Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Re: Honda Power Unit

There isn't anything that suggests you can harvest 2MJ per lap from the brakes, it's a limit not a target or an average.

Secondly, the 1MJ from mgu-k and 3.5MJ from the H was from Spa, not Monza.

There is nothing suggesting they had a surplus at Hungary, it's track spent at lower speed with shorter straights and far less time on throttle. If you can only harvest 2MJ per lap then at a track which requires less power it won't be as much of an issue, at a track that requires more power it will be a bigger issue. Suggesting power harvesting is fine because it's only worked effectively at one of the few tracks it matters less is illogical thinking. If the ONLY tracks with which the Honda engine seems to harvest enough energy is a track that requires much less than others, it much more strongly suggests they don't harvest enough but they were significantly less badly effected there. If they did harvest enough why were they suddenly terrible at Spa and Monza... in fact, they were terrible at Hungary, their pace was awful. If 438 crashes, penalties and failures hadn't effected the 10 cars ahead of them and several behind them they weren't remotely close to the pace required to get into the top 10 let alone 5th.

Arai(as he has all year) was using the result to deflect from realities. They got 5th out of luck, had they finished the max 12th their pace deserved(and that is with failures) he would have had to admit they didn't harvest enough there either.

It's also not realistic to use his words always as gospel, not least because he's been misleading at times but the translations of his words aren't always going to be accurate.

For instance above when he said
"This circuit is very difficult for our power unit because the MGU-K is 120kw, but MGU-H is applied more time on the straight, so it is very difficult for us."
I take the meaning entirely differently to some in this thread. I take that to mean the MGU-K is too powerful, drains the available energy too quickly and the mgu-h which has suffered reliability issues all year, overheating and other failures, thus it's a problem that they need to run the mgu-h as much as they do... which still isn't enough.

IE if the MGU-K was 60KW they would have less trouble with the MGU-H/turbo/harvesting/heat side of the engine.

Every single sign throughout the season is Honda have drastically less power to deploy than everyone else. Every team is seemingly harvesting a lot more through the mgu-h than mgu-k regardless of track, how much more changes depending on track but it's almost always much more. Honda say they have a better ice than Renault yet pale in comparison in performance, both have a mgu-k capable of outputting 120KW, Renault supposedly has good mgu-h harvesting...... but the mgu-k is the problem for Honda?

Honestly for 90% of the time since the first preseason test the compressor/mgu-h has been considered the troubled area, but based on a couple of sentences recently, which can obviously be translated/interpreted in multiple different ways, it's suddenly the mgu-k that is the problem.

In reality the mgu-k has very few limitations. It's placement means making it bigger is realistically very easy. It's not in the V of the engine, it can be made bigger because it's only limited on one side by the engine. INcreasing cooling or capacity IF they were problems would be fundamentally easy and wouldn't require changing the layout of the engine. LIkewise as I've said before, they've changed the turbo and mgu-h but haven't updated the mgu-k. If the harvesting worked and the mgu-k didn't and it would gain them a couple of seconds a lap easily(if the power was harvested but couldn't be applied) they would do this and had the tokens to do so.

FW17

Little bit of perspective fro LMP1

at the 13 km circuit Le Mans Circuit approximately 2wice length of Spa

Toyota 6MJ only from brakes

Audi 4MJ only from brakes

Porsche 8MJ; 4 - 6 MJ from brakes and 2 - 4 MJ from TC

So at Spa would the energy recoveries by half that of Le Mans or same as Le Mans

If half as Le Mans Porsche System must be recovering 1 - 2 MJ per lap of Spa

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Remember that the braking harvesting potential of the LMP1 cars is up to 5x that of the F1 cars.

Andres125sx

drunkf1fan wrote:in fact, they were terrible at Hungary, their pace was awful. If 438 crashes, penalties and failures hadn't effected the 10 cars ahead of them and several behind them they weren't remotely close to the pace required to get into the top 10 let alone 5th.
5th was too much for the car obviously, but I think top ten was feasible. Look at the lap times, if you deactivate all except Alonso and Button, and then activate the rest one by one, you´ll see only Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull were clearly faster. Williams probably too, but not too much and not in all stints. McLaren was easily faster than Manor and Sauber, and differences with FI, STR and Lotus are almost non existant, depending mainly on race strategy (stint lenght) and each driver, so IMO they could have fighted for top 10 even with all the cars on track.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/07/26/f ... e-for-win/

Not saying McH was fast in Hungary, but neither the disaster you´re claiming. We´ll see in Singapore
drunkf1fan wrote:
"This circuit is very difficult for our power unit because the MGU-K is 120kw, but MGU-H is applied more time on the straight, so it is very difficult for us."
I take the meaning entirely differently to some in this thread. I take that to mean the MGU-K is too powerful, drains the available energy too quickly and the mgu-h which has suffered reliability issues all year, overheating and other failures, thus it's a problem that they need to run the mgu-h as much as they do... which still isn't enough.

