McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Thunder

Has the Bodywork at the rear gotten a bit bigger? Would go with the Article Lucky linked.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1rules
f1rules

that part under nda is a lot fatter, also the surface now ends above ther upper rear suspension part, whereas before it was well below

Thunder

Yep that's the Part i was talking about, the one that looks freshly Painted.
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Lucky
Lucky

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

OMG ! Rear got very fat now :shock: They seem to completely abandon the size-zero philosophy day by day. That's not very good news, in my opinion. Their initial plan was to get Mercedes by making extreme and aggressive moves like the size-zero. Now, if they abandon size-zero it looks like they just get conventional to survive. I hope I'm wrong but if you do so huge changes from Testing 1 to Testing 2 it means that you are quite lost in what direction you should take. Maybe it's better for them to start with not so aggressive packaging and let Honda evolve. But isn't it a bit too late for that? This should happen in 2015 so this year they could try pushing harder. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. (also super extreme packaging doesn't seem to be the way to win if we look at Mercedes so let's hope they will do well)

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote: those pics not working for me....
Weird, Pictures work perfectly fine here. Did you try to open them in a new Tab?

@ALO_Power: They are not abandoning anything. They have a new engine Spec that is supposed to be slightly bigger and they have to find the right cooling Solution for that. Better safe than sorry i say. They can always shrink it back in the Future, but having to fight with an overheathing Car on the last Test is the last thing you want.
Last edited by Thunder on 01 Mar 2016, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thunders wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: those pics not working for me....
Weird, Pictures work perfectly fine here. Did you try to open them in a new Tab?
yes....nothing...shame i would really like to see new bodywork. :?

gloomyandy
gloomyandy

Pictures fine for me too. Does anyone have an earlier picture of that area of the bodywork for us to compare?

Lucky
Lucky

GoranF1 wrote: yes....nothing...shame i would really like to see new bodywork. :?

Thunder

GoranF1 wrote: yes....nothing...shame i would really like to see new bodywork. :?
Here is the original Gallery. If that doesn't work someone is blocking AMuS for you. ^^

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... 89983.html
#aerogollum

GoranF1
GoranF1

Thunders wrote:
Here is the original Gallery. If that doesn't work someone is blocking AMuS for you. ^^

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... 89983.html

it works....i think that bodywork is temporary to allow unhindered testing here...will be back to tight as soon as any reability fears are done.

aleks_ader

ALO_Power wrote:OMG ! Rear got very fat now :shock: They seem to completely abandon the size-zero philosophy day by day. That's not very good news, in my opinion. Their initial plan was to get Mercedes by making extreme and aggressive moves like the size-zero.

Ask last-years Ferrari team. How they made no compromised PU packaging and how well pan out for them. There we have proof how could you steer the development process. First you go big and than you go small.
Maybe it's better for them to start with not so aggressive packaging and let Honda evolve.
That is the KEY!! Mcl Honda are one team and to help each other you sometime must go 2 steps back in order to do 3 steps further.
But isn't it a bit too late for that? This should happen in 2015 so this year they could try pushing harder. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.
Better later than never.

But could they just tested package for the "hot-races". That would be also the option. But it is less likely in my opinion (all that Pu thing).
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bauc

I'm sure that the new ''fat'' engine cover on the mp431 is just for testing only, filled under with a ton of sensors and different gimmicks. Once they feel confident enough we will see the engine cover going back to its original form/concept.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg