Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gaz.
Gaz.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

kenny5 wrote:Any ideas as to what those huge handle bars under the air box are??
They stuck out since day 1 -- Are there secrets in there??
Vortex Tube or other ??
They are infrared cameras to show tyre temperature, each pod has two cameras, one pointing forwards and the other backwards.

They ran these in practice sessions last year:

The above image is from Monza FP1. :)
Forza Jules

chuckdanny
chuckdanny

Interesting reminder from Bhall the 2nd of this test from last year. I knew that this flowvis could be real but like everybody i doubted it because at the same time a closed duct?, and this (what looked like) an inadvertently spilling bit of paint along the nose like if it was a bit too liquid, bad mixing from the operator.... but steel it was flowing quit symetrically on both side in an area of possible study =P~
In fact the duct was closed, they just needed to see what was going wrong with the old one while mesuring the suction effect at the duct outlet. Or i'm again perfectly mistaken...

bill shoe
bill shoe

dodds_turbo wrote:For those who need a reminder of what a horrendous looking nose looks like, let me just remind you of this:

http://i.imgur.com/MBVez8L.jpg

:shock: :? :wtf: :o #-o
I confess I'm still surprised that type of nose did not turn out to be the optimum aero solution. My "eye-rodynamic" analysis still rates it very highly in terms of air volume, if not aesthetics.

wesley123
wesley123

bill shoe wrote:
dodds_turbo wrote:For those who need a reminder of what a horrendous looking nose looks like, let me just remind you of this:

http://i.imgur.com/MBVez8L.jpg

:shock: :? :wtf: :o #-o
I confess I'm still surprised that type of nose did not turn out to be the optimum aero solution. My "eye-rodynamic" analysis still rates it very highly in terms of air volume, if not aesthetics.
Quantity does not matter if the quality of this airflow is awful.

Where pre-2014 you could place the nose out of the way of the airflow from 2014 onwards the low nose is directly in the airflow that would go to the floor/coke bottle, which gives some complications. While many teams opted to maximize the height and area under the nose, others opted for a small nose as possible to reduce the area that is blocking this smooth flow to the floor/coke bottle
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

henra
henra

wesley123 wrote: Quantity does not matter if the quality of this airflow is awful.
Exactly!
Air has a sense of honour. If it sees something like nose of the Caterham approaching fast, it will start to try and flee and by doing so fall over its feet, to be run over and crunched by the snow plow. Trapping more Air molecules doesn't make it any better. It's just more stumbled poor air molecules where the nose has to plow through and crush them.

flickerf1
flickerf1

I was wondering if there has been any chatter concerning Mercedes bringing any new updates to the second test. Any response is appreciated!

P.S. If this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it. :)
The Wicked + The Divine.

NathanOlder

All I have read is they will be bringing new parts all the way up to Melbourne.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

turbof1

I moved a few posts about aesthetics and revolution vs. evolution tactics to the team thread: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 1&start=90" target="_blank
#AeroFrodo

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

OO7
OO7

It looks like the same new nose and wing from the previous test.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

"The" new nose.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I can see the chin inlet but the exit from the s-duct is not obvious in Scarb's photo. Is this the innovation?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

flickerf1
flickerf1

Just_a_fan wrote:I can see the chin inlet but the exit from the s-duct is not obvious in Scarb's photo. Is this the innovation?
I found this photo while I was on Autosport's live timing:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcdDEvpXEAAmCQu.jpg
The Wicked + The Divine.

zioture
zioture

Aaronque
Aaronque

From mercedes twitter