IE if the MGU-K was 60KW they would have less trouble with the MGU-H/turbo/harvesting/heat side of the engine.
I also take it very different to some around here, and very similar to you. Not about mgu-k is too powerful as it is restricted by rules so it´s the same for everyone, but agree about the rest, to me he´s saying they have serious problems with mgu-h harvesting for long periods. Basically I get it as if their main problem is mgu-h cooling, when they need it to work continuously (long straights) is when they have problems and differences with other manufacturers are exacerbated

mrluke
mrluke

WilliamsF1 wrote:Little bit of perspective fro LMP1

at the 13 km circuit Le Mans Circuit approximately 2wice length of Spa

Toyota 6MJ only from brakes

Audi 4MJ only from brakes

Porsche 8MJ; 4 - 6 MJ from brakes and 2 - 4 MJ from TC

So at Spa would the energy recoveries by half that of Le Mans or same as Le Mans

If half as Le Mans Porsche System must be recovering 1 - 2 MJ per lap of Spa
Remember that F1 can only harvest from the rear brakes.

FW17

Honda could fit its much-criticised F1 engine to a 'Super Formula' open wheel car, the Italian magazine Autosprint reports.

In its latest edition, published earlier this week, Autosprint said the move could be a way for the embattled Japanese manufacturer to prove its 2015 'power unit' is not as bad as many believe.

The news comes after the recent Italian grand prix, where insiders said an interview session featuring Honda's under-fire Yasuhisa Arai was one of the most 'brutal' in recent F1 history.

McLaren and Honda appear increasingly divided, as despite Arai's claims that the engine is better now than Renault's, Fernando Alonso's top speed at Monza was just 338kph -- 16kph behind the leading Mercedes.

And Autosprint correspondent Cesare Maria Mannucci said Alonso's 338 was only a few kph faster than the 331kph recorded by GP2 driver Robert Visoiu.

Honda, however, could now be set to fight back against the claim that it is entirely to blame for McLaren's lack of pace.

The report said the Japanese are planning to install the turbo V6 unit to a chassis of Japan's premier open-wheeler series, Super Formula, and test it at Suzuka.

Super Formula cars are powered by 4 cylinder, 2-litre turbo engines, but Autosprint said installation of Honda's F1 unit would nonetheless be possible.

"The tests would be carried out in collaboration with the Mugen or Nakajima teams," Cesare Maria Munnicci claimed, explaining that the outcome might finally answer the question of "who is to blame" for McLaren-Honda's awful 2015.

Shouldn't they have done this last winter?

Arterius
Arterius

j.yank wrote:
alexx_88 wrote:I think we are doing circles around the same idea. Let me try and sum it up and let me know which part you don't agree with: :)
  1. The goal of the ERS in this formula is to maximize the amount of time you are able to drive the MGU-K at the 120kW.
  2. In order to do that, you have two sources of energy: the ES and the MGU-H
  3. As it has been reported, over the course of a lap, 75% of the energy stored in the ES comes from the MGU-H, while the other 25% from the MGU-K
  4. It has been said a number of times on this forum that achieving the MGU-K harvesting targets is easier than the MGU-H's. As shown by Ferrari last year who under-sized their turbine, being unable to recover sufficient energy through the MGU-H.
  5. As was reported from the Honda camp, their problem is harvesting enough energy to maximize the amount of time they can drive their MGU-K at full power. My opinion is that their issues stem mainly from the inability to reach the harvesting targets for the MGU-H.

On which part of the argument are we not agreeing?

PS: Just saw your post. If they are able to get enough energy from the MGU-H, why were they running out of electrical energy after half a lap at Spa? Or, let me put it the other way. If the MGU-K harvesting only amount to 25% of the total energy harvested, why are they running out of energy so soon?
Good approach! =D> 1. and 2. I think are indisputable. Should be specified that 3. is valid only for Monza - normally MGU-K should provide 2 MJ per lap. The disagreements start in 4. We don't know which one is easier, especially for Honda case where no one actually has any real information. Ferrari's problems last year where more related to undersized compressor and if I remember this right, the strange decision the energy from MGU-H always to go through the ES first instead directly to be linked to MGU-K. If you don't have big enough compressor you will not have enough ICE power. In this case you can have the best MGU-H but this will not make the required end pick power. About 5.: if they have problems reaching the harvesting targets from MGU-H they will experience sever energy deficit not only on tracks like Monza but on circuits like Hungaroring. But Arai said that they were OK there. Also, on Monza if they had MGU-H problem they would not be able to hold (around 6-7 laps) four cars for two laps, not to speak to try to fight with them on the straights like Button did. Honestly I expected much worse performance there and the fact they were lapped only once on this track is nice surprise. If they had not functional MGU-H, 2 laps behind the leader should be guaranteed on Monza.
That is not correct. Ferrari's problems last year were from an undersized Turbine and thus not able to recover enough energy from the MGU-H.

