F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ferkan
ferkan

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

It does appear that Ferrari packaged the car very tight considering HP increase. I guess its better to go aggressive then conservative if RBR thought them anything...

dans79

ferkan wrote:I guess its better to go aggressive then conservative if RBR thought them anything...
Not if it hurts your reliability!
201 105 104 9 9 7

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
ferkan wrote:I guess its better to go aggressive then conservative if RBR thought them anything...
and thats what testing is for to iron out whatever issues the car may have....Ferrari made radical changes to their PU Mercedes tweaked theirs its absolutely no surprise that Mercedes is running 150+ laps in testing from day one.
this from JamesallenonF1 is pretty much the reality:

"Mercedes has refined its car, but Lewis Hamilton said after the first day that it is a very similar car to last year’s. The Ferrari is much more of a step change and the detailing of the aerodynamics shows the level of care and attention that has gone into closing the gap."
It’s early days and the real picture of how close Mercedes and Ferrari are on qualifying pace and race pace will not really emerge until the season starts. It’s the last couple of tenths in the final run of Q3 that is the key to this season. On race pace Ferrari was close to Mercedes by the end of last season.
To make the difference, to win races and challenge for the championship they need an aggressive engine mode equal to the Mercedes for qualifying and we’ll only see whether they have that in Melbourne on Saturday afternoon."

ferkan
ferkan

dans79 wrote:
I don't agree. Is there a team who was more reliable then Ferrari in 6 years? Doubt it, yet I'm sure they would have given their reliability (that is directly connected to them being conservative) for just 1 title, let alone more.

giantfan10
giantfan10

ferkan wrote:
dans79 wrote:
I don't agree. Is there a team who was more reliable then Ferrari in 6 years? Doubt it, yet I'm sure they would have given their reliability (that is directly connected to them being conservative) for just 1 title, let alone more.
the Ferrari was more reliable than Mercedes last year and it got them nothing .... now is the time to push the envelope to know your limits.... at the end of running 2 grand prix distance vettel stopped the car on track because they saw some temperature at the limit.....i guess they had better put those cooling vents beside the cockpit back on the car 8)

Chene_Mostert

PlatinumZealot wrote:So ted says the Ferrari had overheating issues today.
Yes "Ted's" reporting has always left a lot to be desired.

Let me get this straight, Ferrari does 127 laps, some long runs of 20+ laps at a time, spends 20min in the pit towards the end of session, exits the pit with 4min to go and stops two corners later at turn 3.
Now they have "overheating" problems?
Had he reported they had a breakdown it would have been more believable.

But what can you expect from a "reporter" that 90% of the time reports how "planted" and "solid" the Mercedes looks, even when doing a 1min 55 lap :?

PS.
I also think he is the Mercedes tweeter guy. 10/10 for their "quality" of tweets...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

max_speed
max_speed

Chene_Mostert wrote: Yes "Ted's" reporting has always left a lot to be desired.

Let me get this straight, Ferrari does 127 laps, some long runs of 20+ laps at a time, spends 20min in the pit towards the end of session, exits the pit with 4min to go and stops two corners later at turn 3.

But what can you expect from a "reporter" that 90% of the time reports how "planted" and "solid" the Mercedes looks, even when doing a 1min 55 lap :?

PS.
I also think he is the Mercedes tweeter guy. 10/10 for their "quality" of tweets...
i completely agree to it. he lacks knowledge in F1 and ted's notebook is not at all a highlight. i find info/discussions by forum members way more useful to understand tech bits though we do have fair number of Ted's among us.

Gerhardsa

max_speed wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote: Yes "Ted's" reporting has always left a lot to be desired.

PS.
i completely agree to it. he lacks knowledge in F1 and ted's notebook is not at all a highlight. i find info/discussions by forum members way more useful to understand tech bits though we do have fair number of Ted's among us.
Well I don't agree with you guys...

I also don't see the point of this "rant" towards a pit lane reporter?

Please, if you have more info as to why the Ferrari stopped out on track, please...do share.

I am also pretty sure that you are taking "planted" and "solid" completely out of context by suggesting he was talking about how the Merc behaved on a slow lap.

We all know he means that the car looks planted and solid from what we have seen over the last two days. Not from what he saw on some systems check/out lap.

As for Ferrari, stopping. Overheating or indications that something might overheat might just as well be the cause for them stopping the car on track, as posted in the SF16-H car thread.

They removed the cooling vanes on top of the side pods on day 2, which might have caused an alarm at the Ferrari pit box, so they stopped the car. The car is new, and so is the engine and cooling... S@#t can and probably will go wrong. That's why they do testing.

Thunder

Yesterday on the AMuS Liveticker they mentioned Ferrari could simply have done a low Fuel Test until the Car runs out of Fuel. Every Team does that in Testing to see if the Sensors are correct. I guess that is the most plausible reason for the Stop since it is usually done right at the End of a Session to now stop the other Teams from working to much due to Red Flags.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gerhardsa

That makes sense.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Good to have all sorts of problems in testing than during the racing season. There is a fix to every possible problem and in no way Ferrari's challenge ends here. There has been several small changes which will be refined with time. From what I understand from Nico's interview that Merc is yet to unleash the beast. They want to play their cards only when the racing begins in Melbourne. Fair who's stopping them. They are overly confident so why join Testing at all. I mean this is just publicity. They are definitely scared I feel.

max_speed
max_speed

i am excited to see what mclaren does today ? . i hope system checks and some other verifications would be done by now and today they try new engine/ers settings towards performance mode. i do not think they will go to outright extreme settings straightaway and will still focus on gathering more mileage but i do think they will push for boundaries bit more.

Rhodium

can somebody make that for 2 days past ?

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Rikhart wrote:Could anyone give me some insight on what does a team gain from constant running, like mercedes with 172 laps? Aside from the obvious reliability testing, whats the point of this? I´m guessing they wont have much time to change specs, parts, etc, to run so many laps in just one day.
After testing was cut from 12 days (last year) to 8 days (this year) Mercedes said they wanted to do 12 days of testing in 8 days. So they are probably just running something like an optimised version of last year's program.

Rhodium wrote:can somebody make that for 2 days past ?
It's in this link

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ri-675307/

Here it is