Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

We are working on something special and it involves this beauty:

Steven is going to kill me for leaking it. Stay tuned.
#AeroFrodo

Aaronque
Aaronque

dans79

A-Bap wrote:
e30ernest wrote:Maybe they are testing reliability for hot weather or running behind other cars.
I had considered that. But the amount of taping seemed excessive. That much covered would really slow the car....and with just that little patch in the upper corner available for cooling? Looks like something you'd do if you were trying to overheat the engine and kill it.
They are simulating hot race conditions, like they will see in less than a month. Most likely to see if they can get away with the current cooling package.
201 105 104 9 9 7

turbof1

Hmm, I think it's a simulation for Mexico to simulate the amount of air getting into the radiators. If they wanted to simulate higher temperature tracks, they would have taped off the cooling outlets instead.
#AeroFrodo

hixaxon
hixaxon

Is that radiator mostly covered, or am I getting blind?

bhall II
bhall II

A-Bap wrote:... trying to overheat the engine and kill it.
Maybe they are. The only way to find a limit for certain is to cross it.

dans79

turbof1 wrote:Hmm, I think it's a simulation for Mexico to simulate the amount of air getting into the radiators. If they wanted to simulate higher temperature tracks, they would have taped off the cooling outlets instead.
it could be either or, I just assumed it's for Bahrain, because it the first hot race, and the car could be completely different come Mexico.

Either methodology, would work, as all you need to do is reduce the radiators ability to drop the temperature. I'd assume they are doing the same thing to the inter-cooler and other various radiator units as well.
201 105 104 9 9 7

atlantis
atlantis

Or maybe they're just suffer-testing the engine to see its limits (when it breaks, how it breaks, how much it can take, for how long, etc).

Rikhart
Rikhart

What if they testing how small they can get the sidepod entrances, with the enormous airbox opening they have now? It struck me as odd that the airbox grew massively in size but sidepods didnt really shrink at all.

godlameroso

dans79 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Hmm, I think it's a simulation for Mexico to simulate the amount of air getting into the radiators. If they wanted to simulate higher temperature tracks, they would have taped off the cooling outlets instead.
it could be either or, I just assumed it's for Bahrain, because it the first hot race, and the car could be completely different come Mexico.

Either methodology, would work, as all you need to do is reduce the radiators ability to drop the temperature. I'd assume they are doing the same thing to the inter-cooler and other various radiator units as well.
But the desert isn't too hot at night...
Saishū kōnā

kreuzass
kreuzass

digitalrurouni wrote:
kreuzass wrote:Seems to be. I tend to say yes.

In some way the whole car is a piece of art. Only one thing seems to be missing: engine cover out of one piece. I think then it will become the appearance of beeing nearly perfect.

So much details. Just looking at this car is driving me crazy. Very nice. =D>
Agreed 100%. I love how the entire car looks. The nose not so much but still...love the rear of the car though all the way from that gigantic air intake down. That hunkered down look of the intake reminds me of the leaping cat emblem of Jaguar for some reason.
Yeah =D>

Mr.G

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Webber2011
Webber2011

Hey guys, can someone tell me what this is behind the barge board ?
I've seen other pics where it doesn't seem to be there.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, can someone tell me what this is behind the barge board ?

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/SimoB ... q.jpg.html
It's the mandatory side impact structure.

Webber2011
Webber2011

3jawchuck wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:Hey guys, can someone tell me what this is behind the barge board ?

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/SimoB ... q.jpg.html
It's the mandatory side impact structure.

http://i.imgur.com/9ATeFIX.jpg
Thanks for your reply mate, but for some reason I can't see the image you posted.
Here's another pic to show what I mean about not having seen it before.
This is from the other side of the car obviously, but it's completely different to the first pic I posted.

I was wondering if the first pic I showed is some sort of sensor maybe ?
It appears to have a hole in the end and looks nothing like this.