Spain), and we will try to extract more from power engine. The way our engine designed mean's it's all new and we cannot examples from the rest, we have to experiment ourselves. The position of various key components are unique and some are not ideal, but some good. We did alot of research before coming up with this design, I admit some have not worked but we change them soon use tokens and they will good.

Q: Could you see Mclaren-Honda winning a race this season?
RM: No, difficult next season too. You know new team hard to win race, compare to the rest who work long together. We will try to win a race next year, but no guarantees in motor. Our target is to be near 3rd team (Williams) at the end of this season. It would be a good (achievement) if we do it.

Q: We have heard a lot of things about the Mclaren chassis and the size zero rear end. Care to share more about it?
RM: Eh... small size good for aero, and we package our power (engine) to match it. There is more to (extract) it, but currently if you notice we have not make big steps in aero. There is a big change coming up (b-spec), on target for England (Silverstone). It will be launched with our new engine.
So this means write off for Mclaren-Honda this season and 2016.
"Q: Could you see Mclaren-Honda winning a race this season?
RM: No, difficult next season too."

So much for new Honda technology and zero size design by Mr: PP.

GoranF1
GoranF1

dont know if this pic was already posted here,and dont know if this brake ducts are new,but they are nice! :D

EDIT; just saw last page here... :lol: ... sorry!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:He means the 2014 nose cannot be used for 2015.
He also said Mclaren has "less space" to go to short nose. The front wings positions relative to the front wheel centre line is dictated by the rules. The front bulkhead position is independent of that however, Mcalren front bulkhead relative to the front wheel centre line seems to protrude about 2 inches further out than the other short nose cars. More space can be had by sweeping the suspension forward a bit if needed... Or they can just put more crumple material into the short nose.
Thx, yeah. that's what I said!!!!!

DiogoBrand

What prevents them from making the floor wider and closer to the tyre?