Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diego.liv
diego.liv

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

They look just the same, different angle The 3rd element is 'hiding'a bit behind the main centre line.

Do they have a SECOND car ready? In the back, yellow Pirellis

NathanOlder

Maybe it's Nico's for this afternoon ?
No camera's on it though ??
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

diego.liv
diego.liv

Edit: AMuS says a second chassis will be ready for Sunday

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 68788.html
Mercedes whipped his program by stubborn. A stint of 12 days is squeezed in. 8 Therefore, the World Cup favorites have completed their pit stop training already on Film Day last Friday at Silverstone. On Sunday, the second race chassis is delivered in Barcelona. It will play the second test week.
Still, there's a second front end of the car, on the back

F1Krof

Gee, they brought two cars. :o
Wroom wroom

jetho
jetho

No, I think that's the W06. I either got that from the AMuS ticker or watched it on Ted's notebook.
Last edited by jetho on 25 Feb 2016, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

balalev
balalev

Thats the last years car in the background

noel

Am I right to believe that the two use the same PU to see how far it can go? 8 race distances so far. Unbelievable.
44 | 22 | 14

diego.liv
diego.liv

noel wrote:Am I right to believe that the two use the same PU to see how far it can go? 8 race distances so far. Unbelievable.
That's what Andy Cowell suggested
But let's take the 2015 Spanish GP, Nico covered 166 laps during the weekend! (28-35-19, 18 Q, 66Race)
Perez covered something like 7 race weekends, more than the 4300kms covered by Rosberg in the first 2015 6 races.

Till yesterday the situation was Image

Sonic
Sonic

Scarb think this is not the new nose : "
"I don't think it's a new nose, as much of a new chin panel to feed the S duct outlet"

turbof1

This is edging towards being off topic, but 8 race distances is not a whole lot. Assuming we are in a situation with 20 races, meaning you have 4 PUs at your disposal, each PU has to last 5 race weekends. That is roughly speaking 3 race distances for such a race weekend, so 15 race distances.

So the Mercedes PU is neither in the clear yet. It's just over halfway the life expectancy.

That aside, it's interesting Mercedes moves towards less spaced pylons. It means they primarily use the pylons and nose tip to create a venturi tunnel in there. The S-duct further enhances it by sucking the airflow through it. This will drop pressure underneath the nosecone/chassis. A very elaborate use of the S-duct. As Bhall mentioned, most teams use it to keep airflow better attached underneath the chassis (I'd argue also on top of the chassis). Mercedes take it one step further by working the whole front harder to create downforce.
They must be working the Y250 vortex very hard in order to create a powerful enough barrier between the Y250 area and the chassis turning vanes, which allows the airflow inbetween the Y250 area and the nose pylons to flow nicely from outside the nose to underneath the chassis. It's very different from most other teams who use the pylons as turning vanes/airflow straighteners and emphasize the air flowing inbetween the pylons.
Sonic wrote:Scarb think this is not the new nose : "
"I don't think it's a new nose, as much of a new chin panel to feed the S duct outlet"
Very possible that he is right. The nose looks very much identical to the previous iteration. The pylons have been relocated and a panel has been opened; neither are part of the crash structure, so no new crash test required.
#AeroFrodo

gandharva

Thunders wrote:So all this Hype for an S-Duct? :wtf:
:D

Gridlock

Sonic wrote:Scarb think this is not the new nose : "
He's saying it is the new nose, but it shouldn't really be called that. Lost in translation.

noel

44 | 22 | 14

Sonic
Sonic

Sorry.

Faustino
Faustino

I heard something last year that F1 teams were looking into using a compound called graphene, extremely light and strong but quite difficult to manufacture.

This new front wing looks barely attached around the mounting, so i guess i'm speculating that they have begun to use this substance if they feel they won't run into failure issues with it.