Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Giorgio Piola and Matt Somerfield:

Mercedes continue to pile on the pressure, having concentrated on updates at the front of the W07 during the first week of tests, the team has mounted a totally revised rear wing assembly on day one of the second test.

The new wing features two much taller leading edge tyre wake slots, rather than the short singular slot. You'll also note that it has carefully shaped the endplate just under the flapped section to define the flow structures.

The cutout behind the flapped region has also been revised as the team explore ways of changing how the tip vortex forms, as this can be damaging to performance.

Meanwhile, the serrations used by Mercedes, rather than vertical strakes used by other teams, to entice upwash have been increased in frequency from two to three.

The flaps have also undergone some changes from the first test specification, with the upper flap now featuring a straight outer edge, whilst the centreline V groove has been shrunk too (marked in yellow). Meanwhile, the centreline dip has been inverted (marked in purple).

It is our understanding that the first test specification is more of a lower downforce configuration, and will still be used during the season. Whilst this new specification is the first look at what we can expect to see at some of the higher downforce tracks.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Aaronque
Aaronque

Silhouette of the new rear wing

Aaronque
Aaronque

Aaronque
Aaronque

Aaronque
Aaronque

dans79

is it just me, or is the coke bottle even narrower & shorter than last year?
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/704589405869248513
201 105 104 9 9 7

kreuzass
kreuzass

Seems to be. I tend to say yes.

In some way the whole car is a piece of art. Only one thing seems to be missing: engine cover out of one piece. I think then it will become the appearance of beeing nearly perfect.

So much details. Just looking at this car is driving me crazy. Very nice. =D>

mantikos
mantikos

dans79 wrote:is it just me, or is the coke bottle even narrower & shorter than last year?

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/704589405869248513

it is!

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

kreuzass wrote:Seems to be. I tend to say yes.

In some way the whole car is a piece of art. Only one thing seems to be missing: engine cover out of one piece. I think then it will become the appearance of beeing nearly perfect.

So much details. Just looking at this car is driving me crazy. Very nice. =D>
Agreed 100%. I love how the entire car looks. The nose not so much but still...love the rear of the car though all the way from that gigantic air intake down. That hunkered down look of the intake reminds me of the leaping cat emblem of Jaguar for some reason.

OO7
OO7

New monkey seat:

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

When Mercedes say that the testing spec is going to be the same as Melbourne, I understand now. They are so ahead on development bringing all these parts to Barcelona that they are ahead of the game and will have all the aero validated while other teams will have new packages but no running in them

bill shoe
bill shoe

Pains me to say it (cause not a Mercedes fan), but Merc seems to be successfully fostering a culture of innovative thinking, at least within the tight confines of modern F1 regs.

Yea, they showed up for 2016 testing about 2 months ahead of everyone else. In terms of engine development, new aero, etc. They have been running the 2016 season on AVL track simulators for months already. I bet they could have run their car on Dec 31 if they had needed to. They have crushing budget, but are applying it well too.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

SiLo

It's like all this hype about Ferrari getting closer has made them finally pull out all the extra bits they were keeping for a rainy day.
Felipe Baby!