McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Redragon

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

I don't think it is really big difference if you look top pic from that perspective still looks slim but from side angle looks big, that could be the use of a wide lenses used to take the picture. I think I need more pics to compare before any conclusion

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Let's not overreact, they keep the free space above the floor. This is from before:
For comparisson, the 'fat' one:

Lucky
Lucky

Redragon

Omg! It is not any more size 0 it is size 0.3

gloomyandy
gloomyandy

So what is likely to be under that part of the body work? Different exhaust routing? Could this just be to get a different airflow ?

namao
namao

I remember this "size fat" McLaren Honda concept... :lol:

Avocado
Avocado

ALO_Power wrote:OMG ! Rear got very fat now :shock: They seem to completely abandon the size-zero philosophy day by day. That's not very good news, in my opinion. Their initial plan was to get Mercedes by making extreme and aggressive moves like the size-zero. Now, if they abandon size-zero it looks like they just get conventional to survive. I hope I'm wrong but if you do so huge changes from Testing 1 to Testing 2 it means that you are quite lost in what direction you should take. Maybe it's better for them to start with not so aggressive packaging and let Honda evolve. But isn't it a bit too late for that? This should happen in 2015 so this year they could try pushing harder. Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. (also super extreme packaging doesn't seem to be the way to win if we look at Mercedes so let's hope they will do well)
Jesus Christ, can you stop overreacting? It's a little "fatter" under the NDA, that's all. #-o Nothing special.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

gloomyandy wrote:So what is likely to be under that part of the body work? Different exhaust routing?
No pics yet, so no answers neither.
gloomyandy wrote:Could this just be to get a different airflow ?
Most probably to get more/better airflow.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... na-676497/
However, in a bid to help improve the cooling characteristics of the internal combustion engine and energy recovery components, McLaren is evaluating a tweaked engine cover solution to improve airflow.
On a sidenote: can we please stop overreacting. [-o<
Alonso just did a 1:25.519, the car is improving even though it has a 'fat' ass now.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Well you are right. Don't worry, I want to see McLaren-Honda winning more than anyone else. But after 2015 fears are very high. I hope they find their way to the top as soon as possible.

Thunder

Last edited by Thunder on 01 Mar 2016, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

That undercut keeps amazing me. That is way more important than the outlet.

mclaren111

They have not changed their Bargeboard much over the last couple of seasons :( :(

I am sure we will see developments soon
:D :D

bhall II
bhall II

I could be wrong here, but I tend to think the new sidepod profile signifies the adoption of Ferrari's "winged" cooling configuration. (Ignore the green boxes.)
Lucky-ish wrote:Image

If so, it allows the radiators to be oriented in a more horizontal position (better packaging), and it doesn't require much open bodywork at the rear of the car (better aero efficiency).

(I think) Red Bull did it last year...

...and retained it this year:

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

bauc wrote:I'm sure that the new ''fat'' engine cover on the mp431 is just for testing only, filled under with a ton of sensors and different gimmicks. Once they feel confident enough we will see the engine cover going back to its original form/concept.
Apparently the power unit is taller than last season and the bigger engine cover is to accommodate that and also to improve the cooling to the PU. See the Honda PU thread for details.

It's basically McLaren sacrificing Aerodynamics to help Honda with the PU. They may slim the engine cover down as the season progresses.

f1rules
f1rules