McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ferkan
ferkan

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

It definitely looks bulkier at the back today. Is that because of new PU?

radosav
radosav

Great photo.

a1b2i3r45

bhall II wrote:By request...
bhall II wrote:I could be wrong here, but I tend to think the new sidepod profile signifies the adoption of Ferrari's "winged" cooling configuration. (Ignore the green boxes.)
http://i.cubeupload.com/AhHPHr.jpg

If so, it allows the radiators to be oriented in a more horizontal position (better packaging), and it doesn't require much open bodywork at the rear of the car (better aero efficiency).

(I think) Red Bull did it last year...

http://i.cubeupload.com/jjlopx.jpg

...and retained it this year:

http://i.cubeupload.com/n5Y4HJ.jpg
It is a picture from last week's test. The little wings on the radiator can be seen. So i dont think that's it.

mclaren111

Matt Morris:
“We will continue to maximise our track time over the coming days, to work on ironing out reliability niggles and move on to longer runs. We also have some new aero parts arriving overnight, which will be assessed on track tomorrow with Jenson.”
Look out for new parts on car today =P~ =P~ =P~

Thunder

Another Picture of the bigger rear Bodywork. Nothing new but good quality. Open in new Tab for big Version.
Last edited by Thunder on 02 Mar 2016, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Abarth

trinidefender wrote:[[...]
- if a new fuel is used then this new fuel will probably contain more energy, more energy means more heat = higher cooling requirements
- if it is a result of new combustion chamber coatings that reduce heat transfer then yes cooling requirements will go down.
- if it is a result of increased cyclinder pressure then that will result in a higher temperature and more heat transfer so higher cooling requirements
[...]
I agree about the fuel, obviously.

I do not agree about higher mep, you cannot get higher mep with the same fuel (amount) while transferring more heat to the walls.
You can achieve it by preventing this, eg isolating the flame with a layer of air.
I believe that is done, as these engine do not run stoichiometric, but with massive excess air (we could see this in a Honda Video, where the manifold pressures have been displayed).

There is only one scenario where the cooling requirement of the ICE goes up with power, in these engines, and that is if you have a higher energy content in the fuel, i.e. your first paragraph.

But this should be discussed in the engine theread anyway....maybe we can have a Mod to move these posts?

Lucky
Lucky

Benson:
It has been a torrid past year for McLaren and engine partner Honda, but is a light emerging at the end of the tunnel? Fernando Alonso was third fastest on Tuesday. OK, that was still 1.7secs off the Mercedes, but it’s a major step forward from where McLaren were last year.
Dig a little deeper, and the picture continues to look promising. Correcting the times for our best knowledge of fuel and tyres, Alonso was equal fourth quickest with Valtteri Bottas’s Williams, behind the two Mercedes and Kimi Raikkonen’s Ferrari.
Analyse the sector and speed-trap times and the McLaren chassis continues to look very impressive. Alonso was second fastest to Nico Rosberg in the twisty final sector; third fastest in sector two that comprises the middle part of the lap and the back straight; and recorded the third fastest speed at the first sector line - which is after the 150mph Turn Three and just before the braking for Turn Four.
The engine’s power output is still obviously a problem - the McLaren was slowest of all at the finish line and second slowest at the end of the pit straight. But at least things appear to be going in the right direction.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

Maybe i'm just slow but does the MP4-31 have an enclosed driveshaft again with the new Rear suspension Design?

*waitingformclarentoputthenewwingson*
#aerogollum

f1rules
f1rules

yeah they have, theyve gone for the solution most others use, instead of angling it forward, trying to cover it with the hotair outlet like last year

KingHamilton01

Looking forward to seeing what new part's are going to be bolted on of the course of the day. Overall thing's moving forward nicely with the car, just 2 more day's with positive running and we can really push on and have a much more positive start to the season compared to the last.
McLaren Mercedes

bhall II
bhall II

a1b2i3r45 wrote:It is a picture from last week's test. The little wings on the radiator can be seen. So i dont think that's it.
Be on the lookout for something like this...

It's the winglets on the high-pressure side that define the feature.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

From yesterday:

Thunder

Apparently new Rear Wing today. Front Wing, Floor and Brake ducts to follow the next Days. https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/705022624968122368
#aerogollum

hemichromis
hemichromis

https://twitter.com/F1/status/705038086229659648#

Nice detail of the new aero details, looks like a high downfoce wing and interesting monkey seat.