godlameroso

Can't have one without the other, a larger compressor produces more exhaust gases, which requires a bigger turbine which produces more MGU-H power which makes more MGU-K power which produces more crankshaft power.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

Is the material of which brakes are made a factor in the operations of MGU-K ?
Ferrari and Mercedes use Brembo if i am not mistaken and Mclaren Akebono!?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

wuzak
wuzak

alexx_88 wrote:@Wuzak: Where did you get your figures from? I mean the amount of energy available for harvesting at each circuit. Logic dictates me that, besides the brake bias (which is mostly corner dependent), if you're dissipating more energy through braking, then there's more to be recovered as well. Obviously braking duration is key here, but 1MJ (which is the number I've seen being mentioned as harvested by the MGU-K over a lap) only takes 8s of braking to be harvested. Even Monza has significantly more than that.

In any case, I was simply contradicting the affirmation that Honda's woes come from the insufficient harvesting from the MGU-K when they have actually been reported to come from the lack of harvesting from the MGU-H.
I had some data from Brembo a year or so ago, posted by a member in another forum, on which I did some calculations.

Anyway, to Monza:

http://www.formula1.brembo.com/schede_c ... ia_eng.pdf

The total braking time at Monza was 6.55s. However, T2 had braking time of 0.70s, but power of only 75kW, so not very much for the MGUK to recover. So if we ignore that, the useful braking time was 5.85s. That would give 702kJ of recovered energy.

You pointed out that Monza's total braking energy for a lap was 117kWh. For Malaysia the total was 258kWh. Braking time in the listed corners was 11.66s, all zones with sufficient power to be able to recover 120kW from the MGUK. Possible MGUK recovery 1399kJ.

Silverstone: 85kWh/7.65s/918kJ
http://www.formula1.brembo.com/schede_c ... na_eng.pdf

Monaco: 127kWh/7.23s/868kJ
http://www.formula1.brembo.com/schede_c ... co_eng.pdf

Hungary: 159kWh/8.55s/1026kJ

Spa: 101kWh/9.3s/1116kJ
http://www.formula1.brembo.com/schede_c ... io_eng.pdf

This lack of generation from the brakes is part of the reason teh cars "lift and coast" at some circuits - so they can extend the time the MGUK is harvesting during braking.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Andres125sx wrote: I also take it very different to some around here, and very similar to you. Not about mgu-k is too powerful as it is restricted by rules so it´s the same for everyone, but agree about the rest, to me he´s saying they have serious problems with mgu-h harvesting for long periods. Basically I get it as if their main problem is mgu-h cooling, when they need it to work continuously (long straights) is when they have problems and differences with other manufacturers are exacerbated
By too powerful I only meant in regards to the mgu-h power they could harvest. not that they are using more than anyone else. Just if you can bring 3.5MJ per lap out of the mgu-h then a 120kw mgu-h gives a good amount of power and a good amount of usage. When you are probably getting around 1MJ, then effectively the 120KW is draining what power they have too fast.

FW17

Cosworth expected something around 120 HP from the MGU H but only around 600 from ICE

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Why would the ICE only peak at ~11500 rpm and not 10500? Does the lower back pressure as a result of the lower compressor power requirements offset the increasing friction losses to a point?

alexx_88
alexx_88

@wuzak: Excellent info, thanks!

gruntguru
gruntguru

Cold Fussion wrote:Why would the ICE only peak at ~11500 rpm and not 10500? Does the lower back pressure as a result of the lower compressor power requirements offset the increasing friction losses to a point?
Power must drop below 10,500 due to reducing fuel flow. To produce a wide band of near maximum power, it would be necessary to "tune" the engine to peak somewhere above 10,500 and aim to operate between 10,500 and say 12,000 when max performance is required on the track. It might be worth checking the gear ratios calculated elsewhere in this forum to see how wide the power band needs to be. 10,500 - 12,000 for example requires a maximum ratio spacing of 12,000/10,500 = 120/105 = 1.14 so a maximum spacing of 14% between gears to stay within that band.
je suis charlie