2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

GPR-A wrote:Can you please provide some evidence of that? Because, I haven't seen Merc using Two sets in Q2 ever since 2014. It would be interesting if they did. Otherwise also, I don't think tyres would be a problem in Monaco as the leader is going to run a controlled race, which means most of the leading group would be under utilizing the tyres.
Nico´s SS tires he will start the race on is perfectly fine according to himself.
All other SS he used are messed up though but since it´s a one stop race he´s in the clear.

F1 Press Conference Qualifying.

Even if stuff happens in the race, and pitting twice is beneficial, running OPP when you`re in a Mercedes won´t be much of a problem.
Last edited by SectorOne on 24 May 2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GPR-A duplicate2

GPR-A wrote:
Sevach wrote:
GPR-A wrote: Nico also flat spotted them even in Q2 just like in Q3.
The tires he flat spotted are not the ones he will start the race, he did his best lap with the first set.
Can you please provide some evidence of that? Because, I haven't seen Merc using Two sets in Q2 ever since 2014. It would be interesting if they did. Otherwise also, I don't think tyres would be a problem in Monaco as the leader is going to run a controlled race, which means most of the leading group would be under utilizing the tyres.
You are right Sevach. I found a qualifying recording somewhere and listend to Ted, at the end of Q2, where he said, "As confirmed by PIRELLI, Nico flat spotted a new set of Super Softs, but his best time was set on a used set earlier in Q2 and that is the set he would be starting his race on".
Lewis' best time came on a new set of Super Soft on which he would be starting the race on.

GPR-A duplicate2

Is Kimi the new Webber? Just as pathetic as Webber was and very lovable to the team management. Once Webber was replaced with Ricciardo, the world realized how much Vettel was unchallenged. One more dud qualifying performance from Kimi. He can blame the team for putting him in traffic for the ultimate quali lap, but he did a pathetic lap (1:17.606) in the first part of Q3, where Lewis (1:15.304), Nico (1:15.440) and Vettel (1:15.849) all did great banker laps.
Ferrari has denied that there exists a No.1 status and they are providing equal opportunities to both drivers, by keeping an under performing driver, they are making it more than obvious that they do in fact have clearly installed Vettel as No.1 and happy with Kimi just performing a side kick role.

djos

2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

proteus wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Total silence again after Sainz pips "lil Senna".
Total silence will be deserved, when Sainz will outscore the lill Senna in general standings. Right now they are equal and being faster in qualifying does not bring points. There was a bold talk everywhere how verstappen will be eaten for breakfast, but he has allready done enough to close the mouths of the speculators.
I find it more amusing that Ricciardo smashed them both and the usual critics have gone quiet. They were so good at ignoring Ricciardo's massive points advantage too!
"In downforce we trust"

wickedz50
wickedz50

Today will be some chance of frequent safety car and for Ferrari to win they need some good strategy,unless Vettel is lucky the Merc will win. Love to see both the Merc driver take each other out in the first corner.

Webber2011
Webber2011

GPR-A wrote:Is Kimi the new Webber? Just as pathetic as Webber was and very lovable to the team management. Once Webber was replaced with Ricciardo, the world realized how much Vettel was unchallenged. One more dud qualifying performance from Kimi. He can blame the team for putting him in traffic for the ultimate quali lap, but he did a pathetic lap (1:17.606) in the first part of Q3, where Lewis (1:15.304), Nico (1:15.440) and Vettel (1:15.849) all did great banker laps.
Ferrari has denied that there exists a No.1 status and they are providing equal opportunities to both drivers, by keeping an under performing driver, they are making it more than obvious that they do in fact have clearly installed Vettel as No.1 and happy with Kimi just performing a side kick role.
I tend to agree with you, but to call Webber, and Kimi "pathetic" is a bit much is it not ?

Jordan44

wickedz50 wrote:Today will be some chance of frequent safety car and for Ferrari to win they need some good strategy,unless Vettel is lucky the Merc will win. Love to see both the Merc driver take each other out in the first corner.
Ferrari's chance of winning today is lower than it has been all year. Merc are solid on the soft tyre in all conditions and a lot quickest in the cooler conditions we are expecting on the super soft. Add in the fact it's Monaco. Not gonna happen unless both Mercs break down. They could try to split them at least.

