F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

Look at the 20 lap runs on medium or soft tires like they'll use in the race this year, that will pretty much tell you everything. Lap times in the 1:30 is the time you need to finish the race with the allotted fuel, the tires are capable of much more. This 1:30 can be beaten by harder driving, DRS, and abusing the tires, or with a more aggressive and efficient engine maps. You'll notice no one drives consistently under 1:30, a second or two faster, a second or two slower, but for a race distance this is the performance for the fuel allowed.

*I'm surprised no one's tried to run the hards into the ground, or tried to see how bad the drop off is from the under tread layer.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:Look at the 20 lap runs on medium or soft tires like they'll use in the race this year, that will pretty much tell you everything. Lap times in the 1:30 is the time you need to finish the race with the allotted fuel, the tires are capable of much more. This 1:30 can be beaten by harder driving, DRS, and abusing the tires, or with a more aggressive and efficient engine maps. You'll notice no one drives consistently under 1:30, a second or two faster, a second or two slower, but for a race distance this is the performance for the fuel allowed.
What are you talking about, of the stint Vettel did, 15 laps were below 1:30.

PlatinumZealot

Mercedes looking almost out of reach.

"We are dangerous" right now!

:D :D
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:Mercedes looking almost out of reach.

:?: Carred away a little there?

godlameroso

ME4ME wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Look at the 20 lap runs on medium or soft tires like they'll use in the race this year, that will pretty much tell you everything. Lap times in the 1:30 is the time you need to finish the race with the allotted fuel, the tires are capable of much more. This 1:30 can be beaten by harder driving, DRS, and abusing the tires, or with a more aggressive and efficient engine maps. You'll notice no one drives consistently under 1:30, a second or two faster, a second or two slower, but for a race distance this is the performance for the fuel allowed.
What are you talking about, of the stint Vettel did, 15 laps were below 1:30.
7 of those laps were close to 1:30, no one is doing consistent 1:28's on medium or hard tires(except for Mercedes) let alone 27's.

1:30 is the target lap, you can go faster than that without using excess fuel go for it, sooner or later you'll have to back off, either the heat or the tires, or fuel will make you.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Juzh wrote:

:?: Carred away a little there?
:mrgreen: I couldn't help it.

Did you get the joke though?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Rikhart
Rikhart

Could anyone give me some insight on what does a team gain from constant running, like mercedes with 172 laps? Aside from the obvious reliability testing, whats the point of this? I´m guessing they wont have much time to change specs, parts, etc, to run so many laps in just one day.

dans79

Rikhart wrote:Could anyone give me some insight on what does a team gain from constant running, like mercedes with 172 laps? Aside from the obvious reliability testing, whats the point of this? I´m guessing they wont have much time to change specs, parts, etc, to run so many laps in just one day.
a larger and more diverse data set to work from when they go to set up the car.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dren

Rikhart wrote:Could anyone give me some insight on what does a team gain from constant running, like mercedes with 172 laps? Aside from the obvious reliability testing, whats the point of this? I´m guessing they wont have much time to change specs, parts, etc, to run so many laps in just one day.
They are basically doing two testing days each day. It's pretty impressive.
Honda!

GM7

Winter-Test : global conclusion (day 2).

DiogoBrand

I'm a little worried about McLaren: For this season not to be considered disappointing I'd expect them to at least be on par with FI, but on overall best times they have pretty much 2,5s to catch up.
I know it's just testing and we can't read too much into the stats after only two days, but with every day I start to get a little more concerned about their perspective for this year.

henra
henra

:?: :?: :?:
Care to give us some deeper insight?

ME4ME

TheScrutineer
TheScrutineer

Hi,

Check my blog for a roundup of Day 1 and 2 from Catalunya. Welcome you to tell me if you think its crap!

http://dmanf1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/ba ... and-2.html

PlatinumZealot

So ted says the Ferrari had overheating issues today.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028