Moose
Moose

J0rd4n wrote:
wickedz50 wrote:Today will be some chance of frequent safety car and for Ferrari to win they need some good strategy,unless Vettel is lucky the Merc will win. Love to see both the Merc driver take each other out in the first corner.
Ferrari's chance of winning today is lower than it has been all year. Merc are solid on the soft tyre in all conditions and a lot quickest in the cooler conditions we are expecting on the super soft. Add in the fact it's Monaco. Not gonna happen unless both Mercs break down. They could try to split them at least.
Never say never at Monaco. All it takes is for a safety car to come out after the Mercs have passed the pits but before the Ferraris have, and bang - the race is theirs.

Jordan44

Moose wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:
Never say never at Monaco. All it takes is for a safety car to come out after the Mercs have passed the pits but before the Ferraris have, and bang - the race is theirs.
I did not say never I just said they have little chance :P

henra
henra

GPR-A wrote:Is Kimi the new Webber?
I don't think Mark or Kimi are bad drivers. Seb lets them look worse than they are.
If the car suits him Seb is incredible at one lap Speed. Possibly the fastest on a single lap in the whole field. Where he tends to struggle is in traffic. He tends to be clumsy at overtaking and kills the tyres in the process. He also tends to overdrive his car early in the race when he tries to extract more than is in the car. That was OK when he had the fastest car but it kills him in the race if he hasn't. Kimi is the exact opposite. He has never been brilliant in qualidying but he tends to conserve tyres very well and he is also quite good in traffic and doesn't overdrive the car.

In Monaco the bad qualifying will hurt him but there will be races where he can Profit from his undeniable race craft. Don't write him off, yet.

radosav
radosav

Possibility of rain ?

iotar__

GPR-A wrote:Is Kimi the new Webber? Just as pathetic as Webber was and very lovable to the team management. Once Webber was replaced with Ricciardo, the world realized how much Vettel was unchallenged.
This comparison does not make sense on any level and adding zero arguments or facts after such statement although not uncommon here doesn't help your case. I don't see any connection when it comes to hype, treatment by audience or journalists. Positions and treatment within teams? Zero similarities. Opportunities and cars - not comparable. Path to F1 - nope. Driving, strengths and weaknesses - even less. I guess you wanted to have a dig at Webber after Raikkonen's bad qualifying. Better comparison if you need one would be: Vettel in 2014 was the new Webber, including reliability.

As for "unchallenged Vettel" it was the first time his team-mate was given equal treatment within the team ("Vettel's way is faster" BS), not 30-35 year old (age matters and is the only common part with Raikkonen, no accident that it was close in 2009-2010), from the same Red Bull's driving program and without car related disadvantages: tyres and blown diffuser. New cars, tyres and engines matter and make comparisons pointless. Even Webber before retirement was just ~0,3 s behind most of the time and not full second (especially in Monaco = bad example), sometimes clearly in front like in the beginning of 2012 before tailor-made tuning including coanda took place that adjusted the car to one driver.

mikeerfol

radosav wrote:Possibility of rain ?
https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/sta ... 9375265792

CevertF1
CevertF1

The only remote things that could turn this from a Borefest into a race is either a sprinkling of rain or someone getting the jump on two chains at the start.

I think both are highly unlikely ;)

GPR-A duplicate2

iotar__ wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Is Kimi the new Webber? Just as pathetic as Webber was and very lovable to the team management. Once Webber was replaced with Ricciardo, the world realized how much Vettel was unchallenged.
This comparison does not make sense on any level and adding zero arguments or facts after such statement although not uncommon here doesn't help your case. I don't see any connection when it comes to hype, treatment by audience or journalists. Positions and treatment within teams? Zero similarities. Opportunities and cars - not comparable. Path to F1 - nope. Driving, strengths and weaknesses - even less. I guess you wanted to have a dig at Webber after Raikkonen's bad qualifying. Better comparison if you need one would be: Vettel in 2014 was the new Webber, including reliability.

As for "unchallenged Vettel" it was the first time his team-mate was given equal treatment within the team ("Vettel's way is faster" BS), not 30-35 year old (age matters and is the only common part with Raikkonen, no accident that it was close in 2009-2010), from the same Red Bull's driving program and without car related disadvantages: tyres and blown diffuser. New cars, tyres and engines matter and make comparisons pointless. Even Webber before retirement was just ~0,3 s behind most of the time and not full second (especially in Monaco = bad example), sometimes clearly in front like in the beginning of 2012 before tailor-made tuning including coanda took place that adjusted the car to one driver.
First, let me apologize for taking the race forum into different discussion.
Iotar, no matter how you want to prove, but this how the history is going to remember them together. Every single year, Vettel has beaten Webber to pulp. No matter what the gap was in terms of speed, anyone looking the following statistics, one has to say that Webber was pathetic. The battle between Vettel and Kimi is going almost in the same direction and that is why I called them both PATHETIC.